Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Great. He'd be wrong. They drafted better immediately after Pioli than before him. 

It went horribly wrong about 10 years ago. Not sure why. Don't claim to be close enough to know. But that way post dated Pioli's departure.

There's some confusion here, possibly on my end.  I was referring to generally as time went on. 

We had an email circle and one guy kept joking that BB's goal was to keep trading down his 1st round picks until he finally had the entire 2nd round in hand one year.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills try and be a "balanced" offense and run it more I will be for a house clearing. You can bank on it. So far that is not what they have done beyond a limited spell at the end of last year where after Allen Cook was almost all they had. If they want to become a run heavy team this year I will be wanting them all out. I guarantee you that.

Well see, but I think you may be disappointed.  I just got done watching the presser from the Pats loss.  McD must've mentioned "complimentary football" which he implied was balanced football with all phases, pass/run/defense all being relatively equal, at least a dozen times.  (my paraphrase) 

But it was clear from his statements last season that he wanted or rushing game to be more involved. 

It's going to be an interesting season to be sure.  I wouldn't wager a plug nickel on what they do on offense. 

I also don't understand why how when our rushing attempts went up significantly, that that's not significant as to pending this season.

Well find out in two months.

Edited by PBF81
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

There's some confusion here, possibly on my end.  I was referring to generally as time went on. 

We had an email circle and one guy kept joking that BB's goal was to keep trading down his 1st round picks until he finally had the entire 2nd round in hand one year.  

Well see, but I think you may be disappointed.  I just got done watching the presser from the Pats loss.  McD must've mentioned "complimentary football" which he implied was balanced football with all phases, pass/run/defense all being relatively equal, at least a dozen times.  (my paraphrase) 

But it was clear from his statements last season that he wanted or rushing game to be more involved. 

It's going to be an interesting season to be sure.  I wouldn't wager a plug nickel on what they do on offense. 

I also don't understand why how when our rushing attempts went up significantly, that that's not significant as to pending this season.

I think the second half of last season was very must a needs must scenario. It is not consistent with what we have seen from this team basically since Allen's second year. I have been a long standing opponent of the Bills wanting to be a team to featues the run as more of a change up. I defended Daboll agains the "he needs to build a running game" crowd and I will continue to argue that the long term route for success for this team is Josh's right arm. The team has always behaved that way as well take out that 8 or 9 game run the backend of last year. 

If your fear is correct and they wish to lean heavily into that as their identity I will be calling for change unless they make the Superbowl. You have my absolute word on that. I don't change my opinions based on what the team does. I am absolutely consistent on my view of how the Bills should play and should build and what and where the responsibility for the mistakes lies.

EDIT: on the New England point my disagreement with you was not about the fact that it went to ***** drafting wise. It definitely did. It is just that your timing is out and it significantly post dated Pioli leaving. That is the bit I don't buy. I don't claim to know what the reason is but it wasn't the loss of Scott Pioli.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I have not seen you acknowledge that the Bills would have won playoff games against Mahomes, had McDermott's defense turned in an average performance. (Defined here as four defensive stops.) Nor have I seen you acknowledge that the Bills could well have won the most recent game, had their receivers caught the ball. (As opposed to having 160 yards of drops.)

I'm not a mind reader, and I don't know what's going through your head. A post made carelessly or in a hurry may not always reflect the complete picture of how the poster sees things. That being said, your arguments and contributions to this thread, at least as perceived by me, boil down to Mahomes > Allen, ergo Chiefs > Bills in playoff games. If your argument is stronger or more intellectually credible than that, I strongly encourage you to express it more clearly than you've done thus far. 

I don’t even know who you are lol. 

My overarching is point is that Reid >>>> McD and Mahomes > Allen. And I would feel much worse about McD if anyone else had demonstrated the ability to outcoach Reid/Mahomes in the postseason, but they haven’t except for one game out of the Bengals.

The earlier posts were directed to other posters (not you) in a different conversation and pertained to their immense frustration with McD stemming from their belief that if we had a better coach, WE would be the dynasty because WE have the best QB in the NFL. Which I don’t agree with. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the second half of last season was very must a needs must scenario. It is not consistent with what we have seen from this team basically since Allen's second year. I have been a long standing opponent of the Bills wanting to be a team to featues the run as more of a change up. I defended Daboll agains the "he needs to build a running game" crowd and I will continue to argue that the long term route for success for this team is Josh's right arm. The team has always behaved that way as well take out that 8 or 9 game run the backend of last year. 

If your fear is correct and they wish to lean heavily into that as their identity I will be calling for change unless they make the Superbowl. You have my absolute word on that. I don't change my opinions based on what the team does. I am absolutely consistent on my view of how the Bills should play and should build and what and where the responsibility for the mistakes lies.

EDIT: on the New England point my disagreement with you was not about the fact that it went to ***** drafting wise. It definitely did. It is just that your timing is out and it significantly post dated Pioli leaving. That is the bit I don't buy. I don't claim to know what the reason is but it wasn't the loss of Scott Pioli.

Agree that it wasn't the loss of Pioli.  Again, some complexities, we don't always define things as the discussion moves along.  LOL 

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

My overarching is point is that Reid >>>> McD and Mahomes > Allen. And I would feel much worse about McD if anyone else had demonstrated the ability to outcoach Reid/Mahomes in the postseason, but they haven’t except for one game out of the Bengals.

The earlier posts were directed to other posters (not you) in a different conversation and pertained to their immense frustration with McD stemming from their belief that if we had a better coach, WE would be the dynasty because WE have the best QB in the NFL. Which I don’t agree with. 

A few years back the Pats went into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs in the AFCCG. I bet Bill with Josh could do the same thing.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If there was a “fire McD and hire BB” option, I’d take it imo.

I wanted the Bills to hire Bill as HC. But my opinion and what I want is meaningless. Terry is happy with Sean as his coach and that is the only thing that matters.

17 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

"I mostly blame Leslie Frazier"

"We have seen that McD calling plays this past season as he was much more aggressive over the last DC."

"It was just very unfortunate that Buffalo lost its best LBer, CB, and DT for the season while some others were injured at key points."

Nice try. Sean took over play calling for the :13 and blew the whole thing.

While Sean's aggressiveness certainly lead to more sacks, something we all welcomed, Sean's D folded in key moments against the Eagles, Bucs, Broncos, Pats, Giants and Chiefs. And 2 of those losses were partially the result of a mistimed blitz.

If you want to compare numbers, Seans' D was ranked 12th in DVOA in 2023 compared to Leslie's #2 rank in 2022 and #1 rank in 2021.

And Injuries were not unique to Sean's D in 2023. In 2022, Leslie Frazier's #2 ranked D went 13-3 missing the following players. 

Micah Hyde - 15 games

Tre White - 11 games

Von Miller - 8 Games

Christian Benford - 7 games

Damar Hamlin - 5 games

Jordan Phillips - 4 games

Jordan Poyer - 4 Games

Gregory Rousseau - 3 Games

Tremain Edmunds - 2 Games

Ed Oliver - 2 Games

Daquan Jones - 1 Game (Bengals Playoff)

Boogie Basham - 1 Game

Dane Jackson - 1 Game

Now Sean is handing the DC job to a rookie coordinator. Hopefully, it's not another mistake like Ken Dorsey.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As a guy that did want Daboll to use the run game more effectively, I want to clarify that point of view.

Today's NFL is a passing league and the Bills probably won't have another QB as talented as Allen in my lifetime.  There's no question that the offense needs to be built around his skills.  

However, I get tired of seeing 2 high shells, light boxes, and the general disrespect opponents have for our running game.  I'm also concerned that we can't seem to convert 3rd and short without putting Allen at risk.  

I want our running game to be effective enough that other teams need to scheme for it, think about it, defend it.   Having Thurman in the backfield made Kelly more effective.   Having a legit run game will make Allen more effective.  

I don't want Josh to pass for less than 4500 yards.  I want to make it easier for him to attain 4500 by having a diverse O that forces opposing teams to defend every possible playcall and every blade of grass.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As a guy that did want Daboll to use the run game more effectively, I want to clarify that point of view.

Today's NFL is a passing league and the Bills probably won't have another QB as talented as Allen in my lifetime.  There's no question that the offense needs to be built around his skills.  

However, I get tired of seeing 2 high shells, light boxes, and the general disrespect opponents have for our running game.  I'm also concerned that we can't seem to convert 3rd and short without putting Allen at risk.  

I want our running game to be effective enough that other teams need to scheme for it, think about it, defend it.   Having Thurman in the backfield made Kelly more effective.   Having a legit run game will make Allen more effective.  

I don't want Josh to pass for less than 4500 yards.  I want to make it easier for him to attain 4500 by having a diverse O that forces opposing teams to defend every possible playcall and every blade of grass.  

I want their run game to be more effective too. I just don't think you make teams respect the run more by simply running it more if that run game goes nowhere.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I want their run game to be more effective too. I just don't think you make teams respect the run more by simply running it more if that run game goes nowhere.

Fair enough.

A modern NFL teams runs about 60-62% of the time.  I certainly wouldn't want to run more than 40% of the time when Josh Allen is the QB - except in situations like the Dallas game when the opponent is just giving up the run.

I don't think McD or Brady want that either.  

I just want those 38% of plays that we run the ball to work.  I want a good OL & blocking scheme that opens holes and backs who are dangerous.   I want the opponent's defensive scheme to be more challenging & complicated than just having to stop Allen throwing intermediate-to-deep passes.  

If I'm being greedy, I want Brady not just to put together a good running game, I want to see a better short/timing pass game too.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

None of us is perfect. One way we can make each other better is to call each other out when necessary. I called you out, because I believed you capable of making better contributions to this thread than the ones you'd made. If I'd thought you were already doing your best I wouldn't have said anything.

If someone calls me out, I ask, can I use this to learn about my flaws and get better?  If you take the same approach with my posts, maybe you find something valuable in them, and maybe you don't.

4 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

None of us is perfect. One way we can make each other better is to call each other out when necessary. I called you out, because I believed you capable of making better contributions to this thread than the ones you'd made. If I'd thought you were already doing your best I wouldn't have said anything.

If someone calls me out, I ask, can I use this to learn about my flaws and get better?  If you take the same approach with my posts, maybe you find something valuable in them, and maybe you don't.

This post counts as evidence in favor of keeping McDermott @GoBills808

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

if im being objective yes. he would be capable of learning from past mistakes and improving

if im being honest, the reason i bring up his personality that you seem to not care about is because it very much strikes me as someone who isn't

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If I'm an owner or GM looking to hire a head coach, one of the main things I'm looking for is someone who's a very good coordinator. Ideally a brilliant coordinator.

I would classify Sean McDermott as a very good defensive coordinator . . . most of the time. The rest of the time he's a completely terrible, bonehaded coordinator . . . which is the same thing as saying that he employs a soft zone/prevent defense. There's a reason why Andy Reid hired McDermott in the first place. Just as there's a reason Reid fired him.

McDermott has had many, many years to learn to avoid the boneheaded stuff. When we've needed him the most, when we've faced postseason games against our toughest opponents, he's drunk deep from the well of boneheadedness. A soft zone/prevent defense, making life easy peasy for Mahomes and Burrow.

Right now, the Bills have an asset: Josh Allen's good years. That asset is of limited duration: there will come a day when Allen hangs up his cleats. What is the best use for that asset? Should we continue to expend it on the hope that McDermott will someday learn not to be boneheaded when we need him the most? Or, should the Bills look for a very talented, innovative coordinator to take McDermott's place? There's risk either way. With McDermott, there's the risk that he'll continue to get his usual two defensive stops in postseason games against the Chiefs or Bengals. A first time head coach is associated with risk as well.

• Disagree 1