Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Everybody likes to say that, but I think you're doing McD a disservice.  McD made the change last season that got them out of their funk.  McD held them together in the Hamlin year...he's the constant rock.

Players literally went on about how much they loved McD for keeping them together during the Hamlin incident! I really can’t stand people who want him gone

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Better question would be what has McDermott done to be ranked ahead of Mike McCarthy 

Not lose wild card games in hilarious fashion?

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They did?

edit: oh, you meant right after Tomlin on this list? like #6.

I'd put him ahead of Ryans and Stefanski, although Ryans could leap frog him this year.

I'm 50/50 on McD. He's done well to turn the team around, but the sustained success has more to do with Josh than McD. And when the team needs to rely on a coaching move instead of a QB move, we usually drop the ball.

McD is the type of coach who can take a 4-12 team to the wild card, but is also the coach who would take a 14-2 team to the wild card.

Agreed he belongs on the list. But in order to take us all the way he needs to take a step forward with situational football, gameday management, team management (the FULL team, not just Defense), and having the team fired up and focused.

I don’t know how we can say he would take a 14-2 team to the WC. We are in the divisional round every year, and we lose to better opponents every year.

Tomlin and Big Ben never beat the Pats in the playoffs. Not once. The Pats had the superior QB and the superior coach. 

We feel the hurt more acutely because we play the Chiefs so often.

I 100% agree that the 2022 sleepwalking loss is on McD. When the whole team can’t get up to play, it falls on coaching imo. But there’s lots of coaches with a loss like that on their resume. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Players literally went on about how much they loved McD for keeping them together during the Hamlin incident! I really can’t stand people who want him gone

Yeah we save that for the divisional round

Won't speak for you but I'd trade a super bowl for that

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Even those of us that wanted a HC change acknowledge McDermott is by all accounts a good human being. I don't like how he treated Diggs last off-season. But none of us have the whole story about Diggs.

Other than that he has been a good leader.

He's just not a good enough HC to win a SB. That's ok if TT is your QB and your goal is to make the playoffs.  That's not good enough for a franchise with no SuperBowl wins, four SB appearances, and the best QB in franchise history.  

Perhaps you disagree, but for me and others only a SuperBowl win matters at this point. 

My opinion is well stated. 

What the McDermott supporters (apologists) will never commit to, is when is enough enough? How many years of playoff losses does he get? If he wins the division every year does that mean he keeps his job every year? When do you make a change?  The McDermott supporters said last year just get KC in Buffalo. Well it still didn't matter. 3rd straight year they didn't get past the division round. 

So again I ask, when are you ready to move on?

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, GoBills808 said:

That's not the question is it

But to answer- they're the same guy. One just has a SB. My answer is I'm indifferent on who I'd rather have as HC. McCarthy has an easy claim to be ranked higher

If McDermott got destroyed by the Steelers at home last year in the Wild Card round like the Cowboys did against the Packers I'd want McDermott fired yesterday.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Even those of us that wanted a HC change acknowledge McDermott is by all accounts a good human being. I don't like how he treated Diggs last off-season. But none of us have the whole story about Diggs.

Other than that he has been a good leader.

He's just not a good enough HC to win a SB. That's ok if TT is your QB and your goal is to make the playoffs.  That's not good enough for a franchise with no SuperBowl wins, four SB appearances, and the best QB in franchise history.  

Perhaps you disagree, but for me and others only a SuperBowl win matters at this point. 

My opinion is well stated. 

What the McDermott supporters (apologists) will never commit to, is when is enough enough? How many years of playoff losses does he get? If he wins the division every year does that mean he keeps his job every year? When do you make a change?  The McDermott supporters said last year just get KC in Buffalo. Well it still didn't matter. 3rd straight year they didn't get past the division round. 

So again I ask, when are you ready to move on?

I’ll be ready to move on when we stop making the playoffs with ease.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

If McDermott got destroyed by the Steelers at home last year in the Wild Card round like the Cowboys did against the Packers I'd want McDermott fired yesterday.

No you wouldn't😂😂you'd be saying how Josh Prescott threw the game and how the circumstances were too much to overcome

Because that is literally what happened w the Bengals game