Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

57 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Three times you trolled this thread with the comment "fire everybody." Now you follow that up with this. Intelligent arguments have been advanced on both sides of this discussion. You've simply ignored and dismissed those arguments you didn't like.

Fire everybody - make it 4!

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

It's a very fair question.  Sorry you struggle with it.  I fully understand why you and everyone else does.  Not one person here has answered it.  

That's disingenuousness at its finest.  

Just because it happened doesn't mean that it should have been conceivable.  But hye, you're on the right track despite your inability to separate your emotions from your objectivity.  

Typically when "inconceivable" things occur, people start asking tough questions.  McD's got more lives than a cat.  

Not to worry, it'll start clearing up for you this upcoming season.  I have zero difficulty already seeing the excuses lining up here like people in line for free cheese to go along with their whine.  

FYI not struggling with nothing but I do not deal in fantasy land!

Edited by amprov56
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Lol wishing does not make it true. I admire your optimism. 

I hope you are right. Just like Colts fans hoped they were right and Brady was just lucky and eventually everyone would realize Peyton was far better all along.

History doesn’t care lol.

I said nothing of the sort. Nor am I particularly optimistic with McDermott at the helm. As evidenced by your last few responses, you seem to be having a very tough time with reading comprehension so I’ll leave you to your loser mentality and bow out. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I said nothing of the sort. Nor am I particularly optimistic with McDermott at the helm. As evidenced by your last few responses, you seem to be having a very tough time with reading comprehension so I’ll leave you to your loser mentality and bow out. 

When September comes try indoor soccer; my my you are quite emotional!

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

So kinda like how the Bills stopped turning it over, scored two quick TD’s and ended the game? 

lol

Against Miami? Bills were a few plays away  from losing against Skylar Thompson compared to the chiefs absolutely routing the Steelers. I don't see the comparison you're trying to make here

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills just struggle getting to Mahomes with their front 4. Bengals have been much better at putting pressure on Mahomes. 

Same can be said when we lost to Burrow. Chiefs beat Burrow with pressure. Bills couldn’t sniff him.

I acknowledge that the Bengals and Chiefs have had a better pass rush than the Bills. Maybe you put the blame for that on Beane, for having failed to gain better pass rushers with all the resources he'd invested. Maybe some of the blame goes to bad luck, due to the von Miller injury. I'd also put some of the blame on Leslie Frazier, whose scheme has the DL focus at least as much on containing the QB, as it does on rushing him.

All that being said, I disagree with your premise. I do not believe that a good pass rush was the primary reason why the Bengals were able to generate those six defensive stops in their playoff win over the Chiefs, while McDermott has always been limited to two. The Bengals' stops came mostly in the second half or in overtime, when presumably their pass rushers were more tired than they'd been in the first half. Also they were rushing three and dropping eight back into coverage, much like the Giants had done in their Super Bowl wins over Brady and the Patriots. The biggest difference the two defenses was that against the Bills, Mahomes was gifted easy throws, over and over again. Whereas against the Bengals, their coverage blanketed the Chiefs' receivers, smothering their offense like a lead blanket smothers a fire.

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You said nothing of what sort? That you "know" we can be better? (talk about an oxymoron)

Are you even reading my posts lol.

I gotta be honest, continually calling me a "loser" does it make it tough to have a civil conversation. See you back in 15 years when we all agree Josh was great but Mahomes just a little bit more great and the better QB/coach won a lot more because the better QB/coach always wins a lot more as a fact of life in NFL lore. Not a lot of dynasties with lesser QBs and lesser coaches but hey.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Against Miami? Bills were a few plays away  from losing against Skylar Thompson compared to the chiefs absolutely routing the Steelers. I don't see the comparison you're trying to make here

After Josh stopped giving the football away, we scored two quick TD's and never trailed again.

• Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I acknowledge that the Bengals and Chiefs have had a better pass rush than the Bills. Maybe you put the blame for that on Beane, for having failed to gain better pass rushers with all the resources he'd invested. Maybe some of the blame goes to bad luck, due to the von Miller injury. I'd also put some of the blame on Leslie Frazier, whose scheme has the DL focus at least as much on containing the QB, as it does on rushing him.

All that being said, I disagree with your premise. I do not believe that a good pass rush was the primary reason why the Bengals were able to generate those six defensive stops in their playoff win over the Chiefs, while McDermott has always been limited to two. The Bengals' stops came mostly in the second half or in overtime, when presumably their pass rushers were more tired than they'd been in the first half. Also they were rushing three and dropping eight back into coverage, much like the Giants had done in their Super Bowl wins over Brady and the Patriots. The biggest difference the two defenses was that against the Bills, Mahomes was gifted easy throws, over and over again. Whereas against the Bengals, their coverage blanketed the Chiefs' receivers, smothering their offense like a lead blanket smothers a fire.

I don’t really blame anyone for the lack of pass rush, although if I did I would definitely blame whoever made the decision not to trade for Von Miller in 2021. Beane spoke about it, said he didn’t know if he could sign him as a free agent.

Thats the one move that always haunts me. GO FOR IT! While they still could. I much rather would’ve traded a late 2nd round pick then signing Von to $120 million.

They’ve definitely identified the problem and tried to bolster the DL. Fans here hated it though. Adding Miller and Floyd in free agency were attempts to win upfront. Bad luck took it away. Injuries to Miller and Daquan Jones killed the plan. It’s really frustrating to me. 

As for what Cincinnati did to beat KC. Yes it was coaching, but they needed something drastic as they were being blown out of the stadium. They got some luck at the end of the half also. Mahomes got careless and confused. It was a great coaching move. They did also get home on Mahomes with just a 3 man rush. It was crazy.

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It's a very fair question.  Sorry you struggle with it.  I fully understand why you and everyone else does.  Not one person here has answered it.  

That's disingenuousness at its finest.  

Just because it happened doesn't mean that it should have been conceivable.  But hye, you're on the right track despite your inability to separate your emotions from your objectivity.  

Typically when "inconceivable" things occur, people start asking tough questions.  McD's got more lives than a cat.  

Not to worry, it'll start clearing up for you this upcoming season.  I have zero difficulty already seeing the excuses lining up here like people in line for free cheese to go along with their whine.  

Still waiting on your plan, your selected head coach, and hell GM! Come on now, time to man up!

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sure man. All the Steelers and Ravens and Colts needed to do was churn HC’s and then Brady doesn’t retire with 7 rings. Whatever you need to tell yourself lol.

The back 7 has not really been cheap though. Tre got paid. Poyer and Hyde were cheap initially but then got around market level deals. I doubt we were even near the bottom third in the NFL in back7 spending.

I’m torn on this take because I believe that you need stars to win rings, and I also believe that a defensive coach should be able to coach up a lower cost/talent pool to greater heights. 

Tre got paid but he was only really on field as the real Tre after getting paid for 1.5 of the 4 years he was paid. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Uh, Jan 22,2023

Bills six point favorites at home against the Bengals

They lost 27-10.

Real Bills fans were pretty upset about the upset.

I’m going to make an excuse. 

I predicted they would lose that game, didn’t matchup well vs Cincinnati. -6 was a crazy number and I made a lot of money. 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It would be nice if he’d just lose the friggin division or a wild card game so we can stop making excuses for him. 

Im ready for them to get upset in the playoffs or miss the playoffs all together. It just hasn’t happened yet.

Allen can practically and single handedly carry this team in the regular season. But when the level of play rises in the playoffs you absolutely must have a dynamic HC.  That's where the Bills with McD lack.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Allen can practically and single handedly carry this team in the regular season. But when the level of play rises in the playoffs you absolutely must have a dynamic HC.  That's where the Bills with McD lack.

Dynamic defensive stars you mean, pass rushers to be specific.

HC needs to stay out of the way. 

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Are you even reading my posts lol. . . .

See you back in 15 years when we all agree Josh was great but Mahomes just a little bit more great and the better QB/coach won a lot more because the better QB/coach always wins a lot more as a fact of life in NFL lore.

I've acknowledged that the pro-McDermott people have made intelligent arguments. The above is not one of them. Other postseason defenses are 3x or even 3.5 x as effective against Mahomes, as is the Bills postseason defense. In an earlier post, you wrote, "I don’t particularly care about [Mahomes'] numbers vs Buffalo."

If you choose to ignore an inconvenient fact, you can pretend that your argument hasn't been discredited. It has. Allen has faced Mahomes in the playoffs three times. Of those three games, he's come close to beating Mahomes twice. Never in those games has Allen's defense generated more than two stops. If you pair Allen with a decent defense (defined here as one which gets at least four stops), Allen is 2-1 against the Chiefs in the playoffs. This last time around, Allen's receivers had 160 yards of drops. Give Allen a defense which generates four stops, and give him receivers who don't drop 160 yards worth of passes? Yeah, Allen is winning that one easily.

You seem like a smart guy. But the argument you've made above is intellectually lazy. You can do a lot better than this.