Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why are there always people complaining about McDermott without names to replace him with?

Ben Johnson, no contest. Surely you must know he's the #1 choice in the minds of almost everyone who is done with McDermott. He might be the best offensive mind in the NFL right now, top 3 at worst with Reid and Shanahan. He managed to turn Jared Goff into an even better QB than Sean McVay did. I think his system fits our current personnel very well too because he has shown an aptitude for getting TEs, slot WRs, and RBs involved in the passing game. If any coach has a chance at being the next Andy Reid, it's him.

My worst fear is that Pegula has already chalked this year up as a rebuild year which means McDermott's job is safe pretty much no matter what, and Ben Johnson gets hired somewhere else next offseason. We got lucky he decided to wait for a better opportunity this year. I doubt we get that lucky again.

If an experienced head coach is the goal, Mike Vrabel would be my personal 2nd choice. Before anyone chimes in with the obvious (and misguided) "what's he done that McDermott hasn't??" I'll point out he took Ryan Tannehill as far as McDermott has ever taken Josh Allen. Give him an elite QB, an owner willing to spend, and a GM that doesn't inexplicably trade away their best player in his prime, and I am very confident he can get past Andy Reid in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Because the successful known has hit the ceiling.  He makes too many mistakes in crunch time.  Some of us see it and want change, others remember the drought and prefer perennial playoffs, even if it means no SB.  McD will not get us to a SB, let alone win it.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

says you, great opinion!

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well you're one of 'em.  

I don't "hate" McD, but after 8 seasons of little more than overachievement in the regular season matched with underachievement, largely due to coaching blunders, otherwise most particularly his own personalized defenses, in the playoffs, I have no difficulty setting aside the positive to be able to clearly see the rest of the forest.  

Also, this notion that most other coaches would have an Allen-led team floundering quite likely is ill-reasoned out and childish as well since he does everything in the playoffs anyway.  

My position on McDermott has zero emotion attached, I assure you.

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ben Johnson, no contest. Surely you must know he's the #1 choice in the minds of almost everyone who is done with McDermott. He might be the best offensive mind in the NFL right now, top 3 at worst with Reid and Shanahan. He managed to turn Jared Goff into an even better QB than Sean McVay did. I think his system fits our current personnel very well too because he has shown an aptitude for getting TEs, slot WRs, and RBs involved in the passing game. If any coach has a chance at being the next Andy Reid, it's him.

My worst fear is that Pegula has already chalked this year up as a rebuild year which means McDermott's job is safe pretty much no matter what, and Ben Johnson gets hired somewhere else next offseason. We got lucky he decided to wait for a better opportunity this year. I doubt we get that lucky again.

If an experienced head coach is the goal, Mike Vrabel would be my personal 2nd choice. Before anyone chimes in with the obvious (and misguided) "what's he done that McDermott hasn't??" I'll point out he took Ryan Tannehill as far as McDermott has ever taken Josh Allen. Give him an elite QB, an owner willing to spend, and a GM that doesn't inexplicably trade away their best player in his prime, and I am very confident he can get past Andy Reid in the playoffs.

another good yr from Stroud and Slowik will be next up

Johnson is 100% getting hired next year

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

another good yr from Stroud and Slowik will be next up

Definitely need to see another year first, ideally two, but yes he's on the up and coming list. My big concern with him right now is he's really inexperienced. He's been an offensive assistant and coordinator but he's never coached a position group. Also he's only been an NFL offensive coach full time since 2019. So are you getting Sean McVay or are you getting Mike McDaniel?

18 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

What happens if Ben Johnson gets hired and tanks?

If the next hire doesn't work out, worst case scenario is we will continue to not win Super Bowls. This is the exact scenario some of you are lauding McDermott for so what's it to you?

What you have to understand is that some of us have already decided McDermott is incapable of winning a Super Bowl short of totally perfect and somewhat lucky circumstances. So it's not about what the next guy will do for sure (which is impossible to predict) but what the next guy has even a decent chance of doing.

Of course the irony of giving McDermott every benefit of the doubt, but immediately assuming the worst outcome for his replacement, isn't lost on me.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the next hire doesn't work out, worst case scenario is we will continue to not win Super Bowls. This is the exact scenario some of you are lauding McDermott for so what's it to you?

What you have to understand is that some of us have already decided McDermott is incapable of winning a Super Bowl short of totally perfect and somewhat lucky circumstances. So it's not about what the next guy will do for sure (which is impossible to predict) but what the next guy has even a decent chance of doing.

Of course the irony of giving McDermott every benefit of the doubt, but immediately assuming the worst outcome for his replacement, isn't lost on me.

There are more bad coaches than coaches of McD’s caliber.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

the cope is starting to get unbearable

the chiefs stanning, blaming beanes roster...these are the same guys who would have been happy conceding the division to the patriots all those years if we had allen at QB

need to get over this inferiority complex asap

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There are more bad coaches than coaches of McD’s caliber.

You know it, I find it fascinating that so many simply think firing a head coach is the only acceptable action, in reality it is a vent for frustration. The old saying, “you can’t fire the team so fire the coach.” Too many on TBD have not seen the horrible years well before the drought. Remember Marv Levy, “ if you listen to the fans you will soon be sitting with them.”

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like Mike Vrabel and Johnson as options.

I hate the expectations of beating KC. These guys will have no chance to build anything. It’ll be like jumping on a treadmill going full speed.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

the cope is starting to get unbearable

the chiefs stanning, blaming beanes roster...these are the same guys who would have been happy conceding the division to the patriots all those years if we had allen at QB

need to get over this inferiority complex asap

Inferiority complex of what? Thinking we have been the second best team in the conference? 

Just admit you and @HappyDays think we have the best QB in football and if we had a different coach, we’d be going for our threepeat while Mahomes would be battling Burrow for the title of second best QB.

That’s all this is.

Just now, FireChans said:

Inferiority complex of what? Thinking we have been the second best team in the conference? 

Just admit you and @HappyDays think we have the best QB in football and if we had a different coach, we’d be going for our threepeat while Mahomes would be battling Burrow for the title of second best QB.

That’s all this is.

yes

i think we have at worst equal best QB in the league and i submit their head to head performances exhibit A

i think if we had a different coach we would be vying for our second SB this season

come @FireChans@GunnerBillthis is you big chance 😂😂get in here and tell us how great the chiefs are

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, GoBills808 said:

yes

i think we have at worst equal best QB in the league and i submit their head to head performances exhibit A

i think if we had a different coach we would be vying for our second SB this season

Broncos fans that couldn't admit Montana was better than Elway.

Colts fans that couldn't admit Brady was better than Peyton.

Bills fans that can't admit Mahomes is better than Allen.

Time is a flat circle.

11 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

What happens if Ben Johnson gets hired and tanks? I know the fire everybody crowd, you would turn on Ben Johnson before mid season was reached and we were 4 - 4 or 5 - 3. Its an OCD!

What gets me is all these so-called Bills fans want McDermott fired and replaced and don't comprehend that there have been so few winning head coaches in the team's franchise history.

Lou Saban, 4 years. Chuck Knox, 5 years. Marv Levy, 11 years, Wade Phillips 3 years, Sean McDermott, 7 years. So, in the 63 history of this franchise, it won 2 AFL Championships under Lou Saban. went to four Super Bowls under Marv Levy. Playoffs under Knox, Phillips, and McDermott. 1993 was the Buffalo Bill's last super bowl appearance. 

Bills fans seem to forget about the 2000 to 2016 time of nothing but losing season after season. That said the only 2 guys I would think of giving a chance to be the Buffalo head coach are Bengals DC Lou Anarumo and Steve Spagunolo. However, I don't know if either would be a good head coach.

After the 2017, 2018, and 2019 seasons I was very concerned that this current HC couldn't get past the Patriots with the so-called greatest HC ever in Bill Belichick. Then in 2020 Buffalo swept the supposed NE defensive genius and owned him in the 2021 playoffs 47-17. The Patriots fired that HC. 

The best team in the NFL over the last five seasons has been the KC Chiefs who have been in the SB 4 of the last 5 years while winning 3 of 4. Buffalo has managed to beat the Chiefs in KC in each of the last 3 seasons. 

I firmly believe that McD will get this team to an SB by beating the Chiefs in the playoffs and will win an SB. 

P.S. Look at the Sabres and you guys want to change the head coach?