France: Marine Le Pen dominates first round of elections

17 hours ago, Scraps said:

Anyone who can't trace their roots to this country back to at least 1607 is an immigrant.

This is incorrect. Those who came to this land between then and the French and Indian War are rightly called colonists or settlers. They came to an untamed land and proceeded to conquer and tame it and establish a new people and a new nation. 

Following the Revolution, immigrants were only eligible for citizenship after a residency period, declaration of intent to become citizens, and if they were white (which was understood not just to mean Northwest European, but also Protestant Christian), and free men. This essentially ensured that all who came over to the newly established nation were essentially cousins to the American people by ancestry and shared a common religion, making integration incredibly simple, at least on a national scale. Note that among the grievances in the Declaration is that the King ceased forcing the assimilation of the French-born colonists to the north (who spoke French, were Catholic, and were accustomed to the practice of French civil law rather than English common law).

All this to say that even if you want to call the colonists "immigrants," you do them and their posterity a disservice by pronouncing them equivalent with the modern day third worlder pushing their way past our porous border.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LeviF said:

This is incorrect. Those who came to this land between then and the French and Indian War are rightly called colonists or settlers. They came to an untamed land and proceeded to conquer and tame it and establish a new people and a new nation. 

Following the Revolution, immigrants were only eligible for citizenship after a residency period, declaration of intent to become citizens, and if they were white (which was understood not just to mean Northwest European, but also Protestant Christian), and free men. This essentially ensured that all who came over to the newly established nation were essentially cousins to the American people by ancestry and shared a common religion, making integration incredibly simple, at least on a national scale. Note that among the grievances in the Declaration is that the King ceased forcing the assimilation of the French-born colonists to the north (who spoke French, were Catholic, and were accustomed to the practice of French civil law rather than English common law).

All this to say that even if you want to call the colonists "immigrants," you do them and their posterity a disservice by pronouncing them equivalent with the modern day third worlder pushing their way past our porous border.

Your right.  The colonists weren't immigrants, they were invaders.  They stole land from the indigenous people.  They captured and forced Africans to come to this country against their will and held them as slaves.  I suppose the descendants of those enslaved Africans who know no other country similarly shouldn't have citizenship?

By your standards, I shouldn't have citizenship.  I am part savage and the caucasian part of me came to this country after the "colonists" had stolen all the Native American land and broken every treaty made with the tribes and after slavery had ended.  Even though my ancestors had less sins than the descendants of the colonists,  even though my family has done more in service to this country (military service, service in POW camps, firefighting after foreign attacks) than the average descendants of the colonists, we should be deported.  To this I say screw you.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Your right.  The colonists weren't immigrants, they were invaders.  They stole land from the indigenous people.  They captured and forced Africans to come to this country against their will and held them as slaves.  I suppose the descendants of those enslaved Africans who know no other country similarly shouldn't have citizenship?

By your standards, I shouldn't have citizenship.  I am part savage and the caucasian part of me came to this country after the "colonists" had stolen all the Native American land and broken every treaty made with the tribes and after slavery had ended.  Even though my ancestors had less sins than the descendants of the colonists,  even though my family has done more in service to this country (military service, service in POW camps, firefighting after foreign attacks) than the average descendants of the colonists, we should be deported.  To this I say screw you.

You left out you're part moron too.

Edited by wnyguy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If I were calling someone a moron, I’d at least use the right form of “you’re.”

Thanks, I hate grammatical errors too.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Scraps said:

From the perspective of the American Indian, they were invaders, obviously.  In addition, not only were they invaders, they were conquerers.  The history of slavery is much more nuanced than "the colonists...captured and forced Africans...", though slavery is a stain on humanity, especially when viewed from the perspective of the present.   

It seems you've traced your family roots back with enviable specificity, back a few hundred years.  I'm not debating your experience, but I guess I would ask this question--what, exactly do you mean by 'less sins' and how did you come to the conclusion that your ancestors were more less sinny than 'descendants of the colonists', 'average' or otherwise?  

Our family history is much less clear and likely more traditional.  I was fortunate enough to know my grandparents up through at least 15 years of my life, and they were good, decent and kind people.  Of course, I couldn't tell you if they were less or more sinny than another neighbor nearby, though I'd certainly state with confidence that they were less sinny than, say Charles Manson or David Berkowicz.  I do know I loved and admired them. 

Of course, for people with some written historical record, it's important to remember the old adage that history is written by the victors.  How would one really know that whatever accounting was offered was accurate and not self-serving?  Would your great grandfather entrust to history that he cheated his partner in a business deal, or beat a guy senseless in a barroom brawl?  

Besides, let's speak candidly here.  The notion of 'conquerer and invader' is not unique to Europeans, and the notion that there were not warring/conquering/subjugating indigenous people/tribes is naive.  Our history is pretty much the same as the history of other nations and people long since vanished--stories of triumph, heroism, brutality, honesty, dishonesty, life, death and loss. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

tl;dr the “natives (lol)” are sore losers whose way of life and “cultural heritage” got exactly what was coming to them. The land was conquered, just like your ancestors conquered it (and did nothing with it) from the prior occupants, and on and on back to when humans first crossed over from Asia. 

The “average descendants of the colonists” served in several brother wars and spilled their blood on this and foreign soil for the sake of the American people. 

And yes, every American Indian who claims to be part of a sovereign nation should be denaturalized and deported. Enough is enough. No reservation, no sovereign nation. 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Excellent way to deal with fascists. Ignore them. Dehumanize them. Never look them in the eye, they dont deserve respect

Meanwhile the party that you apparently sided with in this battle shouts death to France in the streets. Good for you lemming.

1 hour ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Meanwhile the party that you apparently sided with in this battle shouts death to France in the streets. Good for you lemming.

I'll take the occasional left wing tantrum over right wing authoritarian rule, thanks.