Tonight's Debate

Woke up today feeling a little conspiracy theory-ish. Must spend too much time with you GOPers (I kid, I kid). Now that my party successfully showed that Biden couldn’t order a pizza without ending the order with “extra Medicare on the side”, I’m starting to believe the idea that his handlers wanted this debate so early as to have time to name his replacement.

The final straw for me was Jill congratulating him as if he were a two year old who successfully ***** in the toilet for the first time. 

Either way, too little, way too late. 

I can live with another Trump presidency. My strong fear is where we are heading with abortion bans. To be clear, my wife and I would never for ourselves (proven by me typing this at 44 years old holding my 5 month old son) but to remove the right at 6 weeks, or worse, criminalizing it? Insane to me.

My even bigger concern is an even more conservative Supreme court. The thought terrifies me when you already have guys like Clarence Thomas defending bump stocks because they can only shoot 650 rounds per minute so they aren’t technically machine guns. I feel it’s lazy to constantly lean on “well, the founding fathers said….” We all know they anticipated guns gets more powerful, but I don’t think they were ready for guns that would shoot more than a round per second as they were holding their muzzle loaders. And most of them were slave owners so forgive me for not holding them up like deities. This gun issue (which will only worse with more conservative justices) is especially concerning for me knowing my son will likely need to practice mass shooter drills in school the way we used to do air raid drills. 

But barring some miracle, congrats to MAGA. 

Oh, and why do joes handlers allow him to say things like “fine people on both sides” when anyone who watches the press conference for all whopping 90 seconds would know that was horribly out of context? (To be fair, Trump buried the headline there and could have started by denouncing the nazis in the group, but I digress.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Yeah and that’s how we end up with populists like Pol Pot or the Ali Khameni.

Well, certainly not all people of a particular persuasion are good…You can have ideologues who use populism to push their agenda, just like you can have capitalists that use cultural Marxism to consolidate their own wealth and power…

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Woke up today feeling a little conspiracy theory-ish. Must spend too much time with you GOPers (I kid, I kid). Now that my party successfully showed that Biden couldn’t order a pizza without ending the order with “extra Medicare on the side”, I’m starting to believe the idea that his handlers wanted this debate so early as to have time to name his replacement.

The final straw for me was Jill congratulating him as if he were a two year old who successfully ***** in the toilet for the first time. 

I can live with another Trump presidency. My strong fear is where we are heading with abortion bans. To be clear, my wife and I would never for ourselves (proven by me typing this at 44 years old holding my 5 month old son) but to remove the right at 6 weeks, or worse, criminalizing it? Insane to me.

My even bigger concern is an even more conservative Supreme court. The thought terrifies me when you already have guys like Clarence Thomas defending bump stocks because they can only shoot 650 rounds per minute so they aren’t technically machine guns. I feel it’s lazy to constantly lean on “well, the founding fathers said….” We all know they anticipated guns gets more powerful, but I don’t think they were ready for guns that would shoot more than a round per second as they were holding their muzzle loaders. And most of them were slave owners so forgive me for not holding them up like deities. This gun issue (which will only worse with more conservative justices) is especially concerning for me knowing my son will likely need to practice mass shooter drills in school the way we used to do air raid drills. 

Oh, and why do joes handlers allow him to say things like “fine people on both sides” when anyone who watches the press conference for all whopping 90 seconds would know that was horribly out of context? (To be fair, Trump buried the headline there and could have started by denouncing the nazis in the group, but I digress.)

You think SCOTUS is bad with gun issues? Wait until Oberfell gets overturned! Thomas has already alluded to overturning it. 

5 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

This is the beauty of Federalism- self determination…what you like or don’t like allows you to vote for representatives that will advocate for you…And if that doesn’t work, you can always migrate to a region where your views align more…That’s democracy👍

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You think SCOTUS is bad with gun issues? Wait until Oberfell gets overturned! Thomas has already alluded to overturning it. 

Honestly, less worried about that and some of my closest family are my sons two uncles (married gay couple). Why? Because before that case, something like 34 states already allowed gay marriage. I don’t think my cousins mentioned above, or many gay couples, were considering moving to some backward state like Alabama, WV, etc anyway.  You could say “well then just don’t move to a state where abortion is illegal” and you’d have a valid argument. I do feel there is a stark difference between needing to go to a different state to get married than to get medical treatment. My biggest issue is proposing criminal action against doctors and limiting drugs like Plan B. But I do understand the hypocrisy of my view points in this case. 

24 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Congratulations on your 5 month old. 

You’re the voter MAGA needs to win over.  

First step is figuring out Democrats in 2024 - not how you were raised - have left you.  

A couple more thoughts on the debate aside from Biden being toast: 

1. I expected the doorknob moderators from CNN to be one-sided.  I don't think they were.  They were actually quite fair. 
  2. Trump didn't seem like he wanted to bother with a bunch of facts and figures.  He just went up there and attacked Biden and was frankly, himself. He probably didn't even do a mock debate.  
  3. I thought Biden may have overprepared.  He had too many facts and figures that he couldn't remember nor articulate by the time limit.   He got cut off a lot.   
  4. The reaction from the MSNBC and CNN dopes reminded me very much of the 2016 election when Hillary lost.  They were almost in tears.   It was hilarious.  
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

1. I expected the doorknob moderators from CNN to be one-sided.  I don't think they were.  They were actually quite fair. 
  2. Trump didn't seem like he wanted to bother with a bunch of facts and figures.  He just went up there and attacked Biden and was frankly, himself. He probably didn't even do a mock debate.  
  3. I thought Biden may have overprepared.  He had too many facts and figures that he couldn't remember nor articulate by the time limit.   He got cut off a lot.   
  4. The reaction from the MSNBC and CNN dopes reminded me very much of the 2016 election when Hillary lost.  They were almost in tears.   It was hilarious.  

You’re spot on with your third point, there were a lot of times where Biden would go “first of all” and then never get to the second point. Felt like he was trying to remember way too much. That’s not how you debate Trump 

• Like (+1) 1

Repeating weapons existed during the time of the founding and the founders knew about them.

Spare me.

Edited by LeviF

43 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Populism is bad because it’s either revolutionary or reactionary and harms the median voter. 

Wrong...populism is the only time when the majority is fed up with elitist telling  them who they are or what they want and need. 

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

This is epic, you came to PPP like an attack dog barking and growling and insulting anyone who disagreed with your opinion. Now after last nights debate with a brain dead president you come back here with your tail between your legs. This is hilarious! 😂 

37 minutes ago, Irv said:

I’m not even going to attempt to dissect Biden’s debate performance because it was absolutely absurd and he’s a danger to the office for the remaining six months he occupies it. 

As for Trump, moving forward .. especially if Biden is replaced:

-His constant pivoting to illegal immigration was strong.  Keep doing that. 

-Tying illegal immigration to safety, healthcare, social security and the economy was brilliant.  More of that as well. 

-His J6 response about the successes of it his administration, fantastic.  Just leave it at that.  No need to litigate further.  

-In regards to accepting the result of the election … “I will absolutely accept the result of a free and fair election”.   That’s it.  Done.  Stop talking. 

-Stop riffing off the cuff about abortion.  Just say it’s returned to the states where the people can decide and you won’t sign a national abortion ban.  Thats what he believes.  Stop rambling on this issue and just be concise.   His position is wildly mainstream, bordering on being more progressive than the average American, yet he goes on and on about nonsense every time. 

-If anyone has seen 8 Mile, B-Rabbit wins in the end because he addresses everything his opponent was going to say beforehand.  Trump did that with the “economists”.   Biden had that in his back pocket and when he played it, Trump already undercut it and it never landed.   In a more serious debate, that stuff matters. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

This was a real spectacle. An old man with failing mental and physical capacity who couldn't put 2 sentences together. and a guy who finds ways of lying when his mouth opens, a self declared golf club  champion at two clubs, who will, without question, will change the way America is governed if elected. The only time Trump did not lie was when he said Biden couldn't remember what he said.

There is not a possibility of a man or woman on a white horse entering the picture. America has painted itself into a political corner. No way out.

PS. The most intelligent voice I have heard all week...Marco Rubio. 

If Biden had a running mate of that caliber he could still win. 

It’s funny that you don’t think Biden also lied a ton last night. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I agree with this.  

Trump was easily heading towards re-election if not for Covid.. and that’s even WITH the coordinated four year smear campaign between media, Dems & unelected beaurocrats. 

That being said, Trump is his own worst enemy and - no matter who the nominee is - the gameplan will be the same.. just this time the plays run with be J6 & “convicted felon” instead of Covid. 

If J6 never occurred, Trump would be unstoppable right now.   But it did.  And so he’s vulnerable. 

Convicted felon and January 6 narratives are fading, especially with Trump saying last night he told people to be peaceful and the fresh SCOTUS ruling. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Yesterday you were acting as though Khameni was a pussycat compared to some idiot on twitter. You should consider taking a break. 

I said he should have been banned as well. Let’s keep up here.