Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It is

At some point everyone is going to come around to the fact that while McDermott has good qualities, hes not nearly good enough to get the bills to a championship

Some of us just got there faster than others

McDermott wins one sooner than LaFleur does. 

Wake me up when McDermott loses to a replacement level QB like Jimmy G in the playoffs

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he outcoached McDaniel by a long way in 2022. But for turnovers by offense the Bills win that going away. But sure he hasn't outcoached his opposite number in the playoffs a ton of times. But equally I don't think a ton of the losses have been coaching failure either.

Outcoached McDaniel?  That was a razor thin victory against the Dolphins 3rd string QB?  

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

McDermott wins one sooner than LaFleur does. 

Wake me up when McDermott loses to a replacement level QB like Jimmy G in the playoffs

He was losing to the 3rd string Dolphins QB at home in the third quarter. The defense blew a 17-0 lead and gave up 24 pts to a decimated Dolphins offense. A Josh fumble accounted for the other 7 points allowed. 

Glass half full his defense held them to multiple FGs on short fields and got two INTs.  One by in the dog-house Elam. Glass half empty his defense gave up 5 scoring drives and let a terrible QB almost win that game.

29 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I believe it was the most yards allowed in NFL playoff history in a Victory

The DEF got torched that game.

We were the first team in NFL history to allow 450+ yards with 0 forced turnovers and still win a game (regular or postseason). 

Luckily for us Rivers missed an open WR on 4th and goal, and their kicker doinked a 33 yarder off the upright. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was losing to the 3rd string Dolphins QB at home in the third quarter. The defense blew a 17-0 lead and gave up 24 pts to a decimated Dolphins offense. A Josh fumble accounted for the other 7 points allowed. 

Glass half full his defense held them to multiple FGs on short fields and got two INTs.  One by in the dog-house Elam. Glass half empty his defense gave up 5 scoring drives and let a terrible QB almost win that game.

@FireChanswill tell you that game was Allen's fault

Other shortcomings are Beane's, or include injuries, or exhaustion/emotional letdowns/special teams blunders

You just have to give them time. McDermott has been granted more time w a better QB than 99% of NFL HCs will ever get and has absolutely nothing to show for it. At some point that will become clear. 

2 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Good question, I'll bite:

• Ryans is new, brings great energy, kind of unproven but looks promising
  • Stefanski has quietly settled the Browns down. We Bills fans B word about McD & injuries, would the Bills have won 11 games with 4 different QBs and 3rd string OTs?
  • LaFleur did well without Rodgers, when nobody thought he would
  • Campbell has certainly turned the Lions around

I'm not sure if those 4 coaches are better than McD, but they're worthy of praise.

I'm not saying they aren't good coaches. They all are. But they have no business being ranked ahead of Sean McDermott.

BTW, LaFleur is 17-17 without Rodgers. Being a .500 coach isn't really anything special. He did win a playoff game last year, though. We'll see how the Packers do this year. They appear to be a talented young team, and they are in the weaker conference.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

37-30 in 4 years. Won 11 games twice (made playoffs both times). Flacco was their 4th starting QB last year, and Stefanski won games with PJ Walker at QB (beating SF in one of those). He's solid.

put him with Siriani

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm not saying they aren't good coaches. They all are. But they have no business being ranked ahead of Sean McDermott.

BTW, LaFleur is 17-17 without Rodgers. Being a .500 coach isn't really anything special. He did win a playoff game last year, though. We'll see how the Packers do this year. They appear to be a talented young team, and they are in the weaker conference.

Pretty sure McDermott is a sub .500 coach w out Allen

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I guess I’ll just have to live with the fact that I’m a sucker for taking the bait. But at least I’m not the sucker that actually thinks this loser is a good coach. 

Ohh snap. You dun did it now. You've got to save comments like this for after a loss or two. 
That being said. You said 2 of the best. Josh and who???  

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I guess I’ll just have to live with the fact that I’m a sucker for taking the bait. But at least I’m not the sucker that actually thinks this loser is a good coach. 

Do you think he’s a bad coach?  Or do you just think we should look to upgrade?

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Describing Matty LaFleur here.

Sure, he only had a couple ACTUAL MVP years out of Rodgers, but it didn’t stop him from getting dogwalked by Niners over and over and over again. 

The bottom line is the folks who are over McDermott would’ve fired like 29 active coaches a year, and Shanny would be on the hotseat.

McD and LeFleur suffer from a similar issue…. They each end up facing off against their old boss in the playoffs and get out coached. That said, there are a few notable missed plays by players in those games that could have changed their fortunes: Nixon dropped pick six, Diggs dropped deep ball, etc. 

Gotta say though…. If Shanny had Allen on his rookie deal there’s a good chance that Mahomes isn’t the anointed one as he’d have likely been splitting a few Lombardi trophies with Allen. 

Any list of this type is going to be highly subjective.  It is interesting that a coach like Mike Tomlin has a lofty ranking mostly based on the Steelers' success prior to 2021.  In the last three seasons, the Steelers have finished 2nd, 3rd and 3rd in the AFC North.   Tomlin has been a solid coach for a long time, but has not been as successful recently.  DeMecco Ryans on the other hand has the #8 spot has been a head coach for one season.  Houston won one of the worst divisions in the NFL with a 10-7 record.  

It's hard to argue with Reid and Shanahan at the top of the list, but after that, lots of changes could be argued, including McDermott being several spots higher.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Trev said:

McD will go down in bills history as the coach who ruined Josh Allens legacy.  Sad. 

It's time to face the fact that Allen has no legacy at this point

He asking w this iteration of the bills will be completely forgotten by history

• Like (+1) 1

Well, one thing's for sure, we'll see where this trends during/after the season and see how it ages.  

Will McD need a 10th season to try to advance past the Divisional Round again?   Enquiring minds want to know.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don't suffer any great heartburn with this list.  But Gordon McGuinness is a Scottish guy who's worked for PFF for the past 10+ years.  What special methodology does PFF use to evaluate coaches?  Or is this entirely subjective?  Why should we consider his opinion gospel?  Hint: we shouldn't.

I wonder if you got a bunch of football, leadership, and organizational experts together and had them examine every team, how would they rank the head coaches.  My guess is that there wouldn't be a ton of difference in the top 10.  But I think they'd find a huge gulf between #1 and #32.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1