Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

3 coaches in the Super Bowl Era have a winning % over .600 in the regular season and have never been to a Super Bowl.

Marty Schottenheimer, Matt LaFleur, and Sean McDermott.

Exactly lmao.

These folks caping for frauds like Matt LaFleur who routinely got embarrassed by his daddy when he had a far superior QB. 

Like I said, most of these coaches résumé’s burst into flames under the scope.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This year is a start over. At safety, CB, LB, WR.

None of us wished for this. We wished for a SB with Super Bowl capable teams. Defensive implosions kept us from that wish.

Now we are rebuilding on the fly. 
Wasting a couple more years of Josh’s prime is NOT worth wishing for.

Sure, so let’s start over by replacing the winningest coach in team history (by %) and 2nd in wins in the last 4-5 years. THAT makes sense.

We’ve been decimated by unfortunate injuries at inopportune times. Not making excuses, but it’s a fact. And I’m not excusing McD, because he’s played a part in the gaffes. But almost every fanbase in ther league would be thrilled to see him in charge. 

Wasting years, IMO, is what you do by starting over. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m sorry, but you’re being serious, right? 

Sometimes it’s hard to tell. 

Who is the other player on this roster who strikes fear, is game planned for?

Josh is The Superstar.

Maybe someone else breaks out this year. But we are talking about what we have seen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I am of the impression that Shanny had some input on trading 3 1sts to target Trey Lance at #3.

I am also of the impression that he had some input on trading for Jimmy G and making him one of the highest paid QB’s in the league at the time.

Do you have info that Lynch forced those decisions on him?

None at all.

I am just constantly amazed at how many folks think that Beane has more than, or even an equal say wrt the draft than does McDermott. Certain coaches control the draft for their respective teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Can’t you arguably say McD is what’s kept Buffalo from the big Dance?  How do his defenses perform in the playoffs?  How many blunders has he made detrimental to this teams post season success? 

Nope, I'd say the guy who is no longer the Buffalo DC is what kept Buffalo from the SB. That and the defensive injuries the last two seasons. McD did a great job this last season calling the defensive plays considering how many defensive players were injured. 

McD's defense kept them in that AFC playoff game against the Chiefs with a guy playing LBer two weeks removed from off the street and even he was injured during the game and sat out a few series. 

In the postseason they did not have White, Milano, Rapp, cornerback Rasul Douglas and linebacker Tyrel Dodson for the Steelers game, and against the Chiefs they got Douglas and Dodson back but were still minus White, Milano and Rapp, plus Benford, Spector and linebacker Terrel Bernard.

The Bills lost by a missed FG from Bass.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Shanny shares some blame, yeah. 

I mean, you’re the one who was arguing Eddy O should be an All-Pro because he was pick #9 and McD should be able to coach him up. Shouldn’t Shanny be able to coach up “his guy” at #3. “Ffs Shanny, make it work,” right? 

So to be clear- you think McDermott and Shanahan are roughly equivalent as HCs? And LaFleur is worse?

2 hours ago, mrags said:

That’s great. He barely made the top 3rd of the leagues coaches. He only needed the 2nd best player in football to do it. 

to some degree… imagine having the best point differential and a long playoff streak and landing 10th

seems more insult than compliment, right?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And when the team needs to rely on a coaching move instead of a QB move, we usually drop the ball.

This is a succinct and accurate way to describe the Bills of the last several years. 

There’s been dozens of games we can directly attribute to an amazing play by Josh changing the tide or outright winning it. 

How many games spring to mind that McD did something unique to win it for us? Most of our big game highlights of the “did they execute“ variety are not all that encouraging. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I don’t know how we can say he would take a 14-2 team to the WC. We are in the divisional round every year, and we lose to better opponents every year.

Tomlin and Big Ben never beat the Pats in the playoffs. Not once. The Pats had the superior QB and the superior coach. 

We feel the hurt more acutely because we play the Chiefs so often.

I 100% agree that the 2022 sleepwalking loss is on McD. When the whole team can’t get up to play, it falls on coaching imo. But there’s lots of coaches with a loss like that on their resume. 

And 13 seconds in 2021

And 2019 16 point blown lead to Houston.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Nope, I'd say the guy who is no longer the Buffalo DC is what kept Buffalo from the SB. That and the defensive injuries the last two seasons. McD did a great job this last season calling the defensive plays considering how many defensive players were injured. 

McD's defense kept them in that AFC playoff game against the Chiefs with a guy playing LBer two weeks removed from off the street and even he was injured during the game and sat out a few series. 

In the postseason they did not have White, Milano, Rapp, cornerback Rasul Douglas and linebacker Tyrel Dodson for the Steelers game, and against the Chiefs they got Douglas and Dodson back but were still minus White, Milano and Rapp, plus Benford, Spector and linebacker Terrel Bernard.

The Bills lost by a missed FG from Bass.

Complete defensive meltdown against the Texans after having a big halftime lead, 13 Seconds, one of the worst defensive showings I’ve seen in the playoffs during home field loss to Bengals, complete defensive meltdown last year.  Mahomes best game of the year.  Our OC is the DC and the weakest link every year during the playoffs is defense.  McD is a good human being, a good leader, an above average DC during the regular season but is the definition of an average HC/DC come playoff time.  I’d love to eat crow, but I see no way the Bills win a championship with him as the HC.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So to be clear- you think McDermott and Shanahan are roughly equivalent as HCs? And LaFleur is worse?

Just to be clear, I'm saying these guys all have significant warts that would be cause for pause.

You said this about McD:

"You probably need to keep him because the regular season results are so good but you pretty much know you're never winning a championship "

What is the expectation for LaFleur to win a championship?

3-4 in the playoffs, with a large amount of that time being with an All-Time-Great MVP HoF QB. Scored 10 points vs the Niners in the divisional round with said QB with a first round bye in which Jimmy G had a passer rating of 57, 2 years removed from getting mortified by the Niners when Jimmy G threw 8 passes all game.

Yeah, I'm thinking the guy who can't beat a Jimmy G-led team with a prime Aaron Rodgers ain't gonna get it done unless Jordan Love is the next Tom Brady.

Like I said, put these SAME DUDES under the SAME MICROSCOPE. If McD is a proven loser because he can't beat Mahomes with Allen, why does LaFleur get a pass when he couldn't beat Jimmy G with Rodgers?

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

@GunnerBillwhat exactly do you disagree with here? I think even Mcdermotts mom would even admit he messed up the 13 seconds game

Yes. I do. The Houston metdown was mainly on the offense throwing up all over itself. Houston made a couple of crazy 1 in a 100 plays on offense. The defense did not blow that game.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

2019 blown lead is Houston was because Josh Allen puked on his shoes in the second half and was throwing bombs to triple covered Pat DiMarco.

Combination of Josh allen being wreckless and the defence getting carved in the 4th. It is not one or the other, it was both which led to the collapse

most are O coaches; Harbaugh was ST (as was Cowher)....like Bills fans a lot of Steeler fans are polarized about their head coach...Tomlin has won a ring and makes the playoffs no matter the qb, but depsite the recent contract extension has not been winning playoff games...McD has the qb, but the obstacle has been KC thanks to no organic pass rush

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. I do. The Houston metdown was mainly on the offense throwing up all over itself. Houston made a couple of crazy 1 in a 100 plays on offense. The defense did not blow that game.

Please rewatch the Houston game.  Defense went into a second half conservative shell…the McDermott special.  

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was both. Offence and defence choked. I Don't know why it has to be "one or the other".

Wheen you blow a 16 point lead with 20 minutes to go, many things have to go wrong, and it ultimately stops with the head coach

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1