Tonight's Debate

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did he specify that he was talking only about the bill or about their endorsement of him in general?

Here's the transcript. Not surprisingly given his, umm, lackluster performance, he corrected himself:

TAPPER:  Let’s turn now to the issue of immigration and border security.

President Biden, a record number of migrants have illegally crossed the southern border on your watch, overwhelming border states and overburdening cities such as New York and Chicago, and in some cases causing real safety and security concerns. Given that, why should voters trust you to solve this crisis?

BIDEN:  Because we worked very hard to get a bipartisan agreement that not only changed all of that, it made sure that we are in a situation where you had no circumstance where they could come across the border with the number of border police there are now. We significantly increased the number of asylum officers. Significantly – by the way, the Border Patrol endorsed me, endorsed my position.

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here's the transcript. Not surprisingly given his, umm, lackluster performance, he corrected himself:

TAPPER:  Let’s turn now to the issue of immigration and border security.

President Biden, a record number of migrants have illegally crossed the southern border on your watch, overwhelming border states and overburdening cities such as New York and Chicago, and in some cases causing real safety and security concerns. Given that, why should voters trust you to solve this crisis?

BIDEN:  Because we worked very hard to get a bipartisan agreement that not only changed all of that, it made sure that we are in a situation where you had no circumstance where they could come across the border with the number of border police there are now. We significantly increased the number of asylum officers. Significantly – by the way, the Border Patrol endorsed me, endorsed my position.

You believe the bolded is him correcting himself? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Was this the first debate you've watched? They never answer the questions asked.

The childcare question made me laugh out loud.  Neither answered it directly and a few minutes later they spent a minute arguing about who has the higher golf handicap.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The childcare question made me laugh out loud.  Neither answered it directly and a few minutes later they spent a minute arguing about who has the higher golf handicap.  

What really made me laugh in this exchange was when President Trump said "let's not be childish."

• Agree 1

I actually do have some worries about Newsom vs Trump, given his political acumen and the visual difference..

However, with news swirling about him potentially getting in if Biden were to drop out, I’ve never seen so many notable former Californians, celebrities and high influence podcasters go off on him.  

People who have left Cali truly hate him and he’s going to be facing a heck of headwind both defending his record in California and the onslaught of people who will be warning America about him. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

What got me was that both of these men have had 4 years (Trump 4, Biden 3.5) to make childcare more affordable, and neither one have even came close to executing. But, suddenly they are going to waive the magic wand during their second term? If people believe that, then I have a bridge to sell them. 

Neither one of these men should be able to stand there with a straight face and argue they are going to do anything for childcare. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I actually do have some worries about Newsom vs Trump, given his political acumen and the visual difference..

However, with news swirling about him potentially getting in if Biden were to drop out, I’ve never seen so many notable former Californians, celebrities and high influence podcasters go off on him.  

People who have left Cali truly hate him and he’s going to be facing a heck of headwind both defending his record in California and the onslaught of people who will be warning America about him. 

Newsome, while an inept politician and overall douche, is younger, telegenic, and will be able to say whatever he wants without being called on it by the “reliable” mainstream media. I won’t be surprised if he’s the next president. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

What really made me laugh in this exchange was when President Trump said "let's not be childish."

I kind of just want them to do a golf match between the two instead of a 2nd debate.

39 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

What got me was that both of these men have had 4 years (Trump 4, Biden 3.5) to make childcare more affordable, and neither one have even came close to executing. But, suddenly they are going to waive the magic wand during their second term? If people believe that, then I have a bridge to sell them. 

Neither one of these men should be able to stand there with a straight face and argue they are going to do anything for childcare. 

Should the federal government even be involved in childcare prices?

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I kind of just want them to do a golf match between the two instead of a 2nd debate.

Should the federal government even be involved in childcare prices?

I do believe they should. At a minimum they could increase the child care subsidy. My wife and I make pretty decent money and it still hurts to pay $1800 a month in childcare. I can’t imagine how families that make median incomes make it work. The costs are completely out of control (like most things you could argue). The difference is, this one impacts the work force, productivity, and is 100% necessary if you have two working parents. Average cost per child ends up being  around $1200/ month. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

Newsome, while an inept politician and overall douche, is younger, telegenic, and will be able to say whatever he wants without being called on it by the “reliable” mainstream media. I won’t be surprised if he’s the next president. 

All people have to do is go look at the debate between DeSantis and Newsom to see Newsom on the big stage. DeSantis killed Newsom and Newsom's chance of ever being President. That beatdown by DeSantis was a bigger beatdown than this past debate. DeSantis embarrassed him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

All people have to do is go look at the debate between DeSantis and Newsom to see Newsom on the big stage. DeSantis killed Newsom and Newsom's chance of ever being President. That beatdown by DeSantis was a bigger beatdown than this past debate. DeSantis embarrassed him. 

Really because I thought the overall sentiment (and it's what I also observed) was that Newsom was more charismatic and the better debater even though I align with DeSantis's political positions more.  Especially considering Hannity was the debate monitor as he was walking into hostile territory.  The lack of charisma by DeSantis is why I thought he never even had a chance to beat Trump for the nomination.  I don't think it matters though as it's pry too late to replace Biden.

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I do believe they should. At a minimum they could increase the child care subsidy. My wife and I make pretty decent money and it still hurts to pay $1800 a month in childcare. I can’t imagine how families that make median incomes make it work. The costs are completely out of control (like most things you could argue). The difference is, this one impacts the work force, productivity, and is 100% necessary if you have two working parents. Average cost per child ends up being  around $1200/ month. 

This is well said, I think that child care cost should simply be fully tax deductible on top of the standard deduction. My youngest is 14 so almost 10 years since regular daycare and that was $1200 a month then so $1800 a month seems about right at this time. 

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Still going back to that Seinfeld c. 1994 joke ...

... what I said is true. What Biden said about the Border Patrol union endorsing "his" border bill is true. What Trump said about the Border Patrol union endorsing him is true.

No.  That was the Jerk Store which you own and are the lone customer.  What a mess.  

12 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Here's the all time classic Carolla Newsome interview. 

BEAT DOWN!

• Like (+1) 1

The media is acting the way they are is because a lot of folks who don’t watch the MSM on a regular saw THEM being exposed as the LIARS they have been for many many years,

• Agree 1

Massive numbers here. 

Obvious to everyone except black people, apparently .. and I’m sure that number is driven by black women who can literally not be moved off of militant Democrat support.  

The Independent & Hispanic numbers should terrify the Biden campaign.