Name one player you hope you are wrong about...

Ethan in Cleveland

This year...for me...its Von Miller.  I know a popular choice is Elam, but I am still optimistic on Elam, not ready to condemn him, so I don't want to be wrong about that lol.  

But Miller is a player I have had real doubts about being able to really get back to being a real contributor.  I know there are positive reports out there, but the game changes dramatically when pads are on and the games begin.  And at his age, expecting a resurgence is asking a lot.  

What I fear most is this...he comes out early and starts to look like he is back and its more of a mirage and is on the field too much because of it.  Maybe gets 4-6 sacks in the first 6 games for example because he comes out fired up and that has people thinking he really is back.  But he is old now, and its been a long time since he played a full season and then had to play a post season too.  I fear his legs will fade the more reps he gets and becomes a liability again in the playoffs.  

Too much is made of sacks...sure they are great, but if a player gets say 8 sacks on a season...that is just a measly 8 plays he made...what happened on all the other plays?  Is Von going to be a liability most plays but still manage to make 8 to 10 plays over the course of a season?  What condition will he be in come playoffs if he plays the whole season is a real concern because it is the post season where we have NOT had a Chris Jones like player making the key stops to seal wins for Allen like Mahomes has had.  

So if the game is on the line, will Von have enough Juice to make the play...worse yet, if he doesn't will he still be on the field than say someone like AJE who may have a better shot at making a real play?  I think it is almost worse if Von has some early season success then fades because he may be getting too many reps come playoff time based on that and that could hurt us more if he gets too many postseason snaps and isn't up for it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's easily Von for me. I hope I am wrong because I think he is done. My expectations for his season are so low. If the over/under on sacks from him was 4.5 I'd still take the under. 

I hope I'm wrong on Taylor Rapp and Keon Coleman to lesser extents too. But the potential differential benefit of being wrong on Von is greater. 

You could be right but my guess is in the end Miller will lead the team in sacks. Now he could do that still with only 5 sacks which would be sad. I think he starts fast but age kicks in and he wears down by season end just like Floyd did. He probably gets to 10 sacks if he can get a couple late in the year and the Bills are still playing meaningful games in December.  

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You could be right but my guess is in the end Miller will lead the team in sacks. Now he could do that still with only 5 sacks which would be sad. I think he starts fast but age kicks in and he wears down by season end just like Floyd did. He probably gets to 10 sacks if he can get a couple late in the year and the Bills are still playing meaningful games in December.  

Id be stunned if Miller leads the team on sacks. Honestly stunned. I still don't think it completely put of the question that he realises he can't go in camp and retires before the season. That is how little faith I have in his remaining ability to play.

19 hours ago, uticaclub said:

It would be great if it came out that he faked his death to get out of paying the Goldmans. Juice is only discovered because he absolutely loses it when the Bills win the Super Bowl, and causes an major incident in the small South American village where he is hiding.

Nah... as far as this issue is concerned, I think things are right with the universe just as they are.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Id be stunned if Miller leads the team on sacks. Honestly stunned. I still don't think it completely put of the question that he realises he can't go in camp and retires before the season. That is how little faith I have in his remaining ability to play.

Not me because our leader in sacks might be 6 sacks. But we’ll have like 6 guys with 5-6 sacks.

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

He can’t be allowed to blow games anymore. He’s just a kicker who has a crisis of confidence. It’s incumbent on Beane to get competition for training camp with the idea of getting rid of him. You assemble a roster with guys bleeding internally to get a roster spot and this critical position has a guy that ended our season, missing a chip shot. He was undependable during the season and sucked in the playoffs. Get a kicker from Canada, the UFL or a great college kicker. Start again with a young guy who doesn’t have the baggage of disappointing his team.

Beane is in a tight spot with this one. That contract will be difficult to eat.

Bills played several tight games last year and you have to figure with all the new offensive pieces they will take time to gel. That means a few more FG attempts and maybe less going for it on fourth down in the red zone

Bills can't take all year to see if Bass figures it out. I'm not sure they can even survive September if he is struggling. 

I mean, we basically want all Bills players to overperform.

Epenesa impressed with his long arms last year. He is a force if he uses that to continue batting balls down. His interceptions didn't seem a fluke, but a sign of things to come.  

And yes, if Von Miller comes back strong, great! I mean why wouldn't we root for any Bills player to be great? That's why I never understood the "fans'" bashing Josh Allen relentlessly as he wasn't "their right Josh". Who cares? He was the one the Bills selected. Just like I want Coleman to do well. 

I have 2:

Tyler Bass. He was not good enough last year, especially down the stretch. Confidence is important & I feel he's lost his. Reports of his uneven play at OTAs has me thinking it could be shaky this year.

Keon Coleman. He wasn't the receiver I wanted in the draft & had doubts after they selected him. Hoping he's something special. I have liked what I've seen since the draft, but only games will tell.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 1

Keon Coleman by far. I am NOT saying that he won't be good. What I'm saying is that I didn't, and still do not understand the manner in which he was chosen.

Josh Allen is our future HOF QB. If you think that a receiver is THAT good, why on earth would one trade down not once but twice before selecting him? He seems to have this dynamic personality. Let's hope that his selection was not something of a publcity stunt for fan appeal.

Look, am I happier to see Coleman drafted early than another CB, MLB, or DT? Yes, much happier and I thank McDermott for doing this, but again; the fact that he would trade down not even once but twice before selecting him causes me to raise an eyebrow.

That said, let's hope to see him rip the league apart and score 20 touchdowns or more!!!

as several have pointed out, there are multiple folks who would like to prove it wrong

Miller, Bass, Elam, Epenesa.  

There are others questioning if Milano can come back from his gruesome injury ?  

Our WRs are marked as not capable of being #1?   Can one of them raise above everyone and get that volume of targets ? 

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I get where you are coming from. But he was playing at a high level prior to the ACL. It's a longer recovery for older players but he has had another 6 months to rehab and no brace now.

I have little faith in anyone else on the roster getting to 10 sacks so I'm still sticking with my prediction Miller leads the team in sacks. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I get where you are coming from. But he was playing at a high level prior to the ACL. It's a longer recovery for older players but he has had another 6 months to rehab and no brace now.

I have little faith in anyone else on the roster getting to 10 sacks so I'm still sticking with my prediction Miller leads the team in sacks. 

It is also a FAR less certain recover for older players.