Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

What tore it for me was the Denver challenge late in the 4th quarter.  For all the McD fans, how do you justify challenging a 9-yard incompletion on 1st down?  We needed that TO down the stretch and lost the game partly because we didn't have it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

No

He lost all the games Peterman started

10-11 regular season record in games that Allen didn't start (every game in 2017 and weeks 1, 7, 8, 9, 10 in 2018). 2018 had starts by Peterman, Derek Anderson, and Matt Barkley. 

0-1 in the playoffs w/o Allen. 

For the record we did win a game that Peterman started - the snow game against the Colts! The PeterMan got knocked out in the 2nd half and replaced by Joe Webb.

Ironically I think 2017 and 2018 are McD's best seasons as a coach. Those are the only years he had the team outperform its talent level. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What tore it for me was the Denver challenge late in the 4th quarter.  For all the McD fans, how do you justify challenging a 9-yard incompletion on 1st down?  We needed that TO down the stretch and lost the game partly because we didn't have it.

You know in retrospect that was possibly the worst coached Bills game of the millennium. A comedy of coaching errors at every possible juncture culminating in an ending so bad I actually laughed out loud instead of the usual feeling of depression after a loss. Seven years into this regime and we managed to reach new depths of failure.

I appreciate the fans who are trying to stay optimistic but it's just so hard to convince myself that the man responsible for that monstrosity of a game, on top of everything else, is ever going to hoist a Lombardi.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Process said:

You can think he's a top 10 coach and want to move on at the same time. 

I think this is kind of where I land.

McD absolutely deserves to be a head coach, but he's been responsible for some of the weirdest losses in NFL history, and he can't maximize what's truly made the team a threat the last 5 years, Allen. It seems like poor asset management to have a defensive head coach when you have a true top 5 QB, so I'd be okay moving on just because of that.

An Allen led team has a floor of about 10 wins, in my opinion. How much has McD elevated us beyond that?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was losing to the 3rd string Dolphins QB at home in the third quarter. The defense blew a 17-0 lead and gave up 24 pts to a decimated Dolphins offense. A Josh fumble accounted for the other 7 points allowed. 

Glass half full his defense held them to multiple FGs on short fields and got two INTs.  One by in the dog-house Elam. Glass half empty his defense gave up 5 scoring drives and let a terrible QB almost win that game.

Who won?

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

@FireChanswill tell you that game was Allen's fault

Other shortcomings are Beane's, or include injuries, or exhaustion/emotional letdowns/special teams blunders

You just have to give them time. McDermott has been granted more time w a better QB than 99% of NFL HCs will ever get and has absolutely nothing to show for it. At some point that will become clear. 

Lol we won. Y’all are hilarious. 

Sean McDermott has never lost a playoff game with a QB talent mismatch of Rodgers-Garropolo in his favor ever. Unlike the golden boy LaFleur lol.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

McD and LeFleur suffer from a similar issue…. They each end up facing off against their old boss in the playoffs and get out coached. That said, there are a few notable missed plays by players in those games that could have changed their fortunes: Nixon dropped pick six, Diggs dropped deep ball, etc. 

Gotta say though…. If Shanny had Allen on his rookie deal there’s a good chance that Mahomes isn’t the anointed one as he’d have likely been splitting a few Lombardi trophies with Allen. 

Well Shanny thought he was better off with a Jimmy G so that’s kinda on him, right?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he outcoached McDaniel by a long way in 2022. But for turnovers by offense the Bills win that going away. But sure he hasn't outcoached his opposite number in the playoffs a ton of times. But equally I don't think a ton of the losses have been coaching failure either.

You and I see this differently. Under McDermott, the Bills are 0-4 in postseason games against the Chiefs and Bengals. In those four postseason losses, the Bills defense has generated seven defensive stops. Total. Never more than two defensive stops in a postseason game against the Chiefs or Bengals. In the year of 13 seconds, the Steelers defense generated six defensive stops in their postseason game against Tyreek Hill and the Chiefs. Ditto for the Bengals defense. In the most recent Super Bowl, the 49ers defense generated seven defensive stops against the Chiefs.

To generate just two defensive stops is incontrovertibly a defensive collapse. But is it a defensive coaching failure? In this most recent postseason loss to the Chiefs, the defense was devastated by injuries. It's reasonable to give McDermott a mulligan for that. In the other three postseason defensive collapses, however, the Bills defense had the horses to accomplish something on defense. But they didn't have the coaching. McDermott and Frazier elected a soft zone/prevent defense. It's hard for the players to generate stops, when you're not putting them in position to make plays. 

If McDermott keeps doing what he's been doing, the next time we face the Chiefs in the playoffs, we'll again use a soft zone/prevent defense. We'll get our usual two defensive stops. After the inevitable loss, we'll hear a song and dance about how Josh Allen can never beat Mahomes in the playoffs, because Mahomes is the better QB. Not one word will be said about how Josh Allen's defense is only one third as effective as the other postseason defenses Mahomes faces.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Do you think he’s a bad coach?  Or do you just think we should look to upgrade?

I used to think he was “alright” but I’m turning. Now I just hate him and want him gone. I’d take my chances with a monkey holding a clipboard. 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Outcoached McDaniel?  That was a razor thin victory against the Dolphins 3rd string QB?  

Yes. Because of dumb ***** the players did. That game was a total coaching mismatch. It should have been a blowout win. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. Because of dumb ***** the players did. That game was a total coaching mismatch. It should have been a blowout win. 

You’re right, it should have been a total blowout.  Who is responsible for the game management and player conduct?  McDermott doesn’t blow team out in the playoffs! He generates leads and then goes into a shell.  

He’s notoriously awful at making halftime adjustments and letting teams back in games with his play not to lose mentality.  Last year we lost to the Jets 2nd string QB, Russell Wilson, MacJones, and 2 inches from losing to Tyron Taylor.  All of those games we had 4th quarter leads and allowed these bottom of the barrel offenses to win / nearly win the game.  McDermott is the defensive version of super-bowl 2nd half Shanahan.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

To generate just two defensive stops is incontrovertibly a defensive collapse. But is it a defensive coaching failure? In this most recent postseason loss to the Chiefs, the defense was devastated by injuries. It's reasonable to give McDermott a mulligan for that. In the other three postseason defensive collapses, however, the Bills defense had the horses to accomplish something on defense. But they didn't have the coaching. McDermott and Frazier elected a soft zone/prevent defense. It's hard for the players to generate stops, when you're not putting them in position to make plays.

The defense has unquestionably played poorly in the playoff losses to the Chiefs and Bengals. But I don't think it has primarily been because of scheme or coaching. That isn't to say there isn't an element there that ultimately falls to coaching. But they have been shorn of key players in each of the playoff losses since the AFCCG of 2020. And there have been other contributory factors too (the Bengals game I put a total line through not a single Bill turned up ready to play that day, whether through locker room disputes or the mental exhaustion of the Hamlin situation or whatever). 

The prevent defense thing gets thrown around but on tape it isn't really true. They play zone, sure. They are a zone team. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Who won?

Lol we won. Y’all are hilarious. 

Sean McDermott has never lost a playoff game with a QB talent mismatch of Rodgers-Garropolo in his favor ever. Unlike the golden boy LaFleur lol.

Serious question- what do you like so much about him? He strikes me as dull af, kind of thin skinned, panicky on the sidelines, and at this point a known gagger in the postseason.

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

You’re right, it should have been a total blowout.  McDermott doesn’t blow team out in the playoffs! He generates leads and then goes into a shell.  

He’s notoriously awful at making halftime adjustments and letting teams back in games with his play not to lose mentality.  Last year we lost to the Jets 2nd string QB, Russell Wilson, MacJones, and 2 inches from losing to Tyron Taylor.  All of those games we had 4th quarter leads and allowed these bottom of the barrel offenses to win / nearly win the game.  McDermott is the defensive version of super-bowl 2nd half Shanahan.  

And I was VERY critical of him in that period last year in terms of his defensive playcalling. The loss to Mac Jones is one of the worst defensive gameplans the Bills have tried since the days of Gailey and Wannstedt. Though it wasn't "playing not to lose" that was the problem in those games it was actually the ridiculous blitzing. Once someone stole the blitzes page out of McDermott's playbook last year and he got back to calling the type of defense the Bills have largely had success running our season turned around. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The prevent defense thing gets thrown around but on tape it isn't really true. They play zone, sure. They are a zone team. 

Now I think you’re just playing devils advocate.

13 seconds?

15 yard cushion on 3rd and 6 on crucial Bengals playoff possession? 

The Bills heads weren’t in the game, no one showed up, our defense had too many injuries, Bass sucks…I’m tired of the BS excuses like no other team in the NFL endures drama and hardships.  The teams resiliency and mental fortitude falls squarely on the HCs ability to manage and  lead.  

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I was VERY critical of him in that period last year in terms of his defensive playcalling. The loss to Mac Jones is one of the worst defensive gameplans the Bills have tried since the days of Gailey and Wannstedt. Though it wasn't "playing not to lose" that was the problem in those games it was actually the ridiculous blitzing. Once someone stole the blitzes page out of McDermott's playbook last year and he got back to calling the type of defense the Bills have largely had success running our season turned around. 

The season turned around when Brady took the offense over.  He figured out that we could actually develop a dominant rushing attack, extend drives, and control the pace of the game.  The defense did not make any major inseason scheme adjustments from my vantage point.  

18 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Now I think you’re just playing devils advocate.

13 seconds?

15 yard cushion on 3rd and 6 on crucial Bengals playoff possession? 

The Bills heads weren’t in the game, no one showed up, our defense had too many injuries, Bass sucks…I’m tired of the BS excuses like no other team in the NFL endures drama and hardships.  The teams resiliency and mental fortitude falls squarely on the HCs ability to manage and  lead.  

The season turned around when Brady took the offense over.  He figured out that we could actually develop a dominant rushing attack, extend drives, and control the pace of the game.  The defense did not make any major inseason scheme adjustments from my vantage point.  

13 seconds is on coaching. I have never defended that. 

On the second bolded - it most definitely did. Their blitz percentage dropped significantly and their efficiency improved overnight. Despite their injuries. 

Shanahan has the exact issue McDermott does.   McDermott has beaten tomlin and harbaugh in the playoffs and regular season.  Campbell  and mcvey and shanahan. …1-0’vs all of them. People don’t know what they have.  

Why is stefanski on this list?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

25 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Shanahan has the exact issue McDermott does.   McDermott has beaten tomlin and harbaugh in the playoffs and regular season.  Campbell  and mcvey and shanahan. …1-0’vs all of them. People don’t know what they have.  

Why is stefanski on this list?

Because Stefanski made the playoffs with old man Joe Flacco. Talk to me when McDermott makes the playoffs without Josh Allen.

McDermott will never make the playoffs without Allen.