Von Miller ready to prove the critics wrong

Beast

I hope he has a bounce back year, but I'm still wondering how on EARTH Von Miller and McDermott thought he was ready to play by week 5 last season. 

Does he not practice at all? Did he look good in practice against guys putting in 60% real game effort?

I could have easily sat out all of last season, but I couldn’t do my teammates like that.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Von, but forcing yourself back way too early actively hurt your teammates. We would've been better off stashing him on IR and using the roster spot on someone else. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I mean, Von has been "talking the talk" since he was activated before the Jags game, played 20 snaps, and contributed Nada.  

In 14 subsequent games, he contributed 5 tackles, 2 QB hits, and 0 sacks.

My take is "shut up and show me, Von".

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, Von has been "talking the talk" since he was activated before the Jags game, played 20 snaps, and contributed Nada.  

His last game was his best game last season but I’m not expecting much. I’m at the point though with Miller, Rousseau, and Epenesa that it’s now or never in terms of pass rush.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

In all fairness, all the "hate" he got for LY was unwarranted.  I mean Tre didn't even get this heat 2 years ago, when he actually took much longer to return and also looked 'washed'.

If anyone on this board has actually played high level football and dealt with an ACL, it takes most 1 year to feel even comfortable (mentally) to cut/etc off that leg with the same force as prior to injury.  It takes another 3-6 months to get the muscle/twitch back to normal and work through residual scar tissue/mental aspects as well.

That's why most say it takes almost 2 years to regain prior form.  Except for rare occurrences/very young players to get back to form sooner.

Von does talk alot, but it's not like we had a better replacement LY.  Who Kingsley?  

Von might not be the same as 2022, but he'll be very close this year IMO.  8+ sacks minimum, I'd put him in the 10-12 range 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

In all fairness, all the "hate" he got for LY was unwarranted.  I mean Tre didn't even get this heat 2 years ago, when he actually took much longer to return and also looked 'washed'.

If anyone on this board has actually played high level football and dealt with an ACL, it takes most 1 year to feel even comfortable (mentally) to cut/etc off that leg with the same force as prior to injury.  It takes another 3-6 months to get the muscle/twitch back to normal and work through residual scar tissue/mental aspects as well.

That's why most say it takes almost 2 years to regain prior form.  Except for rare occurrences/very young players to get back to form sooner.

Von does talk alot, but it's not like we had a better replacement LY.  Who Kingsley?  

Von might not be the same as 2022, but he'll be very close this year IMO.  8+ sacks minimum, I'd put him in the 10-12 range 

I have to disagree here.

The difference is the talkin'.

Tre' did not take the media spotlight.  He kept his head down and kept grinding.  (and to be fair, I believe the Bills drafted Elam to fill in, and activated Tre' earlier than they should have because Elam wasn't cuttin' the mustard)

Tre' didn't give press conferences talking about how he would be ready at the start of the season, then about how he wanted to play in London and was ready, then on and on.

If Von kept his head down and just kept grinding, he woudn't have nearly so much hate.

I thought we signed Leonard Floyd as a Von replacement, and he did give us 10.5 sacks and 32 tackles (though he fell off at the end of the season)

No one would be happier than I to see Von play a full season for the Bills and contribute 10-12 sacks.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don't expect him to get double digit sacks this season.  That's a lot for a guy his age and coming off the season he just had.  He probably shouldn't have been out there as early as he was last season, if at all.  But, while I don't see him getting to double digits, 8 would be a pretty good season.

I'm not really a critic. Just a fan that views it as a net loss and not really having any expectation for an impact in the future. 

Just going out and contributing enough value to make it feel like a contract is less of a negative would be ideal at this point. 

Von I am sure will have opportunity to be a playmaker again, because we need impact plays in big games. We have a few issues with teams and he was supposed to move the needle. 

This next season would be a good one for him to make some noise if he feels like being loud. The team still needs people to move the needle for the clutch. 

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I have to disagree here.

The difference is the talkin'.

Tre' did not take the media spotlight.  He kept his head down and kept grinding.  (and to be fair, I believe the Bills drafted Elam to fill in, and activated Tre' earlier than they should have because Elam wasn't cuttin' the mustard)

Tre' didn't give press conferences talking about how he would be ready at the start of the season, then about how he wanted to play in London and was ready, then on and on.

If Von kept his head down and just kept grinding, he woudn't have nearly so much hate.

I thought we signed Leonard Floyd as a Von replacement, and he did give us 10.5 sacks and 32 tackles (though he fell off at the end of the season)

No one would be happier than I to see Von play a full season for the Bills and contribute 10-12 sacks.

"The talkin" as you say, is just each players confidence/bravado...you have to be able to let that go.  What matters is the output on the field.  Both Von and Tre needed more time than 1 year to get back on track.  Just because Von was confident, and Tre by all accounts didn't talk because he really took the injury hard mentally/almost depression at first, doesn't matter either way. 

Everyone handles adversity differently, from a mental and physical stand point.  Von chose to be optimistic and his "talkin" is part of that inner drive/confidence.  It's real, not fake attitude, and just his way of going about his business and what he believed he could do to help his team LY.

Von is guilty of getting certain fans' hopes up for LY.  You can choose to believe every word Von, Beane, Coach, Josh, anyone on this team says, but the reality is these guys have certain ways of dealing with media based on their personalities, and everyone should use some common sense as well.  Josh saying he was fine after his elbow injury in 2022 was an example of his true 'tough' attitude/grit, he isn't going to admit he's severely injured.  And that's just another thing that makes Josh a great teammate and player in my eyes...in this day and age where some would rather spew excuses.   

All that matters is what version of Von shows up this year.  2022/close to 2022 Von OR a washed up player who got their end of career derailed by a bad injury. My money is on the former, and we will get a solid preview in about a month.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Best case scenario is 2017 Terrell Suggs. Tore his Achilles in 2015. 11 sacks age 35 in 2017.

I hope so too, but Suggs also had 8 sacks in 2016 when he came back vs. zero for Von's first season back 😬. Maybe the timing of Suggs's injury earlier in the 2015 season helped? 🤞

26 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I hope so too, but Suggs also had 8 sacks in 2016 when he came back vs. zero for Von's first season back 😬. Maybe the timing of Suggs's injury earlier in the 2015 season helped? 🤞

I’m more concerned with his age. The injury should be over with. He’s able to train like normal again. The age is the biggest thing against him.

Let’s all hope he is getting his mojo workin, 👍