Bills fan spotted! (In New Zealand.)

Bad Things

Kia ora, all!

Next month will mark 19 years since my wife and I moved our young family to New Zealand. 

Although the predominant sports are rugby and cricket, I’ve always kept a keen eye out for the rare tourist wearing NFL gear, in the hopes that someday I’d finally bump into a Bills fan.

Well, that glorious day has finally arrived!

I was just in the produce area of our local grocery store, when I looked up and saw this young mum pushing her child in a stroller.  I looked up and just about froze when I saw she was wearing a Bills hat.

I introduced myself and let her know that I’ve been looking out for any Bills fans for almost 20 years which made her laugh.

She and her family were visiting the South Island from Pennsylvania and said that her husband was originally from WNY.  I guess he converted her to become a Bills fan years ago.

Anyway, we high-fived and I gave her a hearty “Go Bills!”

That said, it may sound silly to you all, but for me it was just reassuring that my wife and I aren’t the only fans down here.

Let’s Go, Buffalo!!!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In a few weeks I'll be wearing my Bills gear on a Caribbean cruise I'll let the group know if I run into any fans....

Although New Zealand really is half a world away.

• Like (+1) 1

awesome matey. We are legion, we are everywhere and we are like cockroaches. Where you see one another 50 are hidden away out of view

LOL

You kept the faith and were rewarded. How cool is that 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/27/2024 at 1:25 AM, qwksilver said:

In a few weeks I'll be wearing my Bills gear on a Caribbean cruise I'll let the group know if I run into any fans....

Although New Zealand really is half a world away.

Have a great time on your cruise.  We have been to the Caribbean multiple times and always run into Bills's  fans.

Camouflage  clothing is banned on several Caribbean Islands, so I suggest you leave that clothing at home.  Along

with the bullets as experienced in Turks and Caicos by several US citizens recently.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visiting family for a few weeks in Côte d'Azur right now and some guy in Nice noticed I had a Buffalo Bills waist pack & asked if I was a fan…very unexpected but outstanding!

300+ days of sunshine/year here.

• Like (+1) 1

My sister and brother-in-law  went on a two week trip to Europe  and returned 7/4. They spent 3 days in Rome and saw the Colosseum. It was a hot day (95-100) and they couldn't get a taxi back to the hotel about a mile or so away so they walked. They saw a nice little place on a  side street and went in to get a drink. They were talking and a mother and her adult daughter  said "You're Americans! Where are you from?" My sister replied "Buffalo".  They said "So are we!!" The daughter is the executive  chef for the Bills players and staff at the stadium!

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our cruise. I did run into a few Bills fans not as many as other cruises.

One of them was actually someone who went to the same high school as me (although quite a few years after me).