Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya-  I think safe gets us to the playoffs every season and half the battle in the afc nowadays.  Tough conference that has to eventually go through KC.  Compared to the rest of the NFL, McD has done a great job against Mahomes and reid— minus the playoffs of course, where he’s been injured and abysmal

Then again- I’m likely to be on the Ben Johnson hype train again next year if we don’t win the SB.    My biggest fear of firing McD is that it’ll likely mean the end of Beane too.  Replacing a good HC and a good GM could result in disaster and Pegulas track record in those areas have been horrid minus McB.

that's fair analysis 

And look I'm not crazy... Of course I'd rather the bills be a perennial playoff team than picking at the top of the draft. I'm just at the point where I've seen enough to say the risk of a new FO failing in that manner doesn't outweigh the potential benefits

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that's fair analysis 

And look I'm not crazy... Of course I'd rather the bills be a perennial playoff team than picking at the top of the draft. I'm just at the point where I've seen enough to say the risk of a new FO failing in that manner doesn't outweigh the potential benefits

Also fair-  I understand the thought process 💯 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Inferiority complex of what? Thinking we have been the second best team in the conference? 

Just admit you and @HappyDays think we have the best QB in football and if we had a different coach, we’d be going for our threepeat while Mahomes would be battling Burrow for the title of second best QB.

That’s all this is.

I believe this forum is a better place when people have differing opinions about things. Why? Because it results in robust discussion. It's not as though I'm right 100% of the time. I have things I can learn, both from those who agree with me and those who disagree.

That said, it feels like you're being guarded by a protective shield. It doesn't matter what I say, or what any other critic of McDermott says. Not one word is going to penetrate that shield. No matter what gets said, you're going to ignore it, dismiss it, act as though it was never said . . . and then fall back on the argument quoted above.

In the year of 13 seconds, Josh Allen had literally the best QB rating in NFL postseason history. But, the Bills defense was only 1/3 as effective against the Chiefs, as were the other two postseason defenses they had faced that year. (As measured by the number of defensive stops.)

Do you think the performance of a defense is irrelevant to the outcome of a football game? Do you think there's some aspect of Josh Allen's game, that causes his own team's defense to be only 1/3 as effective as other teams' postseason defenses? How much worse does McDermott's playoff defense against the Chiefs need to be, for you to ascribe more than 0% of the blame to the defense?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Insinuating I’m anti which one?  I doubt anyone would associate me with being either of the above except for you in this thread.

The implication of the quote of yours that I responded to is that Beane hasn't provided McD with enough to properly get it done. 

Money poorly spent by Beane along the DL really crippled McD those seasons

Anyway, just being light.  Don't get bent out of shape.  

You McD apologists are very emotional.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

that's fair analysis 

At this point I can see McD going but not Beane.  

On 6/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, Doc Brown said:

He's 1-3 in the playoffs since 2020.  McDermott is 5-4.

McCarthy is a big joke.  The performance by the Cowboys against Green Bay in last years playoffs should have gotten him fired.    Not to mention us crushing the Boys late in the season. They looked pathetic.  

McDermott kept the team on course after we fell to 6-6 in Philly last year, when the wheels were about to fall off.  The guy is not a football savant.  But the team is tough, is prepared, plays hard and competes every week.  

I like our chances with him leading us.  That doesn’t mean I agree with every call he makes.  But I think the franchise is in good hands w him as head coach.  

We have a tough schedule this year.  But I expect McDermott to have us ready opening week.  And if we are not decimated  by injuries on D like last year, there is no reason we are not in the mix for the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The implication of the quote of yours that I responded to is that Beane hasn't provided McD with enough to properly get it done. 

Anyway, just being light.  Don't get bent out of shape.  

You McD apologists are very emotional.  

At this point I can see McD going but not Beane.  

Not bent out of shape.  Just sharing my thoughts on your post with a reply

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I completely agree. You add a HOF TE like Kelce and a defensive monster like Jones and it's almost unfair.  KC reminds me of the old Laker teams that could just turn on the switch once the playoffs started.

I guess the epitome of my frustration lies in our 10th ranked HC and his 5th-6th ranked Defense can't ever find that switch.  They just wilt and you can't blame injuries every year. We were healthy in 20 & 21. 

We were healthy in 20. For sure. We just weren't ready to play at KC's level. They beat us twice that season and the gap was evident. They were relatively healthy but without Tre in 2021 and Levi Wallace was the player who made two critical mistakes inside the final 2 minutes. But ultimately 2021 was the day we should have beaten them in the post season and coaching blew it. No question there. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But what about style?  You've mentioned prior about the lack of WR investment and development.  And it looks like for the upcoming season the regime has hit a new low.  This regime of Beane/McD/Brady look to have jointly determined the emphasis on this team to be the conservative, YAC, run, complementary offense.

While we wouldn't know if Ben Johnson could beat KC, we do have a good idea he would be supplying Josh with much better WR weapons than we currently have.  Look at what the OC turned HC B Callahan has done in Tenn, got C Ridley + Boyd to go with DHop + Burks.

So I put the WR oversight squarely on Brandon Beane. The way he drafts is the way Carolina drafted when he was a senior exec in that front office. Loved defensive front 7, hates early picks on receivers. I don't believe that while he has control over the draft that will change whether the Head Coach was Sean McDermott, Ben Johnson or Bill Walsh.

If they come out determined to be a ground and pound team I will be the first one to say that they need to clear house. They never have since Josh has been here. They have always been near the top of the league in pass %. So while I understand that fear, especially with some of what happened at the end of last year I choose to believe that was needs must rather than a sign this regime wants to play that way because the rest of the evidence from 2019 on is to the contrary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

For years I held the notion that Belichick was only as good as he was because of Brady and that without Brady he wouldn't have had the rep that he has much less the track record.  His performance in what now, 11 seasons, without Brady, paints him among the worst, not the best.  Horrific record sans Brady, only two playoff appearances, 1-2 in postseason play, etc.

My thoughts about Belichick are somewhat different than yours.

When he was with the Giants, he was a rock solid defensive coordinator. Brilliant and innovative.

Then he became the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. He got off to a slow start, but gradually improved each year. By year 4, the team had a winning record, and I sort of remember them going to the playoffs. He started off year 5 with a winning record as well. Then, news of the Browns moving to Baltimore became public. The team lost every game after that, except for their very last game in Cleveland. He was fired at the end of the year.

After spending more time as a defensive coordinator, he found his way to the New England Patriots. Early in his coaching career, he was building a defensively oriented team. The first Super Bowl that the Patriots won, the team had an elite defense, and a spunky offense with a 2nd year QB named Tom Brady. Brady's early career stats were reasonably good but not great. For his first three years as a starter, he never had more than 6.9 yards per pass attempt. If you want 6.9 yards per attempt, you could get that from a lot of QBs. In the middle of the Brady years, he went down with a season-ending injury. Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as his starting QB.

During the post-Brady era, things were bad for Belichick. 1) Poor personnel decisions, to where the roster was depleted of talent. 2) Cupboard bare at QB. Mac Jones isn't going to lead very many teams to Lombardi Trophies. 3) Old age. Belichick in his 70s might not have had the oomph he'd had as a younger man.

Aaron Rodgers has a QB rating of 103.6; compared to 97.2 for Tom Brady. Yards per attempt is 7.7 for Rodgers, 7.4 for Brady. TD / INT ratio is 4.5 for Rodgers, 3.0 for Brady. But . . . Tom Brady owns seven Super Bowl rings, just one for Aaron Rodgers. Brady has had better GMs than Rodgers, and better head coaches.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We were healthy in 20. For sure. We just weren't ready to play at KC's level. They beat us twice that season and the gap was evident. They were relatively healthy but without Tre in 2021 and Levi Wallace was the player who made two critical mistakes inside the final 2 minutes. But ultimately 2021 was the day we should have beaten them in the post season and coaching blew it. No question there. 

And we didn’t have the talent on the DL, especially in ‘20.  I don’t think that DL was capable of beating Mahomes and the chiefs.  I think it’s been our Achilles heel every time we've faced them in the playoffs.   

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, I agree. We had our bites at the apple,  especially 2021.  In 22 pure organizational and team chaos and drama drained this team. 2023 was all about trying to function with a completely injury decimated defense.  But I concur that if ground and pound doesn't work, we absolutely must clean house.  I'm not a McD skeptic because I have nothing better to do.  I've always been disappointed with his in-game brain f arts.  When will Sean's defense have a legendary playoff run that supercedes JA's heroism?

When??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yep, I agree. We had our bites at the apple,  especially 2021.  In 22 pure organizational and team chaos and drama drained this team. 2023 was all about trying to function with a completely injury decimated defense.  But I concur that if ground and pound doesn't work, we absolutely must clean house.  I'm not a McD skeptic because I have nothing better to do.  I've always been disappointed with his in-game brain f arts.  When will Sean's defense have a legendary playoff run that supercedes JA's heroism?

When??

I suspect the answer lies in the lack of true game changing talents and @NewEra is onto something with that. McDermott's D succeeds in the regular season by being fundamentally sound, well coached and cohesive. In the playoffs it feels like actually they need one or two guys to make that critical play. But it is completely fair to say the D has underperformed in our playoff exits. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Tom Brady owns seven Super Bowl rings, just one for Aaron Rodgers. Brady has had better GMs than Rodgers, and better head coaches.

He's had better coaching, for absolute sure. Better GMs? Not convinced. New England had a really good drafting period between about 2008 and 2014 but otherwise their draft either side of that was sketchy. Whereas the Packers had Ted Thompson for much of that period who was a top level GM. Gutekunst has done a nice job re-tooling the roster since too. I think Rodgers had comfortably better GMs. 

On 6/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, MJS said:

Ok, what have Dan Campbell, Matt Lafleur, DeMeco Ryans, and Kevin Stefanski accomplished to be ranked ahead of McDermott?

On 6/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, MJS said:

Ok, what have Dan Campbell, Matt Lafleur, DeMeco Ryans, and Kevin Stefanski accomplished to be ranked ahead of McDermott?

I'd say they have accomplished just as much as McD without the epic failures with less talent in a shorter timeframe. 

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I believe this forum is a better place when people have differing opinions about things. Why? Because it results in robust discussion. It's not as though I'm right 100% of the time. I have things I can learn, both from those who agree with me and those who disagree.

That said, it feels like you're being guarded by a protective shield. It doesn't matter what I say, or what any other critic of McDermott says. Not one word is going to penetrate that shield. No matter what gets said, you're going to ignore it, dismiss it, act as though it was never said . . . and then fall back on the argument quoted above.

In the year of 13 seconds, Josh Allen had literally the best QB rating in NFL postseason history. But, the Bills defense was only 1/3 as effective against the Chiefs, as were the other two postseason defenses they had faced that year. (As measured by the number of defensive stops.)

Do you think the performance of a defense is irrelevant to the outcome of a football game? Do you think there's some aspect of Josh Allen's game, that causes his own team's defense to be only 1/3 as effective as other teams' postseason defenses? How much worse does McDermott's playoff defense against the Chiefs need to be, for you to ascribe more than 0% of the blame to the defense?

Point me to where I said I don’t blame the defense lol. I have said they have not performed particularly well vs KC in the playoffs. 

I don’t understand what else you want me to say? I think a coach can have a bad performance and not be fired. Obviously.