Sunday Ticket lawsuit alleges price fixing by the NFL

A. Same for the Bills games at the new stadium. You can't sit and watch the Bills play up close anywhere else. That's the way it is.

B. Congress will NEVER, EVER, EVER pass legislation to fight this.

C. The Supreme Court would NEVER, EVER, EVER side with the defendants... corporations will win a vast majority of the time.

This lawsuit won't hurt the NFL... it too popular of a product involving way, way too much profit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I feel the NFL will lose if the show the documents of price fixing ny only allowing the high cost and not lower cost items.

other major sports allow game access on all platforms for all games or just team specific games.  Thr NFL does not have special status to not allow this

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can watch out of market NHL games for $5/mo with ESPN+. So why is the NFL package 20X more?

Two reasons.

1. Because it can be.

2. The NHL TV deal in the US is a total of 625 million for 7 years. The NFLs deal is 110 BILLION over 11 years.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I just want the option to pay for Bills games only.

This won't be substantially cheaper if at all.  You'll pay the same to get less.  Why?  They know you'll do it.  What's the incentive to cut you a break?  It's more likely that they'd raise the price of the full shabang and price the one team subscription at what you currently pay for the whole shabang.

Additionally it then throws a monkey wrench onto the revenue sharing model and it gives ppl like Jerry Jones an argument as to why they should get more of the pie because more people will subscribe to the Cowboys than the Bills for example.  In short, this is one of those things that you think you want, but you really don't.

People talk about a la carte too.  How much do you think an a la carte game would be?  Keeping in mind there's no incentive to price it per game at less than what you pay for everything.  They know what you want to watch.  There are 17 regular season games, the current price is $450 at full retail.  That's basically $26.50 a game (I'm aware there are year to year fluctuations with national TV games, etc but you need to count it as though its a team with none of that).  I wouldn't expect it to be priced a la carte at anything less than $30 a game and $50 or more wouldn't shock me.  UFC costs $80 an event on top of your ESPN+ subscription.  Even if they offer it that way they don't want a person who intends to watch all of the games for their team to just buy it a la carte and give them less money overall.  Again, why would they do that?  They'll incentivize buying everything and call that your "discount".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Best deal is probably paying for a few drinks at a sports bar and watching whichever games you want.

Prefer watching at home though! Or love of course.

This. Last year there were only 5 Bills games that weren't on local (Boston) TV.  That's when you head for The Harp and join your fellow Bills Backers chapter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

This won't be substantially cheaper if at all.  You'll pay the same to get less.  Why?  They know you'll do it.  What's the incentive to cut you a break?  It's more likely that they'd raise the price of the full shabang and price the one team subscription at what you currently pay for the whole shabang.

Additionally it then throws a monkey wrench onto the revenue sharing model and it gives ppl like Jerry Jones an argument as to why they should get more of the pie because more people will subscribe to the Cowboys than the Bills for example.  In short, this is one of those things that you think you want, but you really don't.

People talk about a la carte too.  How much do you think an a la carte game would be?  Keeping in mind there's no incentive to price it per game at less than what you pay for everything.  They know what you want to watch.  There are 17 regular season games, the current price is $450 at full retail.  That's basically $26.50 a game (I'm aware there are year to year fluctuations with national TV games, etc but you need to count it as though its a team with none of that).  I wouldn't expect it to be priced a la carte at anything less than $30 a game and $50 or more wouldn't shock me.  UFC costs $80 an event on top of your ESPN+ subscription.  Even if they offer it that way they don't want a person who intends to watch all of the games for their team to just buy it a la carte and give them less money overall.  Again, why would they do that?  They'll incentivize buying everything and call that your "discount".

I always laugh at the a la carte crowd....whey dont they do it?  Because the vast majority of subs are buying it for their team only already.  The fact you get a second window to watch whatever is on is nice but most would not pay for that.

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I always laugh at the a la carte crowd....whey dont they do it?  Because the vast majority of subs are buying it for their team only already.  The fact you get a second window to watch whatever is on is nice but most would not pay for that.

Also, what's to stop tiered pricing where good games cost more than bad ones. Bills v. KC is $100 while Bears v. Carolina is $30. A la carte though. Yeah....

My biggest complaints at Sunday Ticket are first that so many games are being played on days other than Sunday so they're not included, and that means contracts with other streamers -- and second that YouTube sucks compared to DirecTV's system.  The NFL cash-grabbers are breaking the golden goose they've built for themselves, just out of greed.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Best deal is probably paying for a few drinks at a sports bar and watching whichever games you want.

Prefer watching at home though! Or love of course.

I'm not sure on this? $449 a year to stay home and watch 17 games. 

That's roughly $25 a game... is the average person really spending less than that each time they go and watch the game at a bar?

It's probably a wash. 

• Agree 1