Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

4 hours ago, amprov56 said:

Still waiting on your plan, your selected head coach, and hell GM! Come on now, time to man up!

Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours.  

I'll simplify it for you.  

Let's say that Allen predated McD.  Whomever the coach is after a year or two with Allen gets fired.  

Do you hire McD?  

So now it's would you have hired McD, and why.  

20 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I guess the first part would be to ask why does it matter what the Colts, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens did against the Patriots?

This conversation is about Sean McDermott. You're trying to take this out to left field to just get some basis to argue from. 

You realize the Colts won the Super Bowl the first year after Tony Dungy left? Literally the first year. That is one of your examples? You have two other Super Bowl Champion teams as examples. New England won 6 Super Bowls over 17 years. 11 other years teams could have won a Super Bowl. This isn't going to come down to "can we beat KC". It will come down to can we beat a top 3 rated team in the playoffs. Then can we do it again, and likely again. Which given our excessive tanking defensively in such spots seems like a herculean effort. Impossible given the knowledge of what we have seen thus far and downright mindboggling that people like yourself think that it is possible. 

The Bulls couldn't beat the Pistons. They didn't say, well, the Pistons are really good. They're champions and nobody has been able to beat them so that's ok. They fired Doug Collins. Within two years they started a dynasty themselves. Why the hell are we willing to just hand it over to KC when we also have one of the best QB's in the league? Why can't you people see that we have just as much reason to believe we could be KC ourselves. Instead we hope to get one. At some point. Who knows when that is. It's no wonder we aren't KC. We cling to our division championships and wild card wins as if anybody cares about such things much past the year they occurred. 

Wishing for a coach that doesn’t exist that’s going to outcoach every other coach in the NFL isn’t a plan lol.

what you seem to not understand with the historical context is that during the Pats dynasty, a couple of other coaches and QB’s DID win a Super Bowl. Some of them were long-tenured coaches who had never won or demonstrated that they could until….they did.

Harbaugh lost to the Steelers twice, the Colts, the Pats in his first 5 years. Then he beat everyone and won the Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re thinking of Tampa winning after replacing Dungy. Dungy went on to win with Indy.

Bulls still lost to Detroit after replacing Collin’s with Jackson. Jackson’s 2nd year they beat an old Pistons team at the end of their dynasty run.

If you think McDermott is standing in the way of Josh Allen then I guess there is no discussion to be had until Allen has a different coach. 

I'm aware it took Chicago two years. I forgot the Colts only went to the Super Bowl. But ya, remember that pretty clearly now. 

Yes. It's what I truly believe. I wish I didn't. It's fairly depressing to be honest. By all means, prove me wrong McD!

For me it cemented in just seeing how much worse we perform against KC than other teams vs KC in the playoffs. Then obviously how we have performed against the Bengals. I don't know how that doesn't role up to your defensive minded HC. But perhaps the final straw was the Burrow stat line. 14 of 14, 3 TD's, 181 yards I believe it is. Opening drives. You get time to really plan for an opening drive. If you get gashed a bit you can change things up the next time and the time after. This is the side of the ball that is the specialty of our HC. So to watch Burrow come in and do that to us three times in a row. Something is not right with Sean vs certain players or situations. Its possible it's schematic but it doesn't always go that way in the regular season so hard to tell. The level of performance against us is just not something that can be explained.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s the worst roster he’s had. I’ve stated that we find out a lot about McDermott this year. And Allen to be honest.

Come on now.  He had worse w/o Allen in 2017 on that merit alone.  

lt's also highly arguable that it was worse in '18 & '19 too.  

He's going to actually have to get more from the sum of the parts than the whole this season though for us to win the division.  

The question is going to be how does Josh perform under Brady.  There are two general schools of thought there.  

The first is that how the team played under Brady last season isn't going to mimic how they play under him this season much at all.  

The second is that his offense will be more akin to what we saw last season under him.  

Those that take the former view seem to want to ascribe to Brady everything positive that happened to this team on his watch, even things like the play of the D implicitly.  At the same time in response to the challenges accurately noting how our offense sputtered in the last several games of the season, they'll simultaneously argue that Brady was still running Dorsey's offense.  LOL  

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Wishing for a coach that doesn’t exist that’s going to outcoach every other coach in the NFL isn’t a plan lol.

what you seem to not understand with the historical context is that during the Pats dynasty, a couple of other coaches and QB’s DID win a Super Bowl. Some of them were long-tenured coaches who had never won or demonstrated that they could until….they did.

Harbaugh lost to the Steelers twice, the Colts, the Pats in his first 5 years. Then he beat everyone and won the Super Bowl. 

We don't need to outcoach anybody. We need to produce an average level of performance vs the Chiefs and Bengals defensively. Average being defined as the average of every opponent they have faced in the playoffs during the time Allen has been here. If we did that we would have at least one Super Bowl. Maybe more.

Can Sean do that?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So after firing Sean McDermott Adam Schefter tweets this out…

What is your reaction?

If I was a proponent of keeping McD I would be reminding people that we play a very specific style of defense and it will take more than one year to turn that around into a unit that can be effective in more traditional schemes. So to your point, I would be happy with that outcome. Anarumo can certainly scheme come playoff time in almost a Spags like way. But our roster is not close for what he wants to do and I imagine it would be awhile before it was. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I’m not saying that McDermott has coached particularly well vs Reid in the playoffs. That’s why I don’t care.

Just like the Chargers or Steelers or Ravens or Colts coaches didn’t always coach particularly well against the Pats and Brady. 

Look at the year of 13 seconds. Josh Allen had the highest QB rating for any QB in NFL postseason history, ever. But, McDermott's defense generated two defensive stops against the Chiefs, vs. 6 defensive stops each for the other two postseason defenses the Chiefs had faced.

For the Bills to win the Super Bowl they need to do two things. 1) Generate a minimum of four defensive stops in each of their postseason games. That's halfway between the usual 2 stop McDermott defensive collapse, and the 6 - 7 stops that good defenses generate against the Chiefs. 2) Get their offense closer to what it was in 13 seconds.

In the year of 13 seconds, the Bills' offense had 3.5 things going for it, that might not have been true in subsequent years. 1) A good OC, in the form of Daboll. 2) A very good WR corps. Diggs was in his prime, John Brown was the deep burner, Cole Beasley was the slot, and Gabe Davis was the number four WR. 3) The OL wasn't good at run blocking, but at least it was okay at pass protection. 3.5) Josh Allen was at the top of his game.

So, yeah, I 100% think winning a Super Bowl with Josh Allen is possible. In fact, it's highly probable, as long as the rest of the team gets its act together. That means both our coordinators need to be good. Also, we probably need to add a #1 WR and a good pass rusher.

Edited by Rampant Buffalo
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I hate saying this. But It was one of the biggest bets I have ever won. I will never do it again though. Felt all sots of conflicted. It's easy to say to yourself, well, if they lose at least I won my bet. But if it's for any amount of many that matters it's just better to stay away. Not like we get these games often in our life. 

No big deal, just havin' some fun with ya.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Look at the year of 13 seconds. Josh Allen had the highest QB rating for any QB in NFL postseason history, ever. But, McDermott's defense generated two defensive stops against the Chiefs, vs. 6 defensive stops each for the other two postseason defenses the Chiefs had faced.

For the Bills to win the Super Bowl they need to do two things. 1) Generate a minimum of four defensive stops in each of their postseason games. That's halfway between the usual 2 stop McDermott defensive collapse, and the 6 - 7 stops that good defenses generate against the Chiefs. 2) Get their offense closer to what it was in 13 seconds.

In the year of 13 seconds, the Bills' offense had 3.5 things going for it, that might not have been true in subsequent years. 1) A good OC, in the form of Daboll. 2) A very good WR corps. Diggs was in his prime, John Brown was the deep burner, Cole Beasley was the slot, and Gabe Davis was the number four WR. 3) The OL wasn't good at run blocking, but at least it was okay at pass protection. 3.5) Josh Allen was at the top of his game.

So, yeah, I 100% think winning a Super Bowl with Josh Allen is possible. In fact, it's highly probable, as long as the rest of the team gets its act together. That means both our coordinators need to be good. Also, we probably need to add a #1 WR and a good pass rusher.

It is funny people care that much about the 13 second game. The Bengals game(s) were worse in my view. You could see it happening even before that scary situation. 

At least in the 13 second game and the last one with a lot of injuries they still were in those games. Close enough to not think McD is trash. 

KC is just that team. Other good teams lose playing against them as well in big moments. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

This is mainly correct. Although Brown wasn't around in 2021. He had gone and we had brought in Sanders but by the playoffs Gabe had supplanted him as the starter. The OL had actually been a weakness for much of 2021 - it hadn't been able to do much of anything and had cost us defeats in the regular season but they did find a bit of something down the stretch and play well, at least in pass pro, in the playoffs. I actually think the current line is the one thing we have on offense better than in 2021.

But I agree (leaving the defense aside for a moment and no argument the defense needs to play better than in our playoff exits) the offense hasn't been at its best in the past two playoff campaigns. They have missed Daboll's creativity (and arguably his chemistry with Josh) and the offensive weaponary hasn't been good enough. I am cautiously optimistic on Brady, he certainly added some creative wrinkles when he took over last year, I am less so on the weaponary. Think the WR room is probably another offseason away from being Championship ready.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

You may be in luck this season.  

A good coach would win this division decisively this year with the roster we have.  

Yes you do, it's easy to do as fans of teams, that's rampant.  

Trying to separate one's emotions from reality can be difficult.  

Agree on the emotion thing

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, MJS said:

Ok, what have Dan Campbell, Matt Lafleur, DeMeco Ryans, and Kevin Stefanski accomplished to be ranked ahead of McDermott?

Dan Campbell has turned the Lions around and had them in the NFC Championship game just last year.

Matt Lafluer lost his future Hall of Fame QB and WR, still had his team in the playoffs.  The Packers are good and one of the best young teams in football.

DeMeco Ryans had a rookie QB and look at how well they've done.  They've since only added more talent to the roster.

Stefanski with Flacco and no Chubb had his team in the playoffs.  

I'm not ranking them right here at the moment, but how do you think any of these guys would have fared with this current Bills roster or McDermott with theirs?  It's not an unreasonable ranking. 

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Dan Campbell has turned the Lions around and had them in the NFC Championship game just last year.

Matt Lafluer lost his future Hall of Fame QB and WR, still had his team in the playoffs.  The Packers are good and one of the best young teams in football.

DeMeco Ryans had a rookie QB and look at how well they've done.  They've since only added more talent to the roster.

Stefanski with Flacco and no Chubb had his team in the playoffs.  

I'm not ranking them right here at the moment, but how do you think any of these guys would have fared with this current Bills roster or McDermott with theirs?  It's not an unreasonable ranking. 

The Lions and the Packers are GM success stories more than HC success stories IMO. That isn't to downplay the turnaround Campbell has overseen because turning around losing cultures is the hardest coaching trick in sport. 

Stefanski is an overpromoted OC. Too early to say on Ryans, but I do like him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1