Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The excuses for next year are already written. It was a planned step back year and McDermott isn't to blame for the roster deficiencies. I'm hopeful that after Allen's age 30 season we'll finally have 95% of the fanbase on board and Pegula won't be able to avoid the inevitable.

For me the problem is seeing the priorities of this regime.  When the resources are scarce the WR room suffers.  For change for that Beane/McD and Brady may need to go.  As you mentioned above, I doubt B Johnson would have the same priorities.  Also B Belichick would be intriguing.

But like you, I fear that Pegula is on-board with lowered expectations.  I just hope the plan is to replenish the WR room with a quality acquisition next year.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

this you lol

defense mechanism on repeat from the guy who says not to take this too seriously 😂😂never change

I thought I had more "fire everybody" posts! And I also provided multiple serious responses; dude chill out you going high blood pressure!

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

yes

i think we have at worst equal best QB in the league and i submit their head to head performances exhibit A

i think if we had a different coach we would be vying for our second SB this season

come @FireChans@GunnerBillthis is you big chance 😂😂get in here and tell us how great the chiefs are

I think Mahomes is the best QB in football. Reid is the best coach in football. And when the best QB and best Coach get together history says its really hard to beat them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is mainly correct. Although Brown wasn't around in 2021. He had gone and we had brought in Sanders but by the playoffs Gabe had supplanted him as the starter. The OL had actually been a weakness for much of 2021 - it hadn't been able to do much of anything and had cost us defeats in the regular season but they did find a bit of something down the stretch and play well, at least in pass pro, in the playoffs. I actually think the current line is the one thing we have on offense better than in 2021.

But I agree (leaving the defense aside for a moment and no argument the defense needs to play better than in our playoff exits) the offense hasn't been at its best in the past two playoff campaigns. They have missed Daboll's creativity (and arguably his chemistry with Josh) and the offensive weaponary hasn't been good enough. I am cautiously optimistic on Brady, he certainly added some creative wrinkles when he took over last year, I am less so on the weaponary. Think the WR room is probably another offseason away from being Championship ready.

They tried various OL at that OG spot. Late in the season they put in Ryan Bates. While Bates didn't provide the quality of play you'd want from a long-term starter, he was an upgrade over the previous players at that position. He took a major weakness of the OL, and turned it into something which was okay but not great. Upgrading the line's weak spot elevated the unit as a whole. Also I will add this: during that late season and postseason stretch, that OL didn't really face many (if any?) top level DLs. That made the OL look better than it would have, had it been going up against top flight competition.

With the line we're taking into the upcoming season, I have two concerns. 1) The Bills lost a starting-caliber OL in the form of Mitch Morse. Did they add one in the form of Edwards or van Pran? 2) Will Torrence improve? If those two questions are answered favorably, then yeah, this could easily be a better OL than what we had during the postseason of 13 seconds.

As for Brady: he significantly reduced our percentage of passing plays. Was that because of his general philosophy, or was he temporarily adapting to specific circumstances? The Dallas defense was selling out against the pass while daring us to beat them against the run. You run the ball all day against a defense like that. You could also justify going run happy in other games, by pointing out that Josh Allen was playing hurt, and Diggs was not the same guy late season that he'd been in September and October.

Maybe Brady will get the Bills back to a pass-oriented offense this upcoming season. Or, maybe he just wants to run the ball a lot, while de-emphasizing the passing game. By far our best player on offense is Josh Allen. Also, a typical passing play averages around 7.5 yards or so, compared to, say, 4 or 4.5 yards for a rushing attempt. If he's going to a more run-oriented offense, then he's de-emphasizing our best offensive player, while moving towards lower yardage plays. That's not the direction I'd like to see for the offense. For now I'm suspending judgement on Brady, until we learn more. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Manning 3-2 in the playoffs v Brady 

What was he in his first 7 seasons?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It doesn't really matter. Whatever difference exists between Mahomes and Allen is not the reason they have 4 Super Bowl appearances and we have 0. The rest of the discussion is just trying to figure out what the difference is. If you think QB is the main reason, we are so far apart in the discussion you might as well be talking about the CFL. That's why these discussions aren't productive. Everybody is having a completely different conversation.

The excuses for next year are already written. It was a planned step back year and McDermott isn't to blame for the roster deficiencies. I'm hopeful that after Allen's age 30 season we'll finally have 95% of the fanbase on board and Pegula won't be able to avoid the inevitable.

as @GunnerBill says, when the best QB and best HC get together, they dominate. That’s the history of the NFL.

You just can’t accept we don’t have the best QB/HC combo. You think we have half of it. I think we have 0% of that equation.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Mahomes is the best QB in football. Reid is the best coach in football. And when the best QB and best Coach get together history says its really hard to beat them.

So in your view the Chiefs have a better QB and head coach than us. Logically that means to beat them we will have to improve at one of those areas to bridge the gap. Allen can't realistically be improved on, everyone (I think) agrees with that. So the alternative is trying to improve upon the head coach, yes? Unless the plan really is to just hope we get lucky one of these years?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe we should try to get the best coach in football. 

Maybe the best coach in football is out there but we keep passing him by because we're stuck in the mud with McDermott 

Hmmmm.... ???

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So in your view the Chiefs have a better QB and head coach than us. Logically that means to beat them we will have to improve at one of those areas to bridge the gap. Allen can't realistically be improved on, everyone (I think) agrees with that. So the alternative is trying to improve upon the head coach, yes? Unless the plan really is to just hope we get lucky one of these years?

I see that line of thinking but I think we have a darn good Head Coach and trying to find a better one than Reid is the proverbial needle in a haystack. So I think the preferable route is to let the two of them keep swinging and hope one of those KC games that breaks out way in the key play or two happens in January not October.

37 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Maybe the best coach in football is out there but we keep passing him by because we're stuck in the mud with McDermott 

Hmmmm.... ???

And what if our hire is not the best coach in football, the Bills get set back ten years. Hmmm, but we keep getting to the playoffs....

37 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Hmmmm.... ???

I mean sure. That is possible. But if we take every Head Coach in football and throw them in the barrel and pick one the chance you get one better than Andy Reid is remote. Now I accept we are approaching the point where actually you might just have to try someone else. I understand that and agree with it. But I don't think that is anything like a considered plan to get better. I think its a last roll of the dice. To get me there I have to be in last roll territory.

3 hours ago, amprov56 said:

What if you aunt had b****, she would be your uncle. What if Lombardi coached the Bills in 1966, what if Norwood made the FG. No more hypotheticals.

What if ....  nah, forget it.  

:D  

Seriously though, what are the odds of an Allen-led team every doing much below 9-8?  I'd say pretty close to nil.  

What are the odds of someone that has a clue in offense, as opposed to McD who has absolutely none, and his choice of OCs having to operate under his grand ever-changing now complimentary football scheme, not being as good as that.  

Sometimes worrying about failure holds people back from succeeding.  Happens all the time in the business world.  

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Tell me you did not just spell our starting QB's name "Alan"

I did not, spell-checker did.  I bow my head in shame regardless.  

No Wings for me anytime soon, and when I'm allowed to have them again, only ranch for a year while I'm on probation.  

😞

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean sure. That is possible. But if we take every Head Coach in football and throw them in the barrel and pick one the chance you get one better than Andy Reid is remote. Now I accept we are approaching the point where actually you might just have to try someone else. I understand that and agree with it. But I don't think that is anything like a considered plan to get better. I think its a last roll of the dice. To get me there I have to be in last roll territory.

Serious question, why would you want to take a chance when we have a playoff football team, great organization, continuity, and the whole damn country wants to watch the Bills on TV?  This whole conversation is incredible to me!