Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

15 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

If I'm an owner or GM looking to hire a head coach, one of the main things I'm looking for is someone who's a very good coordinator. Ideally a brilliant coordinator.

A good coordinator is nice, and I agree McDermott is in the "very good coordinator" not "brilliant coordinator" bucket, but the number 1 thing you need in a Head Coach is leadership. That individual has to be able to hold a locker room of 70 odd men with their own personalities, perspectives, off-field pressures and egos together from basically the third week of July to the second week of February (in a best case scenario). That is difficult and it doesn't matter how great you are at designing plays, calling plays, getting on a whiteboard.... if you can't do that you will fail. It is a leadership position. Leadership should always be the #1 consideration. Then you get down to what is their vision for a team, how good are they at the Xs and Os, what sort of in game decision maker are they etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. He has had 4 years. Two playoff season, two misses. 

Yep, that's right and he won coach of the year both playoff years. I still might have McD above him, but last year Stefanski did do a hell of a job last year with all the injuries Cleveland had at skill positions.

Edited by uticaclub

33 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

You can say the same with McD with a much better and stable QB situation 

I don't think your can. His performance has been pretty even. You can ask questions about why they haven't got further in the postseason but they have been a pretty consistent football team over the past 5 years. 2nd only to KC in wins in that period. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think your can. His performance has been pretty even. You can ask questions about why they haven't got further in the postseason but they have been a pretty consistent football team over the past 5 years. 2nd only to KC in wins in that period. 

But again, has that been mostly due to coaching and our schemes and decision making? Or mostly due to having a Josh Allen instead of... whoever the Browns are trotting out at QB this week?

We win consistently, sure. But how often in all those wins are we left thinking "wow, this team was ready in all phases and had great game plans and completely shut down the other team thanks to coaching" vs "damn, Josh really did his thing".

I give McD credit in our Miami games. He clearly has McDaniel/Tua's number. The rest it seems we mostly win in spite of coaching.

While we win consistently, I dont think McD is that consistent. Nor do I think the team shows up ready to play consistently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But again, has that been mostly due to coaching and our schemes and decision making? Or mostly due to having a Josh Allen instead of... whoever the Browns are trotting out at QB this week?

We win consistently, sure. But how often in all those wins are we left thinking "wow, this team was ready in all phases and had great game plans and completely shut down the other team thanks to coaching" vs "damn, Josh really did his thing".

I give McD credit in our Miami games. He clearly has McDaniel/Tua's number. The rest it seems we mostly win in spite of coaching.

While we win consistently, I dont think McD is that consistent. Nor do I think the team shows up ready to play consistently.

You could ask the Chiefs the same thing. I’m not sure they had a consistent game in 2023 where they were firing on all cylinders. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You could ask the Chiefs the same thing. I’m not sure they had a consistent game in 2023 where they were firing on all cylinders. 

You could ask the same thing, but it isnt the same thing.

Reid and Mahomes were their consistent selves. It was the dropped passes, and WRs lining up Offside on game winning TDs that mostly lost them games. And Spags had the D always ready.

Plus, you're talking about 1 specific season. I'm looking at all of McDs career.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You could ask the same thing, but it isnt the same thing.

Reid and Mahomes were their consistent selves. It was the dropped passes, and WRs lining up Offside on game winning TDs that mostly lost them games. And Spags had the D always ready.

Plus, you're talking about 1 specific season. I'm looking at all of McDs career.

I guess I kinda thought execution errors like dropped passes and lining up incorrectly and running wrong routes was a part of consistency.

I thought the WR’s being overall horrific and not being ready to play would be the opposite of “firing on all cylinders.”

Maybe they were consistently bad and that’s a sign of consistent coaching?

these are rhetorical questions of course.

In McD’s career, they had that glorious 2020 year. The one where they lost on a flukey Hail Mary, then went 6-0 to end the year. In everyone single game, they won by double digits. They had two games they won by 20 and another they won by 30, where their opponent was a division rival in a win and in, and we benched our starters.

I would argue that stretch was pretty consistent. They of course then beat the Colts then slaughtered the defending MVP.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I guess I kinda thought execution errors like dropped passes and lining up incorrectly and running wrong routes was a part of consistency.

I thought the WR’s being overall horrific and not being ready to play would be the opposite of “firing on all cylinders.”

Maybe they were consistently bad and that’s a sign of consistent coaching?

these are rhetorical questions of course.

In McD’s career, they had that glorious 2020 year. The one where they lost on a flukey Hail Mary, then went 6-0 to end the year. In everyone single game, they won by double digits. They had two games they won by 20 and another they won by 30, where their opponent was a division rival in a win and in, and we benched our starters.

I would argue that stretch was pretty consistent. They of course then beat the Colts then slaughtered the defending MVP.

I figured you'd go to that line of rhetoric. But it was clearly one specific positional unit that subpar and not performing. Us Bills fans should be very familiar and well versed in that. Coaching can only go so far, and the rest of the team was well coached.

Kadarius Toney being a dumbass is consistent no matter who he is playing for.

As for 2020... we sure do miss Dabol dont we? Crazy that if McD is so consistent, we havent seen anything close to that type of performance since he blew 13 seconds regardless of Dabol, Josh, and Gabe bailing him out 3 times.

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Wait now you're placing player execution on coaching? You're all over the place in this discussion.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Wait now you're placing player execution on coaching? You're all over the place in this discussion.

I’m asking @DrDawkinstein because he asked the question, 

“We win consistently, sure. But how often in all those wins are we left thinking "wow, this team was ready in all phases and had great game plans and completely shut down the other team thanks to coaching" vs "damn, Josh really did his thing".”

He set the terms of his argument, which I challenged. 

My personal definition of “ready in all phases and had great gameplans” included players not playing like ***** all year lol.

If your argument is that the Chiefs WR’s played like ***** all year because they were *****, and not because Reid forgot how to coach, you are making my argument for me.

image.png.33da9e3797a13fcf0b2500f892d982ac.png

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I figured you'd go to that line of rhetoric. But it was clearly one specific positional unit that subpar and not performing. Us Bills fans should be very familiar and well versed in that. Coaching can only go so far, and the rest of the team was well coached.

Kadarius Toney being a dumbass is consistent no matter who he is playing for.

As for 2020... we sure do miss Dabol dont we? Crazy that if McD is so consistent, we havent seen anything close to that type of performance since he blew 13 seconds regardless of Dabol, Josh, and Gabe bailing him out 3 times.

Hey man, give me BB and Daboll post Giants firing in 2025 and I think we will cook with gas.

I loved Dabs.

• Like (+1) 1