Robot commentators. It's finally happening..

Lost

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Have they ever tried no commentators? Just make it like being at the stadium? Crowd noise and PA announcements.

2 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Dec. 20, 1980. Jets vs. Dolphins. NBC tried it to boost ratings for two teams out of playoff contention.

I remember that game. It seemed a bit boring and lacking. I think Stampede's crowd noise and PA announcement idea would fix that. 

13 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I remember that game. It seemed a bit boring and lacking. I think Stampede's crowd noise and PA announcement idea would fix that. 

Some of these games, college or NFL, make the crowd noise so loud it’s almost impossible to distinguish the voice of the commentators. They just become part of the background noise. I turn it up a bit to hear the voices, but the crowd just gets louder! I’m not sure if this varies by network or venue or what, but sometimes it’s fine and sometimes it’s very annoying to me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Humans will be seen as gods and their great creators by the robots, and once we die off and the robots make their inevitable interplanetary move they will speak of their fleshy gods from a far away planet and all the others will be in disbelief that these useless creatures had the ability to give birth to the machines.

7 hours ago, boyst said:

i never undestood Romo from the start but it holds true that those who rise like rockets fall like just as fast.

Romo had an insight into what plays were about to be run or what defenses were up to. I generally liked him but he has weakness in my eyes, or shall I say my ears. He far too often talks too much and I have tired of him babbling into plays when the play by play announcer should have already taken over the commentary. Learn to shut up Tony!

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I read recently that AI has been writing game recaps for years. This is just the next logical step

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of internet articles written by AI for a couple years now. Getting harder and harder to tell the difference.

AI is becoming seamlessly integrated into our lives.

If they rolled this out without telling anyone it's AI, people would just think it's a real recording.

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Romo had an insight into what plays were about to be run or what defenses were up to. I generally liked him but he has weakness in my eyes, or shall I say my ears. He far too often talks too much and I have tired of him babbling into plays when the play by play announcer should have already taken over the commentary. Learn to shut up Tony!

I get that about Romo. Most didn't know the x's and O's like he did and was able to tell. The game has changed a lot in just 5 years even for him. I can't break it down like I used to because I watch a lot less, but I could do what he was doing and used to do it just for fun. Especially at games. The Houston playoff game I got an entire series right up to the td. 

20 hours ago, Lost said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/tech/al-michaels-ai-olympics/index.html

"NBC announced on Wednesday it will use AI software to recreate Michaels’ voice to deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games for subscribers of its Peacock streaming platform, a milestone for the use of AI by a major media company"

Tom Brady may be canned from his cushy new gig sooner than later.    The advancement of AI voice generation may be kinda cool for use in video games but I hate that we're getting to the point where they could possibly replace real life commentators for sports.   If we're going down this path though, there's only one voice that should be replicated and that's John Madden.

That began several years ago.

Have you ever listened to Michael Kay on Yankee broadcasts...

"High fly ball", Runner goes", "Snap through to first".

That is about all he says, and with the same inflection just about every time.

Oh yea, and his home run call is "See ya"???  He even does the home run call for the opposing players home runs.

What a tool.

He just mails it in every game.