According to PFF Connor McGovern is good

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Would love to see VanPran be good enough to start at center and leave our other 4 spots intact. Hope he gets a legit chance to run with the starters in TC.

McGovern might stay at guard but it might not be Van Pran who is the reason why. I really need to see Anderson start against some 1s in preseason because he dominated the 2s and 3s. The one complication is that with Bates gone he's got the position flex you want in a #6.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the point wasn't to compare him to other (no one throws a lot of passes over 20 yards).  I was pointing out that he has actually decreased his long passes over the years--the opposite of what another poster was suggesting.

yeah--opposing Defenses are feeling free to tee off on Josh Allen...

I think what the high blitz percentage and high air yards per attempt really implies is that Allen doesn't audible into a hot route very often and that he really should be doing a lot more of it. 

Edited by Billy Claude

Reading this board, you’d think almost every pass play Allen was under duress, when that couldn’t have been further from the truth. The line pass blocked very well, even with Allen holding the ball. If he was a first read QB like Tua, Cousins, or Purdy, the protection numbers would look even better.
The OL last year was a strength for the first time in years. No Vlad Ducasse types starting. We’ll see if it can match (or exceed) the production this year with potentially two new positional starters. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Not really. McGovern sat out the 2019 season in Dallas and when he got on the field in 2020 the Cowboys were set at center so he played 14 games at right guard, then switched over to left guard in 2021 and 2022. With Dallas he started 29 games and he played center only in a pinch for about 100 snaps. He was never tried at center seriously, only moved there due to positional emergencies.

The most important thing is the center/QB exchange, and that takes repetitive reps in practice to get right. He never had the proper preparation in Dallas for center.

OK then, let's hope that's right.  That's not the story we heard earlier, but I hope what you said is correct, also that the Bills' offense is a good fit for his skills.

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

Reading this board, you’d think almost every pass play Allen was under duress, when that couldn’t have been further from the truth. The line pass blocked very well, even with Allen holding the ball. If he was a first read QB like Tua, Cousins, or Purdy, the protection numbers would look even better.
The OL last year was a strength for the first time in years. No Vlad Ducasse types starting. We’ll see if it can match (or exceed) the production this year with potentially two new positional starters. 

Agreed. We went through years of bad oline play with last year being the first year of good oline play in awhile. Metrics aside, it was pretty noticeable how much better the line was last year just from watching.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When the defense blitzes, does that mean pressure comes faster?  

yes--Defenses sense the weakness and exploit it.

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I think what the high blitz percentage and high air yards per attempt really implies is that Allen doesn't audible into a hot route very often and that he really should be doing a lot more of it. 

it could be.  but we all saw him spending a lot of time scrambling, running from a collapsing pocket.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it could be.  but we all saw him spending a lot of time scrambling, running from a collapsing pocket.

If Allen took the hot read he wouldn't need to scramble so much and eventually there will be a lot less blitzing.

Is there correlation between a high blitz rate and quality of the oline?    If the oline was really bad, why bother blitzing at all -- you can get there without it.

Edited by Billy Claude

10 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

If Allen took the hot read he wouldn't need to scramble so much and eventually there will be a lot less blitzing.

Is there correlation between a high blitz rate and quality of the oline?    If the oline was really bad, why bother blitzing at all -- you can get there without it.

it's not a bad O-line.  got a guy who was described as 25th at his position....

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Interesting.  So you only blitz weak offensive lines often.  I did not know that.

I guess that means Philly, Green Bay and Detroit had even worse offensive lines because they were blitzed more often.  Because you know, the defense sense the weakness and exploit it.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it comes down to the anchor at LG.  Torrence and McGovern have very good anchors.  They dont get pushed back.  That creates a solid pocket for Allen to step up in.  Morse was good to great at alot of areas.  His one area he struggled with was anchoring.  If Edwards or whoever else competing for LG doesn't anchor well it will come down to whether VPG can. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Interesting.  So you only blitz weak offensive lines often.  I did not know that.

I guess that means Philly, Green Bay and Detroit had even worse offensive lines because they were blitzed more often.  Because you know, the defense sense the weakness and exploit it.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

That would be an odd statement to make, good thing I didn't. 

Green Bay gave far better protection to Love.  This was evident. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That would be an odd statement to make, good thing I didn't. 

Green Bay gave far better protection to Love.  This was evident. 

Well then what did you mean by "defenses sense weakness and exploit it"?

Did defenses sense weakness in the Bills offensive line and that's why they blitzed more?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

it’s one reason they blitz. 

I'm not going to go back and forth anymore.  

We all know the reason why you brought up "defenses sense weakness and exploit it" when it comes to Allen being blitzed a lot.  Because you want to continue the Bills didn't have good pass protection.  Then you find out teams with better OL's were blitzed even more..."its one reason they blitz" LOL Weo.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/27/2024 at 4:22 PM, Mr. WEO said:

it's not a bad O-line.  got a guy who was described as 25th at his position....

Nice deflection.   You get called out for saying Allen gets blitz a lot because the oline stinks and then bring up an entirely irrelevant point. 

First as it turns out Allen doesn't actually get blitz an extremely high percentage of time. He ranks high in number of times he is blitzed because he passes a lot. He is blitzed on 30.2% of dropbacks where dropbacks are counted as attempts  + sacks.  This turns out to rank 11th among qualifying qbs, so above average but clearly in the main portion of the bell curve.  Jordan Love leads at 35.3% while Brock Purdy is just below Allen at 30.1%.

Second there is little correlation between how good an oline is and whether the opponents blitzs a lot.   Lamar Jackson (34.2%), Jared Goff (33.5%), Jalen Hurts (32.2%) and Matthew Stafford (31.2%) were all blitz at a higher rate than Allen and I think most people would agree that those QBs had good olines protecting them.

OTOH, Zach Wilson (27.3%), the Giants QBS (28.2%) and Kyler Murray (25.5%) all were blitzed at a lower rate than Allen.  Again, I  think most people would agree that the Jets, Giants and Cardinals had some of the worse olines in the league last season.

The QBs blitzed at the lowest rate were Burrow (21.3%), Mahomes (21.2%), and Tagovailoa (19.7%). This is just another indication that blitz percentage is primarily a QB/OC stat rather than an oline stat. 

I would definitely like to see the blitz percentage on Allen be a lot closer to Mahomes but that is up to Allen and Brady and not a reflection of the quality of the oline.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Nice deflection.   You get called out for saying Allen gets blitz a lot because the oline stinks and then bring up an entirely irrelevant point. 

First as it turns out Allen doesn't actually get blitz an extremely high percentage of time. He ranks high in number of times he is blitzed because he passes a lot. He is blitzed on 30.2% of dropbacks where dropbacks are counted as attempts  + sacks.  This turns out to rank 11th among qualifing qbs so above average but clearly in the middle of the bell curve.  Jordan Love leads at 35.3% while Brock Purday is just below Allen at 30.1%.

Secondly there is little correlation between how good an oline is and whether it the opponents blitzs a lot.   Lamar Jackson (34.2%), Jared Goff (33.5%), Jalen Hurts (32.2%) and Matthew Stafford (31.2%) were all blitz at a higher rate than Allen and I think most people would agree that those QBs had good olines protecting them.

OTOH, Zach Wilson (27.3%), the Giants QBS (25.3%) and Kyler Murray (25.5%) all were blitzed a lower rate than Allen.  Again, I  think most people would agree that the Jets, Giants and Cardinals had some of the worse olines in the league last season.

The QBs blitzed at the lowest rate were Burrow (21.3%), Mahomes (21.2%), and Tagovailoa (19.7%). This is just another indication that blitz percentage is primarily a QB stat rather than an oline stat.

Par for the course 

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not going to go back and forth anymore.  

We all know the reason why you brought up "defenses sense weakness and exploit it" when it comes to Allen being blitzed a lot.  Because you want to continue the Bills didn't have good pass protection.  Then you find out teams with better OL's were blitzed even more..."its one reason they blitz" LOL Weo.

it’s not great protection that he has.  Pretty simple