Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

One thing that always confused me about the McDermott criticism is that 100% of his detractors would hire an offensive head coach to replace McDermott. But they blame the defense.

I guess it makes sense. I would definitely hire the best defensive head coach available unless Andy Reid or Sean McVay decides they like Buffalo winters.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

It was both. Offence and defence choked. I Don't know why it has to be "one or the other".

Wheen you blow a 16 point lead with 20 minutes to go, many things have to go wrong, and it ultimately stops with the head coach

Sure. Everything "stops with the Head Coach." But McDermott didn't cause that defeat. Nor did Leslie Frazier. Or the defense. Their offense made a couple of crazy plays (they still had prime Watson and Hopkins, they were good) and our offense puked on itself.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Sure. Everything "stops with the Head Coach." But McDermott didn't cause that defeat. Nor did Leslie Frazier. Or the defense. Their offense made a couple of crazy plays (they still had prime Watson and Hopkins, they were good) and our offense puked on itself.

When you blow a 16 point lead with 20 minutes to go, that's on the head coach.

McDermott isn't a defensive coordinator. Hes the head coach and is responsible for everything, including the offence "puking on themselves "

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Combination of Josh allen being wreckless and the defence getting carved in the 4th. It is not one or the other, it was both which led to the collapse

The defense didn't get carved up. The offense could not play.

Here are Houston's drives in the 1st half

Punt

Punt

Punt

Here are their drives in the 2nd half

Punt

Punt

TD

FG (off TO)

TD

TO on downs (off TO)

Here are the Bills offensive drives:

1st half

TD

Punt

FG

FG

2nd half

Punt

FG

TO

Punt

TO on downs

FG

Yeah, I'm blaming the offense for scoring 6 and turning it over twice in the second half over the defense allowing 19 points through 4 Q's in the playoffs lol. Especially when the defense stopped Houston on 4th and 1 and got the offense the ball back to force OT (and forced a punt for the opening drive of OT).  Even then, it took a miracle Taiwan Jones play for Houston to get in position to win.

Just now, FireChans said:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

TD

FG (off TO)

TD

TO on downs (off TO)

1st half

TD

Punt

FG

FG

2nd half

Punt

FG

TO

Punt

TO on downs

FG

Yeah, I'm blaming the offense for scoring 6 and turning it over twice in the second half over the defense allowing 19 points through 4 Q's in the playoffs lol. Especially when the defense stopped Houston on 4th and 1 and got the offense the ball back to force OT (and forced a punt for the opening drive of OT).  Even then, it took a miracle Taiwan Jones play for Houston to get in position to win.

Ok so we are just going to excuse, "touchdown, field goal, touchdown" 3 drives straight in the 2nd half? Even if the FG was off a turnover

Like I said, it was a team collapse. Offence sucked, but defence also choked

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Terrible blitz call. Only had two free rushers to the QB. Fire McDermott.

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Ok so we are just going to excuse, "touchdown, field goal, touchdown" 3 drives straight in the 2nd half? Even if the FG was off a turnover

Like I said, it was a team collapse. Offence sucked, but defence also choked

Texans scored 23 PPG in 2019. Defense held them to 19 through 4 quarters.

Texans allowed 24 PPG in 2019. Offense scored 19 through 4 quarters.

It's kinda easy to see which side of the ball deserves blame.

Forcing a 4th and 1 stop to get the ball back to force OT and then forcing a 3 and out on the first drive of OT is not "choking." 0.0%.

• Disagree 1

Are we really aruging that McDermott is better than the 10th best coach because several years ago, his team ALMOST beat Houston in a divisional game? If we are than it seems needed to be pointed out that  he was just as responsbiel for blowing a 16 point lead as he was for getting a 16 point lead in the first place. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

When you blow a 16 point lead with 20 minutes to go, that's on the head coach.

McDermott isn't a defensive coordinator. Hes the head coach and is responsible for everything, including the offence "puking on themselves "

If the offense stalls because the scheme fails, or because the play calling sucks, sure. It was individual player error.

36 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Nope, I'd say the guy who is no longer the Buffalo DC is what kept Buffalo from the SB. That and the defensive injuries the last two seasons. McD did a great job this last season calling the defensive plays considering how many defensive players were injured. 

McD's defense kept them in that AFC playoff game against the Chiefs with a guy playing LBer two weeks removed from off the street and even he was injured during the game and sat out a few series. 

In the postseason they did not have White, Milano, Rapp, cornerback Rasul Douglas and linebacker Tyrel Dodson for the Steelers game, and against the Chiefs they got Douglas and Dodson back but were still minus White, Milano and Rapp, plus Benford, Spector and linebacker Terrel Bernard.

The Bills lost by a missed FG from Bass.

KC did whatever they wanted in that game. They completely dominated us. The only thing that prevented 40 was our offense being on the field all game only allowing KC 47 plays. They scored on every drive except the end zone fumble and running out the clock. It's fine if you don't want to -1 for McD this game (and the failed fake punt) but he sure as heck isn't a +1.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So, when our O doesn’t puke on itself, who’s fault is it.

Does the guy ever have to take responsibility for anything?

He is the head coach. 
Every coach who ever lost in the playoffs can make excuses…. But they are still excuses for losing.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Just to be clear, I'm saying these guys all have significant warts that would be cause for pause.

You said this about McD:

"You probably need to keep him because the regular season results are so good but you pretty much know you're never winning a championship "

What is the expectation for LaFleur to win a championship?

3-4 in the playoffs, with a large amount of that time being with an All-Time-Great MVP HoF QB. Scored 10 points vs the Niners in the divisional round with said QB with a first round bye in which Jimmy G had a passer rating of 57, 2 years removed from getting mortified by the Niners when Jimmy G threw 8 passes all game.

Yeah, I'm thinking the guy who can't beat a Jimmy G-led team with a prime Aaron Rodgers ain't gonna get it done unless Jordan Love is the next Tom Brady.

Like I said, put these SAME DUDES under the SAME MICROSCOPE. If McD is a proven loser because he can't beat Mahomes with Allen, why does LaFleur get a pass when he couldn't beat Jimmy G with Rodgers?

There's no microscope in the world that's going to help if you think shanahan and McDermott are on the same level 

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

TD

FG (off TO)

TD

TO on downs (off TO)

1st half

TD

Punt

FG

FG

2nd half

Punt

FG

TO

Punt

TO on downs

FG

Houston scored 24 points on their last 4 possessions of the game and that’s not on the defense?   

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Complete defensive meltdown against the Texans after having a big halftime lead, 13 Seconds, one of the worst defensive showings I’ve seen in the playoffs during home field loss to Bengals, complete defensive meltdown last year.  Mahomes best game of the year.  Our OC is the DC and the weakest link every year during the playoffs is defense.  McD is a good human being, a good leader, an above average DC during the regular season but is the definition of an average HC/DC come playoff time.  I’d love to eat crow, but I see no way the Bills win a championship with him as the HC.  

My take is old school DC Leslie Frazier and his prevent defense lost that 13-second game. He is no longer employed as an NFL DC afaik.

I highly doubt any of those other head coaches rated above him besides Reid could have done the job he has done with this team considering the injuries. 

As I stated, the ONLY team with more wins in the last five seasons has been KC with arguably the best HC and a great DC with a loaded team. Without Andy Reid I as KC HC, I think the Bills would have been to the SB by now. I do believe that they will get there soon too.  Think what you like, McD isn't going anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the offense stalls because the scheme fails, or because the play calling sucks, sure. It was individual player error.

Is there any chance a player ever makes a great play on a bad play call.   Or does every successful play accrue credit to the coach, but unsuccessful plays are often player execution issues? 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

My take is old school DC Leslie Frazier and his prevent defense lost that 13-second game. He is no longer employed as an NFL DC afaik.

I highly doubt any of those other head coaches rated above him besides Reid could have done the job he has done with this team considering the injuries. 

As I stated, the ONLY team with more wins in the last five seasons has been KC with arguably the best HC and a great DC with a loaded team. Without Andy Reid I as KC HC, I think the Bills would have been to the SB by now. I do believe that they will get there soon too.  Think what you like, McD isn't going anywhere. 

What about the no squib kick?  What about telling players to commit holding if you think you get beat.  5 yards to take away 5 seconds is the deal of the century.  McD said he was calling the defensive plays during the 13 seconds debacle.  

Greatness isn’t achieved in the regular season.  I could care less if he had a .500 w/l record if he had a SB to his name.  Injuries happen to every team, the excuse is starting to get old.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Houston scored 24 points on their last 4 possessions of the game and that’s not on the defense?   

Things that aren’t true, the post.

Houston did not score 24 points.

Houston did not score on their last 4 possessions.

You know this stuff is easy to look up, right?