Raiders HC Antonio Pierce faces civil judgements totaling 28 million

Gregg

On 6/27/2024 at 9:59 AM, Augie said:

As an investor, I would never give an unlimited personal guarantee. As a lender, I would never make the loan without the personal guarantee. That is Lending 101. You don’t give them the money unless you know they are fully committed and can’t just wash their hands and walk away. 

but the personal guarantee must be reasonable and not lead to personal financial ruin if the business fails, as that happens often.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

but the personal guarantee must be reasonable and not lead to personal financial ruin if the business fails, as that happens often.

According to whom? It is what it you, you guarantee the debt and you are responsible. For all of it, even if there are other guarantors you personally are jointly and severally liable for the entire amount.  There is no “reasonable” limitation. That’s why you don’t take it lightly. 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:16 AM, Big Turk said:

Oh man...that's business 101...you never guarantee business assets with personal guarantees that open you up for liability outside the business itself.  That's the whole point of having a business entity to begin with...to protect YOU PERSONALLY from this type of stuff.  How the hell did his business attorneys allow this?

I'm guessing they were in a situation where they couldn't borrow the money to open the dealership without personal guarantees.   Without the guarantees, the effort to buy/build the dealership would have collapsed.  Hungry to make the deal happen, Pierce signed the guarantee.  

It's not clear to me if Peirce was the only one to sign a guarantee.  

There's nothing criminal or underhanded here.  Just a catastrophic business failure.  From the sounds of it, Pierce is screwed.