Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

11 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I've acknowledged that the pro-McDermott people have made intelligent arguments. The above is not one of them. Other postseason defenses are 3x or even 3.5 x as effective against Mahomes, as is the Bills postseason defense. In an earlier post, you wrote, "I don’t particularly care about [Mahomes'] numbers vs Buffalo."

If you choose to ignore an inconvenient fact, you can pretend that your argument hasn't been discredited. It has. Allen has faced Mahomes in the playoffs three times. Of those three games, he's come close to beating Mahomes twice. Never in those games has Allen's defense generated more than two stops. If you pair Allen with a decent defense (defined here as one which gets at least four stops), Allen is 2-1 against the Chiefs in the playoffs. This last time around, Allen's receivers had 160 yards of drops. Give Allen a defense which generates four stops, and give him receivers who don't drop 160 yards worth of passes? Yeah, Allen is winning that one easily.

You seem like a smart guy. But the argument you've made above is intellectually lazy. You can do a lot better than this.

I’m not saying that McDermott has coached particularly well vs Reid in the playoffs. That’s why I don’t care.

Just like the Chargers or Steelers or Ravens or Colts coaches didn’t always coach particularly well against the Pats and Brady. 

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

15-1 against non-Brady QB’s. I don’t particularly care about his numbers vs Buffalo. He’s the best. He beats everyone. It’s just the truth.

So your argument contains the logic of intentionally ignoring how we have performed against KC. Then outright ignoring that the Bengals even exist. Sounds good.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Allen can practically and single handedly carry this team in the regular season. But when the level of play rises in the playoffs you absolutely must have a dynamic HC.  That's where the Bills with McD lack.

Perhaps you missed the first 12 games of the 2023 season? 

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Imagine firing McDermott and finding out the guy that replaces him came from a team that also can’t beat Kansas City!

Can he beat the Bengals?

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

That's the whole point

Allen can be statistically the greatest playoff QB in NFL history and it doesn't matter because McDermott's defense is going to choke it away in the end 

I have zero confidence he would be able to handle the pressure of a super bowl

That's the funny part. All of this talk is over the damn divisional round. We have never beat a #3 or better seed in a playoff game. We would have to likely to it in the divisional round and then two more times in a row to win the Super Bowl. Just seems like that ask is like climbing Everest. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Imagine firing McDermott and finding out the guy that replaces him came from a team that also can’t beat Kansas City!

Imagine living a life of quiet desperation,

Wanting more, wanting better but always sticking with the status quo because the future is scary because it includes the possibility of failure along with glory.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It was your fault, you disloyal bastard.  :devil:

I hate saying this. But It was one of the biggest bets I have ever won. I will never do it again though. Felt all sots of conflicted. It's easy to say to yourself, well, if they lose at least I won my bet. But if it's for any amount of many that matters it's just better to stay away. Not like we get these games often in our life. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I’m not saying that McDermott has coached particularly well vs Reid in the playoffs. That’s why I don’t care.

Just like the Chargers or Steelers or Ravens or Colts coaches didn’t always coach particularly well against the Pats and Brady. 

55 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

So your argument contains the logic of intentionally ignoring how we have performed against KC. Then outright ignoring that the Bengals even exist. Sounds good.  

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Imagine living a life of quiet desperation,

Wanting more, wanting better but always sticking with the status quo because the future is scary because it includes the possibility of failure along with glory.

It's only a choice if you think if there is no chance of glory with our current HC. Obviously, lots of folks feel differently lol.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's only a choice if you think if there is no chance of glory with our current HC. Obviously, lots of folks feel differently lol.

I guess the first part would be to ask why does it matter what the Colts, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens did against the Patriots?

This conversation is about Sean McDermott. You're trying to take this out to left field to just get some basis to argue from. 

You realize the Colts won the Super Bowl the first year after Tony Dungy left? Literally the first year. That is one of your examples? You have two other Super Bowl Champion teams as examples. New England won 6 Super Bowls over 17 years. 11 other years teams could have won a Super Bowl. This isn't going to come down to "can we beat KC". It will come down to can we beat a top 3 rated team in the playoffs. Then can we do it again, and likely again. Which given our excessive tanking defensively in such spots seems like a herculean effort. Impossible given the knowledge of what we have seen thus far and downright mindboggling that people like yourself think that it is possible. 

The Bulls couldn't beat the Pistons. They didn't say, well, the Pistons are really good. They're champions and nobody has been able to beat them so that's ok. They fired Doug Collins. Within two years they started a dynasty themselves. Why the hell are we willing to just hand it over to KC when we also have one of the best QB's in the league? Why can't you people see that we have just as much reason to believe we could be KC ourselves. Instead we hope to get one. At some point. Who knows when that is. It's no wonder we aren't KC. We cling to our division championships and wild card wins as if anybody cares about such things much past the year they occurred. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Lfod said:

It is funny because I don't know who Mcdermott was before he was hired as HC. I just know the team is a lot more fun to be a fan of since he took over. 

I dont really care who as at HC as long as my team doesnt suck. I don't want to be like some of these joke franchises throwing everything at the wall hoping it sticks. 

If you can acknowledge the risk of a new coaching hire then I can some what respect you wanting it to happen. You might hit and you might miss so be it. Its easy to say when its not your job on the line.

You hire a new HC and your plan fails you become the joke that fired Sean Mcdermott drought breaker. 

Meanwhile he gets a job the next day. He is proven and some crap team will stumble all over themseleves for what the drought breaker can bring. Odds are he eventually makes a SB with another team before the Bills recover if you made the wrong choice.

If your right great but if your wrong... oh boy.

Better hidden gem coaches than McDermott out there? Probably. Worth taking the risk? I dont really think so in my opinion.

I wouldn't just assume McDermott won't figure it out. He has been schooled but people think he wont learn from it. Dude fired his OC on the spot to fix an issue. People thinking he wont change is ignorant in my honest.

The strength of this team come playoff time isn't even the Offense, it's Allen.  

Our offense is nowhere close to optimal under McD.  

This is a Brady/Belichick arrangement except that at least Belichick's Ds didn't completely fold in the playoffs.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I guess the first part would be to ask why does it matter what the Colts, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens did against the Patriots?

This conversation is about Sean McDermott. You're trying to take this out to left field to just get some basis to argue from. 

You realize the Colts won the Super Bowl the first year after Tony Dungy left? Literally the first year. That is one of your examples? You have two other Super Bowl Champion teams as examples. New England won 6 Super Bowls over 17 years. 11 other years teams could have won a Super Bowl. This isn't going to come down to "can we beat KC". It will come down to can we beat a top 3 rated team in the playoffs. Then can we do it again, and likely again. Which given our excessive tanking defensively in such spots seems like a herculean effort. Impossible given the knowledge of what we have seen thus far and downright mindboggling that people like yourself think that it is possible. 

The Bulls couldn't beat the Pistons. They didn't say, well, the Pistons are really good. They're champions and nobody has been able to beat them so that's ok. They fired Doug Collins. Within two years they started a dynasty themselves. Why the hell are we willing to just hand it over to KC when we also have one of the best QB's in the league? Why can't you people see that we have just as much reason to believe we could be KC ourselves. Instead we hope to get one. At some point. Who knows when that is. It's no wonder we aren't KC. We cling to our division championships and wild card wins as if anybody cares about such things much past the year they occurred. 

You’re thinking of Tampa winning after replacing Dungy. Dungy went on to win with Indy.

Bulls still lost to Detroit after replacing Collin’s with Jackson. Jackson’s 2nd year they beat an old Pistons team at the end of their dynasty run.

If you think McDermott is standing in the way of Josh Allen then I guess there is no discussion to be had until Allen has a different coach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It would be nice if he’d just lose the friggin division or a wild card game so we can stop making excuses for him. 

Im ready for them to get upset in the playoffs or miss the playoffs all together. It just hasn’t happened yet.

You may be in luck this season.  

A good coach would win this division decisively this year with the roster we have.  

6 hours ago, amprov56 said:

FYI not struggling with nothing but I do not deal in fantasy land!

Yes you do, it's easy to do as fans of teams, that's rampant.  

Trying to separate one's emotions from reality can be difficult.  

Edited by PBF81