Robot commentators. It's finally happening..

Lost

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/tech/al-michaels-ai-olympics/index.html

"NBC announced on Wednesday it will use AI software to recreate Michaels’ voice to deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games for subscribers of its Peacock streaming platform, a milestone for the use of AI by a major media company"

Tom Brady may be canned from his cushy new gig sooner than later.    The advancement of AI voice generation may be kinda cool for use in video games but I hate that we're getting to the point where they could possibly replace real life commentators for sports.   If we're going down this path though, there's only one voice that should be replicated and that's John Madden.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/tech/al-michaels-ai-olympics/index.html

"NBC announced on Wednesday it will use AI software to recreate Michaels’ voice to deliver daily recaps of the Summer Games for subscribers of its Peacock streaming platform, a milestone for the use of AI by a major media company"

Tom Brady may be canned from his cushy new gig sooner than later.    The advancement of AI voice generation may be kinda cool for use in video games but I hate that we're getting to the point where they could possibly replace real life commentators for sports.   If we're going down this path though, there's only one voice that should be replicated and that's John Madden.

Pat Summeral is equally deserving and viewers clearly need to able to select Howard Cosell mode. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually love good commentators......it adds to the experience, however, a bad commentator just dampens the whole thing.

Here's an example of good commentating....

I was watching an NHL hockey game one time, many years ago. This dude gets checked at the blue line, like i'm talking a massive hit and he starts sliding headfirst into the boards at top speed. The ad sign on the boards at the time was Texaco (an oil and gas company/service station).....as the guy is sliding into this Texaco sign, the commentator says, "fill er up, please".......and when the dude hit headfirst into the sign, the commentator says, ".....and you better check under the hood".

Now, that is some commentating gold right there.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

one day it will be AI and robots controlling everything, mankind will be phased out. then the aliens will look down and say "stupid humans" that's what you get for being lazy and depending on robots and AI...

Humans are so inherently flawed that we as a species will pursue our own demise,

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1