Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

10 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

As I pointed out a few posts ago, under McDermott the Bills defense has never generated more than two stops in a postseason game against the Chiefs or Bengals. That type of defensive collapse is atypical of other defenses the Chiefs face in the postseason. In the year of 13 seconds, the Steelers defense got six stops in their postseason game against the Chiefs. Ditto the Bengals defense. This past Super Bowl, the 49ers defense got seven stops. That's 3.5 times better than anything McDermott has ever done in a postseason game against the Chiefs.

When your defense gets six or even seven defensive stops, that gives your team a good chance to win the game. When your defense gets just two stops, the outcome of the game has pretty much been determined.

Is it McDermott or the lack of play makers and big game players on defense? You think they gave Von $120 million for no reason?

Name me the best defensive player vs the Chiefs or Bengals? When we play the Chiefs I’m constantly noticing Chris Jones. Where’s Oliver? Where’s Milano? Hyde? Poyer? Hughes, Rousseau? White? Johnson?

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

As I pointed out a few posts ago, under McDermott the Bills defense has never generated more than two stops in a postseason game against the Chiefs or Bengals. That type of defensive collapse is atypical of other defenses the Chiefs face in the postseason. In the year of 13 seconds, the Steelers defense got six stops in their postseason game against the Chiefs. Ditto the Bengals defense. This past Super Bowl, the 49ers defense got seven stops. That's 3.5 times better than anything McDermott has ever done in a postseason game against the Chiefs.

When your defense gets six or even seven defensive stops, that gives your team a good chance to win the game. When your defense gets just two stops, the outcome of the game has pretty much been determined.

Fire is everybody 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

HappyDays, do you believe that when we've faced KC in the playoffs we trotted out better players?  

I don't think our rosters have been too far off, especially in the last two playoff matchups. They've generally had more offensive talent than us but we've generally had more defensive talent. I think McDermott totally mismanaged his injury substitutions in this past game. AJ Klein should not have been a starter, and that falls on him.

The Chiefs beat the two best rosters in the league in each of their past two Super Bowl wins. Nobody thought they had a championship caliber roster last year in particular. Their coaching staff was just elite throughout their playoff run, Reid and Spagnuolo both.

What I know is that when an offense racks up 8.5 yards per play like they did against us in the divisional round, coaching has to be part of the reason. It just has to be. Having to start a couple backups will affect defensive play, obviously, but not to that kind of historically bad degree against an offense that was not particularly talented. I mean really, 8.5 yards per play. Nearly a 1st down on every single play they ran. That's insanely bad defensive coaching, I'm sorry.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Fire everybody 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question. Have the Bills ever lost to a worse team in the playoffs under McDermott?

Another question would be have the Bills ever beaten a better team in the playoffs? 

I think the answer is no to both. Probably why there so much debate with McDermott.

We were better than Houston. We should have lost to the Colts. The Dolphins played us to a 3 point game with a 3rd string QB. We have been a lot closer to a devastating first round loss than a Super Bowl.  

For me it's pretty simple on McDermott.

If I was a gm with a bottom 5 roster, I would kill to have him as a coach as he's stable and can hold things together.

If I'm a top 5 roster in the NFL (like the bills have been the last 3-4 years), I don't think he's the man you want to get you over the hump.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

We were better than Houston. We should have lost to the Colts. The Dolphins played us to a 3 point game with a 3rd string QB. We have been a lot closer to a devastating first round loss than a Super Bowl.  

Maybe, but we were underdogs.

Stop mentioning the dolphins game in regards to coaching. The players had so many mistakes, including Josh Allen’s. Game should’ve been a blowout.

And also many coaches, including Andy Reid have blowout playoff losses and huge blown lead playoff losses. I don’t understand why people think all these coaches out there are flawless. 

I keep reading about all this blame that McD and his defense keep getting despite all the defensive injuries. What about the offense with Diggs falling on his face in the playoffs? In that Chiefs game, they had Sneed on Digs in the first half and then moved him to cover Shakir in the second half.

Diggs did what in that Chiefs playoff game? 8 targets for 3 receptions for 21 yards, and one fumble. Seriously, those were the numbers for the #1 WR?

Speaking of Shakir, he is the only player in the NFL to catch a TD pass against L' Jarius Sneed all 2023 season...and in that playoff game. If Josh Allen had some better receivers the Bills might have won that game regardless of the missed FG. 

As I stated in this thread, against the Chiefs they got Douglas and Dodson back (their injuries still holding them back from full strength) but were still minus White, Milano, and Rapp, plus Benford, Spector, and linebacker Terrel Bernard. Plus, Von Miller was not at full strength. Buffalo defense that game 2 QB hits on Mahomes with no sacks. 

There was a solid reason that AJ Klien started over Williams as the latter wasn't ready to be a starter as he didn't fully understand the scheme. 

My take, McD did an amazing job in 2023 being 6-6 at week 12 and finishing the season 11-6. Firing OC Ken Dorsey and replacing him with Joe Brady was a brilliant move. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think our rosters have been too far off, especially in the last two playoff matchups. They've generally had more offensive talent than us but we've generally had more defensive talent. I think McDermott totally mismanaged his injury substitutions in this past game. AJ Klein should not have been a starter, and that falls on him.

The Chiefs beat the two best rosters in the league in each of their past two Super Bowl wins. Nobody thought they had a championship caliber roster last year in particular. Their coaching staff was just elite throughout their playoff run, Reid and Spagnuolo both.

What I know is that when an offense racks up 8.5 yards per play like they did against us in the divisional round, coaching has to be part of the reason. It just has to be. Having to start a couple backups will affect defensive play, obviously, but not to that kind of historically bad degree against an offense that was not particularly talented. I mean really, 8.5 yards per play. Nearly a 1st down on every single play they ran. That's insanely bad defensive coaching, I'm sorry.

I agree that KC's "elite" coaching staff being better than ours.  

But I do think McD was dealing with more than having to "start a couple backups."  

The best players at all three levels our defense were missing (or might have well as been).

*  Von was still recovering, didn't start, and didn't play well

*  Milano was out.

*  Tre White was out.

Additionally, if I recall correctly:

*  Rapp was out

*  Benford was out.

*  Spector was out

*  Bernard was out

*  Douglas played with a gimpy knee

My memory might be a little hazy, but I think I saw Micah Hyde was on the field with crutches at one point.  At another point, McD asked a guy in the stands to suit up.  

Playing against the world's best football team,  we had no business being in that game as bandaged and banged up as we were.  A team has only so many playmakers and all of our defensive stars were hurt. 

And if Diggs doesn't atypically drop a critical pass, or if Bassomatic doesn't atypically miss a 44 yarder, it could have been a great upset win for us.  It's hard to blame McD for either of those errors. 

Imagine how the game might have unfolded if all those guys were fully healthy.  It would be like going to war with jets, tanks, and drones instead of bows and arrows and AJ Klein.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

People only see the big plays that go against us and think- hey, we're just a play away

they always seem to forget about the big plays that go our way like the fumble out of the endzone that would have effectively sealed the game

No, I don't. Obviously there are plays that go both ways throughout games some of which are critical to the outcome. But even so the last 4 games have come down to 1 or 2 plays in the last 90 seconds of the football game. Twice it has gone for us, twice it hasn't.

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Look at the Bucs Super Bowl win over the Chiefs a few years ago or the Giants beating the Pats in the Super Bowl twice. Strong pass rushes with their front four that made both Mahomes and Brady uncomfortable in the pocket in those games. It has to start there. Unfortunately, our pass rush with our front four isn't that great.

The Chiefs being down to their 4th and 5th string OTs didn't hurt either in that Superbowl. But I agree. You have to be able to get there with your pass rush without sending extra guys. Easy to say, harder to do. It is why the Bills swung big on Von.

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Dude. I mean, dude.

Patrick Mahomes has a career average of 7.9 yards per pass attempt. Normally you'd expect a RB to average 4 or 4.5 yards per rushing attempt. Somewhere in that neighborhood. Mix some passing plays together with some running plays, and you're looking at an average yards per offensive play that's better than 4, worse than 7.9. Or at least that's how it should be. When a team is averaging 8.5 yards per play, it's as though they said, "You know what? These running plays are dragging down our average. Let's eliminate them. For that matter, 7.9 isn't good enough for our QB. Let's do 8.5."

McDermott is a good defensive coordinator, at least most of the time, in the regular season. But he's been terrible as a defensive coordinator in postseason games against the Chiefs and Bengals.

Flexin on McD scraping into the top 10 is crazy.

Guy’s a pretty good head coach. But it’s pretty clear that McD excels at team/culture building. With Allen, we need a coach with a different strong suit. This is a roster on the cusp that needs  a coach who can outmaneuver his colleagues in game…that ain’t McD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe, but we were underdogs.

Stop mentioning the dolphins game in regards to coaching. The players had so many mistakes, including Josh Allen’s. Game should’ve been a blowout.

And also many coaches, including Andy Reid have blowout playoff losses and huge blown lead playoff losses. I don’t understand why people think all these coaches out there are flawless. 

You know you're right. The 3 point victory at home over Skyler Thompson wasn't something to focus on. I was more concerned with Joe Burrow going 14 for 14 for 181 yards and 3 TD's across 3 separate opening drives. Houston scoring 22 unanswered points in the 2nd half. Indianapolis nearly coming back from down 24-10 in the 4th quarter dropping 472 yards and 27 first downs on us. KC's Tommy Townsend punting 4 total times in the playoffs vs Buffalo. A total that was tied or beaten in one game in half the playoff games in the Mahomes era. 

Three coaches in the Super Bowl era have a .600 winning% and no Super Bowl appearances. Marty Schottenheimer is one of them. Yet you think this will go the way of Andy Reid? You know what Reids playoff record is without Mahomes? 11-13 and with Mahomes it's 15-3. So who is going to be McDermott's Mahomes? Isn't that supposed to be Allen?

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Yet you think this will go the way of Andy Reid? You know what Reids playoff record is without Mahomes? 11-13 and with Mahomes it's 15-3. So who is going to be McDermott's Mahomes? Isn't that supposed to be Allen?

This is why this argument is so funny. We have the second best QB in football. We aren’t gonna get that 15-3 record. Mahomes already has it, and has some of those wins by beating us lol.

Big Ben is 13-10 in the playoffs. Peyton Manning is 14-13. Rivers 5-7. Drew Brees 9-9. Rodgers is 11-10. It’s not because every single one of their coaches was a failure fraud loser lol. It’s because when the best coach and best QB get together, they beat EVERYONE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is why this argument is so funny. We have the second best QB in football. We aren’t gonna get that 15-3 record. Mahomes already has it, and has some of those wins by beating us lol.

Big Ben is 13-10 in the playoffs. Peyton Manning is 14-13. Rivers 5-7. Drew Brees 9-9. Rodgers is 11-10. It’s not because every single one of their coaches was a failure fraud loser lol. It’s because when the best coach and best QB get together, they beat EVERYONE.

It's just Kansas City. Keep telling yourself that. 

By the way look up Mannings stats in the playoffs. Just how atrocious they were. One of the worst all time. 

Rivers and Brees played mostly under Marty. Rodgers LaFleur. These examples are too funny. As I said, 3 coaches in NFL history above .600 and no Super Bowl apperances.  You hit all three in your response. 

Edited by Mikie2times

On 6/27/2024 at 5:34 PM, GoBills808 said:

No you wouldn't😂😂you'd be saying how Josh Prescott threw the game and how the circumstances were too much to overcome

Because that is literally what happened w the Bengals game

who's Josh Prescott?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

People keep mentioning the Miami game to criticize McDermott. This is all in about 5-6 minutes to end the 2nd quarter up 17-3. All in order. McDermott’s defense held Miami to FGs until Allen’s 2nd INT in 5 minutes, Beasley’s fault. Last clip is the start of the 3rd, again an Allen blunder. Skyler Thompson was 18-45 for 200 yards, 1td, 2int, 4 sacks.

Josh Allen careless INT on 1st down with open players underneath. Mahomes doesn’t do this.

Matt Milano misses tackle on 4th and 8

Shakir drop

Cedric Wilson punt return after Shakir drop

Holland INT off Beasley drop. Now it’s a football game and anything can happen.

Start of the 3rd Allen doesn’t see the blitz on 1st down. Sack, fumble, TD. Miami now leading 24-20 just like that. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1