Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question. Have the Bills ever lost to a worse team in the playoffs under McDermott?

Another question would be have the Bills ever beaten a better team in the playoffs? 

I think the answer is no to both. Probably why there so much debate with McDermott.

He managed to lose to the Texans in Houston, clearly not better than the Bills.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

That is a fair point. The Eagles did eventually move on from Reid. He had a better run in Philly than Sean has had here. Sometimes a new voice is needed to take the next step.

I agree with all of that.

I have been pretty consistent on this. I think the fire McD for a new voice/shot in the arm people have a point, even if I’m not personally there yet. I admit that eventually may be necessary. 

I also think McD is one of the better coaches in the NFL.

We don’t have to twist ourselves into knots that he’s a loser choke artist fraud POS when it’s not true.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

DrD, I agree with many of the opinions you post, just not this one...  

If McD is such an inept botch artist, why does he win more games than any coach in the NFL not named Andy Reid?   

Why do players, according to the NFLPA poll, rate McD an "A" (tied for 4th in the NFL)?  

Why is both our O and D typically rated among the best in the league?

Why do bettors in Vegas give him the 7th best chance of winning Coach of the Year this season?  

Show me a statistic that says McD botches big calls nearly 100% of the time.  That doesn't sound like a fair and objective evaluation.  That sounds like hyberbole from a person who doesn't like McD.  

And you mention end of game situations where calls matter.   Maybe the calls matter at the end of the game because McD is a good coach who kept us in a game that another coach wouldn't have.  The offseason team building and preparations, the game week planning - all that stuff went into us earning the ability to be in close games.  

As @HappyDays pointed out, this game was a comedy of coaching errors.  12 men on the field for a FG is a complete joke.  You knew Denver was going to kick it, you should have had the FG team picked and ready downs before.  McD becomes totally disorganized in critical moments.  He has no problem winning the blowouts, but his winning percentage in one-score games is much lower than his overall winning percentage.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He has no problem winning the blowouts, but his winning percentage in one-score games is much lower than his overall winning percentage

This is you having a problem with math and statistics in general lol. 

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He managed to lose to the Texans in Houston, clearly not better than the Bills.

The two teams were pretty much on par in 2019. Both finished 10-6. Bills were 1-4 in games vs playoff teams in the regular season. Houston were 2-3. They were a more experienced team and won the playoff game in overtime. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most of the football world would say Don Shula was a better coach than Marv Levy and Dan Marino was a better QB than Jim Kelly. So why couldn’t the Dolphins beat the Bills?

Don Shula forgot what won him SBs (the run game) and jumped on Dan Marino's arm for everything on offense.

Buffalo had Thurman Thomas and Miami had no player even close to him as a RB. The Bills ran the ball more than they threw it in those first glorious late '80s and early '90s years. 

In the current discussion. The Buffalo Bills finally have an OC who knows and understands how to utilize a running attack to help with games. Something this team lacked under Daboll and Dorsey. 

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

As @HappyDays pointed out, this game was a comedy of coaching errors.  12 men on the field for a FG is a complete joke.  You knew Denver was going to kick it, you should have had the FG team picked and ready downs before.  McD becomes totally disorganized in critical moments.  He has no problem winning the blowouts, but his winning percentage in one-score games is much lower than his overall winning percentage.

But not so much lower than the league average in one score games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The two teams were pretty much on par in 2019. Both finished 10-6. Bills were 1-4 in games vs playoff teams in the regular season. Houston were 2-3. They were a more experienced team and won the playoff game in overtime. 

There was also bad luck involved-- Watson dead-to-rights on a sack but two Bills got there at the same time and it actually kept him upright is a moment that sticks out in my memory.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Avisan said:

There was also bad luck involved-- Watson dead-to-rights on a sack but two Bills got there at the same time and it actually kept him upright is a moment that sticks out in my memory.

Said that earlier. They made a couple of really low percentage plays on offense where they just got a bit of luck. 

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Top 30%!!! Great!

KC was a perennial playoff team when they drafted Mahomes, and he took them to the next level. 

And no one cried "fire everybody" every when they fell short before Mahomes arrived!

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because Stefanski made the playoffs with old man Joe Flacco. Talk to me when McDermott makes the playoffs without Josh Allen.

McDermott will never make the playoffs without Allen. 

Except when he did with Tyrod Taylor.  lol!!!!!   Are you a dolphins fan or something?

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1

of course the hater McDermott thread has legs

The season can't arrive soon enough. The proof will be in the pudding. Past performances and laurels mean basically squat

Unlike some peoples opinions I take the glass half full analogy. Until proven otherwise

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh Allen and being a good Defensive Coordinator.

He's a nice guy, I would never argue differently.

Again, Josh Allen and being a good Defensive Coordinator.

This point means literally nothing.

You know there is no such stat tracked, and none of us with real lives and full time jobs is tracking that. But there are plenty of examples. And if you think I'm a McD hater, then you havent been reading my posts. He has plenty of strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses which have been consistently holding us back.

And I'd argue that McD's lack of killer conviction, and his inability to put teams away early, has allowed way too many lesser teams to hang around, and hang around until it's too close at the end. Too much taking his foot off the gas pedal in order to be "humble" and "safe" and "play not to lose".

I agree there is a good point regarding the Bills being in/losing close games that "the Bills dont ever get blown out, even when we do lose". And that is fair. But there are also too many games that stay close because we are a soft team. And that starts at McD.

You're right, the Vegas thing means nothing. 

I'm not sure about McD getting an "A" from the players just because he's a nice guy.  It does seems like he has good values and priorities.  But he's not the warm and fuzzy type.  He doesn't get weepy in pressers like Dick Vermeil did.  He's a bit of a cold fish, actually.

The take about the Bills winning because McD's good DC and we have Josh on offense is fair and I can absolutely see why you feel that way.  Only 1 out of 4 of our OCs have been any good and even Daboll had some issues.   The success of our offense has been largely fueled by Josh, not by superior offensive schemes.  

But I do believe that McD has added value to the offense with the teamwork and comaraderie that he's able to build and his methodical approach to preparation.  

Still, I'll offer this: If the offense struggles because McD once again hired the wrong guy to run it, I'll help you buy McD a bus ticket out of town.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We blew a 16-0 halftime lead.  The guys in the black jackets who took away our TD to start the 2nd half, and the BS crackback on Cody Ford didn't help, but still....

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But not so much lower than the league average in one score games.

So you agree that McD is average!  :devil:

6 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

And no one cried "fire everybody" every when they fell short before Mahomes arrived!

Reid with the likes of Alex Smith and Chase Daniel at QB had the same level of success as McDermott has had with Josh Allen. If you can’t see how that’s different then I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We blew a 16-0 halftime lead.  The guys in the black jackets who took away our TD to start the 2nd half, and the BS crackback on Cody Ford didn't help, but still....

So you agree that McD is average!  :devil:

“Blowing a 16 point lead” is always so funny to me. 

There is no point where we would think a game is over down 16 with Josh Allen at QB. A two score game? Come on. Drought brain still exists for the Houston game where it’s talked about like a 30 point collapse lol.

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

Because they were doing it without a franchise QB. Matt Cassell and Alex Smith were nowhere near the tier of Josh Allen.

Edited by uticaclub

It funny every top ten coach has a good quarterback, but McD has a elite QB and he's only 10.  Don't get me wrong, I like McD, and can't image someone else coaching the bills, but I don't have faith that in a big game he's going to make the right call.

FR, D.C.

I am not in the McD firing crowd (yet)... but I will say he needs to improve and adjust. His philosophy has gotten us so far, but will likely not take us farther... I do have hope.. Andy Reid was known as one who couldn't win the big one as well (7yrs and 18 overall) as was Cowher (14 yrs) Madden (8yrs)... In fact only 5 coaches have won a SB within 5 years of taking over their teams. I look at people like Vermiel and Pete Carroll etc.. I think there is hope. But, he is going to need to adjust and improve... I think he gets this year as a re tool as long as we dont fall flat completely.. but the year following is put up or shut up. Top 10 is nice.... but when you have won your division 4 years in a row... won a playoff game every year and made it to an AFC Championship game... you would think the rating might be higher... So I am looking at 10 as a bit of rightfully placed shade on his job performance... Just my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

That is a fair point. The Eagles did eventually move on from Reid. He had a better run in Philly than Sean has had here. Sometimes a new voice is needed to take the next step.

You may be right.  But I'm still not ready to kick McD to the curb (I still believe he can win a SB) and I worry about the new voice.

Now if Reid decided forswear the dark side and come to Buffalo, I'd be onboard.  But McD, while imperfect, is better than most coaches in the pro and college ranks.  So the probability is high that the new voice would be a worse voice, not a better one.  

• Like (+1) 1