Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC

DJB

5 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I'd put McDermott after Tomlin.

They did?

edit: oh, you meant right after Tomlin on this list? like #6.

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

According to these trustworthy guys 

I'd put him ahead of Ryans and Stefanski, although Ryans could leap frog him this year.

I'm 50/50 on McD. He's done well to turn the team around, but the sustained success has more to do with Josh than McD. And when the team needs to rely on a coaching move instead of a QB move, we usually drop the ball.

McD is the type of coach who can take a 4-12 team to the wild card, but is also the coach who would take a 14-2 team to the wild card.

Agreed he belongs on the list. But in order to take us all the way he needs to take a step forward with situational football, gameday management, team management (the FULL team, not just Defense), and having the team fired up and focused.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

the sustained success has more to do with Josh than McD

Everybody likes to say that, but I think you're doing McD a disservice.  McD made the change last season that got them out of their funk.  McD held them together in the Hamlin year...he's the constant rock.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

but but but...PFF!!

anyway, Tomlin can lose every playoff game for the rest of his life and he'll still be eating free lunch off of Big Ben's last SB win.  Steelers will never fire him so they are going nowhere

Harbaugh is 3-6 in the playoffs since Ravens won a SB 11 years ago.  He and Jackson are never winning one.  They will be regular season warriors.  

McVay won the SB with a dream team.  15-19 since with an aging Stafford, not the genius he was just 3 years ago...

Ryans gets top 10 after 1 season?

Stafanski has had one decent season in 3.  Brief Flacco magic makes him top 10?  lol

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

There are good things you could say about McDermott. There are bad things you could say, especially about his performance in the last four years of playoff losses. Both the good and bad have been extensively discussed here. At this point, throwing the PFF rating into the discussion reveals more about the metric itself, than it does about McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The only players/coach to really get any love is Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs. No one else is highly thought of around the league. Which is crazy because the Bills statistically have the best defense in the NFL since 2019.

Not when they have faced good offenses and good QB's. Padded their stats against bad/mediocre teams with bad/mediocre QB's. Except for the playoff game against the Ravens the Bills defense in the playoffs gets killed.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not when they have faced good offenses and good QB's. Padded their stats against bad/mediocre teams with bad/mediocre QB's. Except for the playoff game against the Ravens the Bills defense in the playoffs gets killed.

They haven’t come up big in the playoffs other than the Ravens game. Sure. 

They are the best since 2019. I understand why you’re diminishing that but it’s a pretty long stretch, 5 years.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s great. He barely made the top 3rd of the leagues coaches. He only needed the 2nd best player in football to do it. 

I guess I’ll just have to live with the fact that I’m a sucker for taking the bait. But at least I’m not the sucker that actually thinks this loser is a good coach. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

Everybody likes to say that, but I think you're doing McD a disservice.  McD made the change last season that got them out of their funk.  McD held them together in the Hamlin year...he's the constant rock.

McD is partially responsible for the change that put them in a funk to begin with, and letting it go on too long.

And I dont think he did that good of a job in 2022, especially after the Hamlin game. We slept-walked through the Pats game and the Dolphins playoff game, only winning because they were very familiar and lesser talented Division rivals, and then had a 100% team collapse against the Bengals where no one showed up ready or willing to play. JMO but thats how I see it.

• Like (+1) 2