Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

I figured winning your division 4 straight seasons without winning a Super Bowl had to be rare. So this is the company our guy is in. Our guy and Chuck Knox in the 70’s are the only ones not to make a Super Bowl. Going back to 1970 merger. Not in order.

There might be mistakes.

Coach, Team, Years, and Super Bowl Appearances during that period.

Bud Grant, Vikings, 1973-1978, 3 SB appearances during the streak, longest without winning a SB.

Chuck Knox, Rams, 1973-1977, 0 SB appearances.

Mike Holmgren, Seahawks, 2004-2007, 1SB appearance, won Super Bowl earlier with GB

Marv Levy , Bills, 1988-1991, 2SB appearances during streak.

John Fox, Broncos, 2011-2014, 1SB appearance, fired after 2014 and team won SB in 2015.

Andy Reid, Eagles, 2001-2004, 1 SB appearance. Won a SB with a different team years later. 😑

John Madden, Raiders, 1972-1976, couldn’t beat Steelers and Dolphins until year 5 when he finally beat the Steelers and won a SB. Had multiple QBs, Lamonica and Stabler.

Bill Cowher, Steelers, 1994-1997, 1 SB appearance. eventually won a Super Bowl with Pittsburgh in 2005. Many different starting QBs.

I thought Dan Reeves was definitely 1 but he never won 4 straight division titles with Elway. Did win 5 in 8 years with 3 SB appearances with Elway. Reeves made a SB with Atlanta after getting fired. Elway won 2 SB’s at the end of his career when old position coach Mike Shanahan returned to Denver. I always thought this could be a good example for the Bills future because I can see Daboll returning to Buffalo if they fire McDermott. Reeves never won a SB.

Shottenheimer never won 4 straight division titles believe it or not. Chargers did win 4 straight with Rivers but Shotty won 1 and Norv Turner won the other 3. No SB appearances for Rivers. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s the worst roster he’s had. I’ve stated that we find out a lot about McDermott this year. And Allen to be honest.

2017, 2018 were way worse, 2019 as well because Josh wasn't who he is now and an elite QB covers up a lot of holes

Edited by BillsFan130

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m talking since Allen has been elite. So since 2020 it’s the worst roster on paper heading into the season.

Bills have suceeded in lowering the bar of expectations heading into the season.  Another divisional round exit will be viewed by most fans as a successful season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Dan Campbell has turned the Lions around and had them in the NFC Championship game just last year.

Matt Lafluer lost his future Hall of Fame QB and WR, still had his team in the playoffs.  The Packers are good and one of the best young teams in football.

DeMeco Ryans had a rookie QB and look at how well they've done.  They've since only added more talent to the roster.

Stefanski with Flacco and no Chubb had his team in the playoffs.  

I'm not ranking them right here at the moment, but how do you think any of these guys would have fared with this current Bills roster or McDermott with theirs?  It's not an unreasonable ranking. 

Been there done that with McDermott. He has done all of that and more.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Been there done that with McDermott. He has done all of that and more.

McDermott has been to a Conference Championship game?

The Bills were the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2022.  You could make the argument that he has underachieved the past 2 seasons.  

McDermott is good coach, but so are these other guys.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. And the McDermott haters find it almost impossible.

Well you're one of 'em.  

I don't "hate" McD, but after 8 seasons of little more than overachievement in the regular season matched with underachievement, largely due to coaching blunders, otherwise most particularly his own personalized defenses, in the playoffs, I have no difficulty setting aside the positive to be able to clearly see the rest of the forest.  

Also, this notion that most other coaches would have an Allen-led team floundering quite likely is ill-reasoned out and childish as well since he does everything in the playoffs anyway.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Well you're one of 'em.  

I don't "hate" McD, but after 8 seasons of little more than overachievement in the regular season matched with underachievement, largely due to coaching blunders, in the playoffs, I have no difficulty setting aside the positive to be able to clearly see the rest of the forest.  

Also, this notion that most other coaches would have an Allen-led team floundering quite likely is ill-reasoned out and childish as well.  

15-1 is proof positive that most other coaches have no answer. 

4 minutes ago, MRW said:

This is a crazy conversation.

Folks are so fired up that we aren’t the best team in the NFL by a wide margin they don’t even know what we have or haven’t done lol

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

15-1 is proof positive that most other coaches have no answer. 

Folks are so fired up that we aren’t the best team in the NFL by a wide margin they don’t even know what we have or haven’t done lol

Who is 15-1? The Chiefs have lost to the Patriots, Bengals, and Bucs. Not that it matters all that much but I figured if you're going to keep repeating something pointless it might as well be correct. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

McDermott has been to a Conference Championship game?

The Bills were the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2022.  You could make the argument that he has underachieved the past 2 seasons.  

McDermott is good coach, but so are these other guys.  

Yes, he has been to a conference championship game. Did you forget about that?

All those are great coaches, potentially. Some of them have to show they can do it for more than a year or two. But McDermott has done more for longer than all of them, in a harder conference than the NFC guys.

I don't really buy the conjecture that he has underperformed or that others could have done more with this team. Or that Josh Allen is the only reason. That's pure speculation based off nothing but opinion. Wins are wins. Playoff wins are playoff wins. Division titles are division titles. That's mainly what matters to me. The Bills have been a top team for many years and McDermott is the leader of the team. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Yes, he has been to a conference championship game. Did you forget about that?

All those are great coaches, potentially. Some of them have to show they can do it for more than a year or two. But McDermott has done more for longer than all of them, in a harder conference than the NFC guys.

I don't really buy the conjecture that he has underperformed or that others could have done more with this team. Or that Josh Allen is the only reason. That's pure speculation based off nothing but opinion. Wins are wins. Playoff wins are playoff wins. Division titles are division titles. That's mainly what matters to me. The Bills have been a top team for many years and McDermott is the leader of the team. Period.

Great post! Why would you want to get rid of the successful known for the total unknown? 

2 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Great post! Why would you want to get rid of the successful known for the total unknown? 

Because the successful known has hit the ceiling.  He makes too many mistakes in crunch time.  Some of us see it and want change, others remember the drought and prefer perennial playoffs, even if it means no SB.  McD will not get us to a SB, let alone win it.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Lions and the Packers are GM success stories more than HC success stories IMO. That isn't to downplay the turnaround Campbell has overseen because turning around losing cultures is the hardest coaching trick in sport. 

Stefanski is an overpromoted OC. Too early to say on Ryans, but I do like him. 

The lions and Packers are GM successes

the Bills is McDermotts 

😂😂Too funny

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1