Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because Stefanski made the playoffs with old man Joe Flacco. Talk to me when McDermott makes the playoffs without Josh Allen.

McDermott will never make the playoffs without Allen. 

I'm not a big McDermott fan but..

In fairness to him He did make the playoffs in 2017 with tyrod Taylor 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eball said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I believe there are many, many people inside and around the organization who give McD full credit for the team not collapsing in '22.

There were national media people also.  I don’t remember who it was but one of them said they gave him a vote for Coach of the year for getting them thru the Hamlin incident and the snow storms.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because Stefanski made the playoffs with old man Joe Flacco. Talk to me when McDermott makes the playoffs without Josh Allen.

Except the time he already did it, obvs. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

KC never makes the playoffs without Mahomes, Miami without Tua, kind of why QB is an important position! We could unload JA and grab Flacco to prove your point! 

Top 30%!!! Great!

17 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

KC never makes the playoffs without Mahomes, Miami without Tua, kind of why QB is an important position! We could unload JA and grab Flacco to prove your point! 

KC was a perennial playoff team when they drafted Mahomes, and he took them to the next level. 

15 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hahahaha,,, you just replied to yourself

He has this discussion in his head all the time, he is ready at the drop of a hat, 😂😆🤣

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Perhaps you disagree, but for me and others only a SuperBowl win matters at this point. 

My opinion is well stated. 

What the McDermott supporters (apologists) will never commit to, is when is enough enough? How many years of playoff losses does he get? If he wins the division every year does that mean he keeps his job every year? When do you make a change? 

I am a huge McD supporter.  He has literally never lost a playoff game to a bad team/team that wasn't as good or better than the Bills.  If they had lost to the Steelers last year, or the dolphins the year before, I would see the point in moving on.  The Bills have lost to the other 2 best qbs in the nfl.  They aren't losing to scrubs.  The Chiefs are back to back super bowl champs.  Losing to them sucks but everyone has lost to them the last 2 years in the playoffs.

I know others have already answered you but I can't resist piling on, he has done this.  With Tyrod Taylor of all people.  Who is more accomplished in the league?  Tyrod or Joe Flacco?  Your top notch rebuttal of "doesn't count" is amazing.

22 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

KC was a perennial playoff team when they drafted Mahomes, and he took them to the next level. 

Buffalo was a dumpster fire and Allen/McD have taken them from laughingstock to perennial championship contender.  That's multiple levels! :nana:

Harbaugh and Tomlin should NOT be on this list.

Ryans had one good year—a great start—but I think you need more evidence than one year to make any kind of determination.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most of the football world would say Don Shula was a better coach than Marv Levy and Dan Marino was a better QB than Jim Kelly. So why couldn’t the Dolphins beat the Bills?

They refused to put together a competent run game and made themselves one dimensional. Which was great for regular season wins, but not for competing against other highly talented and more complete teams.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

They refused to put together a competent run game and made themselves one dimensional. Which was great for regular season wins, but not for competing against other highly talented and more complete teams.

Interesting because you could say that about the Bills. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

Everybody likes to say that, but I think you're doing McD a disservice.  McD made the change last season that got them out of their funk.  McD held them together in the Hamlin year...he's the constant suck.

Fixed it for you 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What tore it for me was the Denver challenge late in the 4th quarter.  For all the McD fans, how do you justify challenging a 9-yard incompletion on 1st down?  We needed that TO down the stretch and lost the game partly because we didn't have it.

Freddie, this is super granular.   It's like walking up to a DaVinci painting and saying, "I don't know why people think this guy is a great artist.  Look at the brush struck two inches in from the bottom right corner.  It's poorly done!"   Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the whole picture.  Even Andy Reid makes mistakes.  

The big picture view is this: McD is the second winningest coach in the NFL since 2020.  Apparently, 30 other coaches have more bad brush strokes.  

But look - even though a coach is paid to win, a true evaluation isn't quite as simple as looking at wins and losses.  You also have to consider roster strength, roster health, how you want to evaluate/weigh playoff performance, and maybe some other variables.  You and I will probably judge those things differently, whether or not we agree on the Denver challenge.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most of the football world would say Don Shula was a better coach than Marv Levy and Dan Marino was a better QB than Jim Kelly. So why couldn’t the Dolphins beat the Bills?

The Bills were a better team. But it was a great rivalry during the Kelly-Marino years.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Freddie, this is super granular.   It's like walking up to a DaVinci painting and saying, "I don't know why people think this guy is a great artist.  Look at the brush struck two inches in from the bottom right corner.  It's poorly done!"   Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the whole picture.  Even Andy Reid makes mistakes.  

The big picture view is this: McD is the second winningest coach in the NFL since 2020.  Apparently, 30 other coaches have more bad brush strokes.  

But look - even though a coach is paid to win, a true evaluation isn't quite as simple as looking at wins and losses.  You also have to consider roster strength, roster health, how you want to evaluate/weigh playoff performance, and maybe some other variables.  You and I will probably judge those things differently, whether or not we agree on the Denver challenge.   

A true evaluation goes beyond wins and losses and looks deeper at the coach's actual in-game decision making and situation football, just as @Freddie's Dead did. And almost 100% of the time, when you look at those situations, McD falls short or completely botches it.

Not only the challenge in that situation, but look at the end of the game situation and how that played out. McD directly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve told this story before. I sat next to Don Shula waiting for a flight connection  in Atlanta a few years back. He’d long since retired. We talked for about 20 minutes after I thanked him for the memories and explained I was a Bills fan. What shocked me was that his memory of the rivalry was NOT the long streak in the 70s but the fact that he couldn’t beat the Bills in the 90s. Just goes to show you remember the losses more than the wins. He was extremely gracious with his time. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Bills were a better team. But it was a great rivalry during the Kelly-Marino years.

Here’s a question. Have the Bills ever lost to a worse team in the playoffs under McDermott?

Another question would be have the Bills ever beaten a better team in the playoffs? 

I think the answer is no to both. Probably why there so much debate with McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1