Robot commentators. It's finally happening..

Lost

On 6/28/2024 at 10:35 AM, Lost said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/tech/al-michaels-ai-olympics/index.html

"NBC announced on Wednesday it will use AI software to recreate Michaels’ voice to deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games for subscribers of its Peacock streaming platform, a milestone for the use of AI by a major media company"

Tom Brady may be canned from his cushy new gig sooner than later.    The advancement of AI voice generation may be kinda cool for use in video games but I hate that we're getting to the point where they could possibly replace real life commentators for sports.   If we're going down this path though, there's only one voice that should be replicated and that's John Madden.

It may get to that eventually in the game .

Just have a bunch of robots out there and when they hit each other so hard they brake on the field just have the automatic robot vacuum/sweeper go out and sweep up the parts & get a new robot out there to take his place .

44 minutes ago, T master said:

It may get to that eventually in the game .

Just have a bunch of robots out there and when they hit each other so hard they brake on the field just have the automatic robot vacuum/sweeper go out and sweep up the parts & get a new robot out there to take his place .

These robots might be less expensive than Trevor Lawrence 

• Agree 1

On 6/28/2024 at 11:35 AM, Lost said:

deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games

Recaps of Summer Games.... this is something I'm not going to get hot and bothered over. I don't see it as a step on a slippery slope toward full automation of coverage.

Al Michaels.... is it the good Al from years back? I always liked that Al. Or is it the worn out, past his time, Al from Amazon? Amazon Al only has one year left, that's a good thing.

I think of the Artificial Intelligence Spotify DJ that my daughter listens to. That guy isn't bad, the algorithm is very good. That could make a nice game recap if they do it right.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Augie said:

Some of these games, college or NFL, make the crowd noise so loud it’s almost impossible to distinguish the voice of the commentators. They just become part of the background noise. I turn it up a bit to hear the voices, but the crowd just gets louder! I’m not sure if this varies by network or venue or what, but sometimes it’s fine and sometimes it’s very annoying to me. 

The networks do this too with NFL games.  I've noticed one of the networks, can't remember which one, seems to deaden the crowd noise.  They will talk about how wild the crowd is, but you're not hearing it through the TV.  Whereas others, it's a constant dull roar of crowd noise the entire game.

On 6/28/2024 at 11:38 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

one day it will be AI and robots controlling everything, mankind will be phased out. then the aliens will look down and say "stupid humans" that's what you get for being lazy and depending on robots and AI...

Four years from now

On 6/28/2024 at 11:35 AM, Lost said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/tech/al-michaels-ai-olympics/index.html

"NBC announced on Wednesday it will use AI software to recreate Michaels’ voice to deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games for subscribers of its Peacock streaming platform, a milestone for the use of AI by a major media company"

Tom Brady may be canned from his cushy new gig sooner than later.    The advancement of AI voice generation may be kinda cool for use in video games but I hate that we're getting to the point where they could possibly replace real life commentators for sports.   If we're going down this path though, there's only one voice that should be replicated and that's John Madden.

Only if it’s to discuss how to deconstruct a Turducken! 😋