Raiders HC Antonio Pierce faces civil judgements totaling 28 million

Gregg

18 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Would seem unlikely Pierce was running the dealerships. That said, unless they find some financial hanky-panky that he was aware of, I dare say he’s more victim than suspect in this situation.

Don't know enough about the dealership business to truly comment, but it seems like yes he's liable from a money standpoint, but he didn't do anything criminal.  In any case, fire your lawyer and hire a better one.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I wonder how often this happens where the former player just gets cleaned out though and doesn't end up having to file for bankruptcy.  

• Like (+1) 1

Oh man...that's business 101...you never guarantee business assets with personal guarantees that open you up for liability outside the business itself.  That's the whole point of having a business entity to begin with...to protect YOU PERSONALLY from this type of stuff.  How the hell did his business attorneys allow this?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oh man...that's business 101...you never guarantee business assets with personal guarantees that open you up for liability outside the business itself.  That's the whole point of having a business entity to begin with...to protect YOU PERSONALLY from this type of stuff.  How the hell did his business attorneys allow this?

$200 and one piece of paper to set up an LLC in NC.

I realize this situation is more involved but wow.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

whole thing has a tinge of predatory institutions circling an easy target (football player, not businessman, with large $$ to invest), to pick the meat off the bones. attorneys were on the take somehow. he probably got a better rate by backing the business with personal assets, and got convinced that was a great idea 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

As an investor, I would never give an unlimited personal guarantee. As a lender, I would never make the loan without the personal guarantee. That is Lending 101. You don’t give them the money unless you know they are fully committed and can’t just wash their hands and walk away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

You know, I really believe the Davises are drawn to these types of characters. It's not bad luck, it's what they are. 

I agree, not that this is more than a bad investment... or maybe it is... but the Raiders seem to attract this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

As an investor, I would never give an unlimited personal guarantee. As a lender, I would never make the loan without the personal guarantee. That is Lending 101. You don’t give them the money unless you know they are fully committed and can’t just wash their hands and walk away. 

But yet people go into business all the time and don't end up owing $35 million dollars when the businesses go south.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But yet people go into business all the time and don't end up owing $35 million dollars when the businesses go south.

Everybody failed here, the lender and investor. Not all businesses are driven into the ground. I’d honestly love to know how this was structured, because it’s not as simple as the headlines make it sound. We generally also required that the spouse provided a guarantee as well to prevent any shell games. 

If it’s a really strong deal the borrower can shop it for the best terms, and maybe someone will cave and skip the full guarantee to get the deal. Obviously this was not foolproof, and the lender was smart to ask for the guarantee. They took a gamble and provided it to get the financing. I’m curious how many other people are on the hook but don’t have the pockets or name recognition to get included in an article like this. Or was it just him? Did it include the spouse? Other investors? There are a lot of unknowns here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1