Kevin Everett

At what point do the Bills address Kevin Everett's contract? This may have been discussed when he first got injured but, i'm too lazy to search the threads.

Has this ever happened to the Bills before? I am guessing they will sign him last even after they sign Roscoe Parrish. Is there a minimum or a max, or even some sort of average salary they are required to offer him?

At what point do the Bills address Kevin Everett's contract?  This may have been discussed when he first got injured but, i'm too lazy to search the threads.

Has this ever happened to the Bills before?  I am guessing they will sign him last even after they sign Roscoe Parrish.  Is there a minimum or a max, or even some sort of average salary they are required to offer him?

360873[/snapback]

I think what happens is he will just a contract that fits his slot. If I recall, the deals of the guy drafted before and after him will be averaged and thats what he will get.The injury will really not play a role. If the Bills tried to lowball him, you could forget any guys ever coming into minicamps without contracts.

I think what happens is he will just a contract that fits his slot. If I recall, the deals of the  guy drafted before and after him will be averaged and thats what he will get.The injury will really not play a role. If the Bills tried to lowball him, you could forget any guys ever coming into minicamps without contracts.

360884[/snapback]

Exactly. It appears that he has at least a reasonable shot at rehabbing the knee like most athletes and this will allow for him getting a contract at his slot level. If he were fine and also showed a lot of promise in OTA he would have case to be at the top of the slot.

If the prognosis were bad due to his injury he would be at the bottom of the slot and might even get a conditional deal.

However, it all looks unfortunate but middling and his contract will be set by the guys picked before and after him and as most draft-tees are signed first in the later rounds and then it works its way up as pre-season begins this appears to be the cause of a delay in hearing a deal is done.

PS I don't remember there being such a clear OTA major injury in recent history for the Bills of a draft pick. McGahee has some similarities in that he too signed a first year contract with a slight but small chance of playing his first year. However, he was hurt when drafted so it is different. WM signed a conditional deal under his cicumstances but Everett sounds less questionable than the WM blowout.

Like most non-1st round draft picks, he's likely going to be getting minimum wage base salaries.

Being a 3rd round pick, it's not like he's going to be getting a multi-million $ S.B. Amortized over the length of his contract, it won't amount to much one way or the other.

Yes, it has happened before......Willis McGahee

I fully expect that Everett will be asked to sign a 4 yr deal with a salary escalator in the 4th yr. He could have a smaller upfront bonus and get a guaranteed option bonus in 2006. Many options exist to protect the Bills and adequately compensate him.

If they could keep his 2005 cap hit really low, the Bills could consider going after DT Wright in the Supplemental draft on 7/14. Teams must use their 2005 rookie pool to sign any players added via the Supplemental draft. :devil:

I fully expect that Everett will be asked to sign a 4 yr deal with a salary escalator in the 4th yr. He could have a smaller upfront bonus and get a guaranteed option bonus in 2006. Many options exist to protect the Bills and adequately compensate him.

If they could keep his 2005 cap hit really low, the Bills could consider going after DT Wright in the Supplemental draft on 7/14. Teams must use their 2005 rookie pool to sign any players added via the Supplemental draft.  :devil:

361643[/snapback]

As I noted above the WM situation has similarities, but the notable differences with the Bills already being fully aware of WMs injury issues when they made the decision to draft him and injuries being no more than the general risks all NFL players have and nothing specific regarding Everett is a notable issue which the negotiating system is designed to deal with and can easily handle, but the differences between when the KE injury happened and when the WM injury happened makes these cases very different in categorizing or thinking about them.

Many options exist for protecting the interests of both parties. however, which options are chosen (insurance with a third party, self insurance by the Bills and/or NFL, escalator clauses, injury settlements if necessary (thoough uncalled for now) and other options will be negotiated and chosen by both parties and may well be wholly different from the WM situation since the Bill knew when they chose WM what it likely meant regarding injury issues and the KE situation occured after the Bills has chosen him.

If they could keep his 2005 cap hit really low, the Bills could consider going after DT Wright in the Supplemental draft on 7/14. Teams must use their 2005 rookie pool to sign any players added via the Supplemental draft.  :devil:

You mean a team doesn't receive additional money since it's an extra draft pick? Otherwise it would seem to be almost impossible to do.

You mean a team doesn't receive additional money since it's an extra draft pick?  Otherwise it would seem to be almost impossible to do.

361671[/snapback]

No, they do not. It's not impossible, but it's much more likely that a team with a large rookie pool, like Miami, would be able to structure rookie deals to leave enough for a supplemental draft choice. Wright is likely to be no higher than a "2nd rd pick", thus, he will be slotted in the 2nd rd