Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I totally disagree.

That's fine. I'm not beating any drum to get McD fired. Not even close to renting a billboard yet.

We're discussing whether he is a good vs great coach (not a bad problem to have), and his consistency.

IMO, this team has come into far, far too many games flat, listless, and seemingly unprepared. We have let far too many inferior teams hang around until we either barely squeak out a win or they end up beating us. I've seen him directly and single-handedly botch too many in-game situations.

I guess he's consistent that way 🤷‍♂️

And sure, his demeanor is consistent. Whatever that is worth.

All good. Onto another season with McD at the helm. I hope he makes great strides in the HC role now that he will actually be doing the HC's job. We'll see!

You're always well informed and researched. I'd love to know your favorite McD consistency streaks. Like where are those multi-game streaks where the team showed up ready out of the gate, had a great gameplan, executed it properly, and he got all (most of) his in-game calls correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

while reid is an offensive genius he brought out subpar WR's and mediocre running backs with a struggling TE until midseason. his entire offense was struggling but he managed to have them score enough that on the other end of the ball his defense held the unit together. mcdermott could never do this. he needs too many blue chip players in positions.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A good coordinator is nice, and I agree McDermott is in the "very good coordinator" not "brilliant coordinator" bucket, but the number 1 thing you need in a Head Coach is leadership. That individual has to be able to hold a locker room of 70 odd men with their own personalities, perspectives, off-field pressures and egos together from basically the third week of July to the second week of February (in a best case scenario). That is difficult and it doesn't matter how great you are at designing plays, calling plays, getting on a whiteboard.... if you can't do that you will fail. It is a leadership position. Leadership should always be the #1 consideration. Then you get down to what is their vision for a team, how good are they at the Xs and Os, what sort of in game decision maker are they etc. 

I have mixed feelings about your post.

Leadership matters a lot.

That said . . . if you were to ask me to name the greatest head coaches between 1980 - today, the first names which would come to mind would be Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, and Andy Reid. Were those three head coaches the three greatest leaders of men between 1980 and today? I don't know that they were. But, all three were brilliant at X's and O's.

Think of some of our postseason losses. In the Bills/Giants Super Bowl, we had the more talented team. A good leader, in the form of Marv Levy. But Bill Belichick and the Giants did a better job with X's and O's, resulting in a Giants win. Andy Reid has also done a much better job with X's and O's than Sean McDermott, resulting in multiple postseason defeats for the Bills.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I have mixed feelings about your post.

Leadership matters a lot.

That said . . . if you were to ask me to name the greatest head coaches between 1980 - today, the first names which would come to mind would be Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, and Andy Reid. Were those three head coaches the three greatest leaders of men between 1980 and today? I don't know that they were. But, all three were brilliant at X's and O's.

Think of some of our postseason losses. In the Bills/Giants Super Bowl, we had the more talented team. A good leader, in the form of Marv Levy. But Bill Belichick and the Giants did a better job with X's and O's, resulting in a Giants win. Andy Reid has also done a much better job with X's and O's than Sean McDermott, resulting in multiple postseason defeats for the Bills.

I would add Joe Gibbs to your list. Only coach to win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks. Joe Theisman, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I would add Joe Gibbs to your list. Only coach to win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks. Joe Theisman, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien.

Yeah I hear you. I don't know that Gibbs was quite at the level of the other three. But if not, he was definitely knocking on that door. Call it the top 3.5 head coaches since 1980.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think your can. His performance has been pretty even. You can ask questions about why they haven't got further in the postseason but they have been a pretty consistent football team over the past 5 years. 2nd only to KC in wins in that period. 

True, but the AFC East has been dreadful where the AFC North is a bloodbath.