Von Miller ready to prove the critics wrong

Beast

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't need to let a thing go....

You made a point that Von didn't deserve the hate he got for LY.  I get your point about the confidence/bravado just being part of who Von is. 

But at the same time, when a guy goes public with it, he's got to know that fans will keep receipts if his mouth makes a promise that his body can't keep.

I don't blame Von for tallking, but my point is he drew the reaction with his own actions (getting out there and talking)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38858807/buffalo-bills-von-miller-denver-broncos-future

This is one example of an article/quotes in season.  Dr Anderson also quoted here.

I know he made a ton more media comments, but he's getting interviewed weekly and has to say something.  Would you rather he just tell all the fans his knee still doesn't feel right?

Again common sense is something that can be used, that's my point.  Again, why do we hold it against Von for being optimistic LY?  He also made plenty of comments that were "realistic" too, ie: see above link.  Fans just couldn't get past the fact of his contract in combination with some other comments he made.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38858807/buffalo-bills-von-miller-denver-broncos-future

This is one example of an article/quotes in season.  Dr Anderson also quoted here.

I know he made a ton more media comments, but he's getting interviewed weekly and has to say something.  Would you rather he just tell all the fans his knee still doesn't feel right?

Again common sense is something that can be used, that's my point.  Again, why do we hold it against Von for being optimistic LY?  He also made plenty of comments that were "realistic" too, ie: see above link.  Fans just couldn't get past the fact of his contract in combination with some other comments he made.

Players are required to be available to the media.  They are not required to talk to the media, nor are they required to give podium interviews.

The Bills are asked if specific players can be made available to the media, and the Bills can and do decline (the assumption being they usually ask the player).

Von didn't have to "get interviewed weekly".  It was his choice.  Usually the players who are interviewed are the ones who have made strong contributions to the team that week.

“It’s crazy how you get injured, and you come back, and you really shouldn’t have even been playing, and people judge you by a product on the field. I could have easily sat out all of last season, but I couldn’t do my teammates like that. I felt like being later in my career, I didn’t want to sacrifice any of my years.

“But at the same time, I shouldn’t have been out there. I feel like people are judging me on that, so it’s making me a little bit angry, to be honest.”

He said it himself - he didn't want to "sacrifice any of his years" and he wanted to be out there.  So, if he's out there on the field, fans (and coaches!  he was inactive one game!) are going to judge him by the "product on the field".  That seems like common sense to me, if you're intent on going there.

What else are they going to judge him on?  His domestic relationships? 

Allen "gets it" - he comes out of a game where he played like crap and he doesn't say "my shoulder was hurting like hell and pain is screwing with my mechanics and I shouldn't have been out there because I really need to rest and let it heal, ", he says "I played like crap and I have to play better"

Look, I hope Von Miller has a great season.  I hope he wins Comeback Player of the Year though, I'd settle for just 2023 Leonard Floyd quality contributions but lasting throughout the season.  But let's not re-define words like "common sense" to mean "how dare fans judge me on the quality of my on-field performance for which I carried a $7.9M cap hit last season!"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

On 6/28/2024 at 8:28 AM, Beast said:

Bad news for a Bills fan given Von’s track record of public predictions!  🤣

But Von saying he shouldn’t be playing is a bit much considering he was the one pushing to get on the field 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Players are required to be available to the media.  They are not required to talk to the media, nor are they required to give podium interviews.

The Bills are asked if specific players can be made available to the media, and the Bills can and do decline (the assumption being they usually ask the player).

Von didn't have to "get interviewed weekly".  It was his choice.  Usually the players who are interviewed are the ones who have made strong contributions to the team that week.

He said it himself - he didn't want to "sacrifice any of his years" and he wanted to be out there.  So, if he's out there on the field, fans (and coaches!  he was inactive one game!) are going to judge him by the "product on the field".  That seems like common sense to me, if you're intent on going there.

What else are they going to judge him on?  His domestic relationships? 

Allen "gets it" - he comes out of a game where he played like crap and he doesn't say "my shoulder was hurting like hell and pain is screwing with my mechanics and I shouldn't have been out there because I really need to rest and let it heal, ", he says "I played like crap and I have to play better"

Look, I hope Von Miller has a great season.  I hope he wins Comeback Player of the Year though, I'd settle for just 2023 Leonard Floyd quality contributions but lasting throughout the season.  But let's not re-define words like "common sense" to mean "how dare fans judge me on the quality of my on-field performance for which I carried a $7.9M cap hit last season!"

Exactly what I said at the start, you are now changing the discussion. 

I said people needed to let go of what he said.  And also said his play was bad, as was Tres at the same point in his recovery.  

You continued on to say that you had a problem with what Von said to media/etc...

so for you now to change the discussion to play on field is just showing you are grasping at straws now.  We already agreed his play=Tres play=poor/very bad, but what could be reasonably expected.  

Just to be clear, you're only OK with the "Von hate", because he decided to speak with media LY and was overly optimistic about his return?  Or is there some other underlying issue you have with how the situation was handled LY?

I'm losing track of your train of thought, because youre jumping around/changing the focus of the discussion.

Edited by MasterStrategist

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Athletes do interviews.  

and AJ will play plenty- von lines up on both sides- they can play at the same time

Don’t confuse him with reality…

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

But Von saying he shouldn’t be playing is a bit much considering he was the one pushing to get on the field 

He shouldn’t have been playing. Of course he was pushing to get on the field, any player would, it is up to the coaching staff to put the best players on the field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

takes time to comeback from injuries like Vons.   especially at his age.  hope hes the old Von this coming season.   its good that hes confident,  ready to go,  show me,  dont tell me.

He’s telling you because he was interviewed. I told you because you read the interview.  He didn’t tweet it on his own.  

42 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

He shouldn’t have been playing. Of course he was pushing to get on the field, any player would, it is up to the coaching staff to put the best players on the field

That fine… my problem is that in the article he’s complaining about people judging him saying he looks washed.   Look at his tape from last season, that’s the last impression people remember about him and it wasn’t good.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That fine… my problem is that in the article he’s complaining about people judging him saying he looks washed.   Look at his tape from last season, that’s the last impression people remember about him and it wasn’t good.

Again, not fair to say he's "washed" yet.  If it happens early this year, then bring on the comments.

It takes 12-18 months for most NFL players to get over the mental hurdle, knee strength/surrounding muscles close to 100%, and start re gaining the agility.  

We saw Tre go from a superstar to dud (year after acl) to good player (2 years out).  I think we will see Von get back to being good/very good, not great.

55 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Oh, I think Von is washed for sure. He showed zero flashes that he had anything left. His slapping Rudolph instead of having the instinct & ability to take him down was it for me.

On 6/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, JohnNord said:

Agreed.... with his predictions I put no stock in anything he says... but that doesnt mean that I think he wont come back stronger than last year and be productive. I actually think he will... but will he reclaim "Closer" status ... fingers crossed. 

Von has a massive ego, unfortunately that ego told him @ 34 years old, he was fully healed and could still get to the QB... he was still in the process of healing last year.

I love this.... I want my DE to have a huge ego.  Nearly all HOF DE's had massive egos.  It is similar to great QB's they have monster egos.  JA has a massive ego.. he thinks he can throw any distance, against any DB, in any weather.  

There are a lot of very good DE's like Groot, Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsey that had an occasional great year.  But they did not have the huge ego to be HOF great.  Bubba Smith, Bruce Smith, Mean Joe Green, Deacon Jones,  Reggie White, Michael  Strahan, Lawrence Taylor, Howie Long.... all had huge egos.  

My expectation is Von will be a 9-11 sack guy this year if fully healed. 

Edited by Iraq Vet
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:28 AM, Beast said:

He will never prove critics wrong. This is because his fans think of him as a top rusher when we signed him but he was already long gone. Nowhere near his hay day anylonger after his first major injury. Just a massive mistake by Beane, massive.

He was still effective on LA because of Aaron Donald mainly but also having Floyd on the other side helped a lot.

He was still good, but that’s it. Not an impact player at all any longer.

Whatever gets him motivated.

Literally.   I don't even want to know.  Maybe it's how mad he got the night that he and his 220# of a$$ stripper baby mama got into a wrasslin' match and she called the cops on him.  Just do it.   Don't want to hear about the labor pains after all the big talk last offseason and then the subsequent dumpster fire of a season he had.

20 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

He will never prove critics wrong. This is because his fans think of him as a top rusher when we signed him but he was already long gone. Nowhere near his hay day anylonger after his first major injury. Just a massive mistake by Beane, massive.

He was still effective on LA because of Aaron Donald mainly but also having Floyd on the other side helped a lot.

He was still good, but that’s it. Not an impact player at all any longer.

False.

He was excellent in the 2022 season for Buffalo.    Highly productive and clutch.

Did they overpay?   Yes but they paid for his production and his championship pedigree in the locker room.   He was literally the best player on one of the few teams to win a SB primarily because of defense since the rules changes 15 years ago.

The plan was working.   Unfortunately, narrow is the path at his age and the gait he just couldn't keep straight.

• Agree 2