According to PFF Connor McGovern is good

78thealltimegreat

4 hours ago, T master said:

Maybe (But i doubt it) this can quite some of those that complained about Beane trading Teller to the Browns . Although it would have been nice to have him because he is a bad man but he was more of a unknown then than now but Beane has definitely focused on the O line since .

And some his his picks have been pilfered by other teams so they must like his work too !! 

I feel that developing Teller was a luxury the Bills couldn't afford at the time.  He was aggressive but the knock on him was that sometimes his aggression got him in trouble.  He would get off balance and whiff.  Having a lineman in the middle whiff on a rusher is the last thing you want with a young QB who you hope to be your franchise player.  At the time, Beane had signed a ton of journeyman linemen who were competent but unspectacular.  I think he wanted a bunch of low ceiling, high floor guys who would just help keep Allen from getting killed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In an interview a couple of weeks back, Beane was asked about how fans view certain players vs. how the team views those players. He said sometimes they are much more confident in the building about a player than the fans are. He used Spencer Brown and Terrell Bernard as examples from last year, and then used Connor moving to center as an example for this year. We may be nervous about the transition, but it seems that the team is not.

Also, I recently heard Connor say that center was his true position and he is excited about the move.

Who knows where he will rank by the end of the year, but I have a feeling it will work out. No question Morse was an excellent center, great leader, very good with his line calls, great rapport with Josh, etc. But he was never the most stout center up the middle either. McGovern is about 15 pounds heavier than Morse and six years younger. Hopefully, that will translate into a more secure pocket for Josh. Who knows, I guess we'll see. But I do expect Connor to hold off the rookie and man the center position this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McGovern thinks center is his natural position but the Cowboys tried him there and he was terrible.  All the hoopla about him taking that job and holding it sounds great and I hope it's all accurate because that would solidify the line, but I would not be surprised if the rookie with too many names takes the center job by early November, and McGovern slides back to LG.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills 4th in QB hurries allowed, 8th in least pocket time, 5th in QB hits allowed, 8th in pressures allowed, 3rd in scrambles on passing plays.

Josh Allen hides many O-line sins.....

If this is based on pure totals, the number of passing attempts factors into this and we are always in the top end.  

I also believe Allen holds the ball longer than most QB's because he likes to get the ball downfield....

There is always context in base stats.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If this is based on pure totals, the number of passing attempts factors into this and we are always in the top end.  

I also believe Allen holds the ball longer than most QB's because he likes to get the ball downfield....

There is always context in base stats.

I wonder if there was a difference after Brady took over as OC?

• Simon changed the title to [Misleading Title]
54 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I feel that developing Teller was a luxury the Bills couldn't afford at the time.  He was aggressive but the knock on him was that sometimes his aggression got him in trouble.  He would get off balance and whiff.  Having a lineman in the middle whiff on a rusher is the last thing you want with a young QB who you hope to be your franchise player.  At the time, Beane had signed a ton of journeyman linemen who were competent but unspectacular.  I think he wanted a bunch of low ceiling, high floor guys who would just help keep Allen from getting killed.

Agree. I think Beane & Co. liked Teller but had no room for him on active roster. Rather than put him on practice squad, and have another team poach him, they opted for a 6th (?) Rounder from the Browns.

1 hour ago, folz said:

In an interview a couple of weeks back, Beane was asked about how fans view certain players vs. how the team views those players. He said sometimes they are much more confident in the building about a player than the fans are. He used Spencer Brown and Terrell Bernard as examples from last year, and then used Connor moving to center as an example for this year. We may be nervous about the transition, but it seems that the team is not.

Also, I recently heard Connor say that center was his true position and he is excited about the move.

Who knows where he will rank by the end of the year, but I have a feeling it will work out. No question Morse was an excellent center, great leader, very good with his line calls, great rapport with Josh, etc. But he was never the most stout center up the middle either. McGovern is about 15 pounds heavier than Morse and six years younger. Hopefully, that will translate into a more secure pocket for Josh. Who knows, I guess we'll see. But I do expect Connor to hold off the rookie and man the center position this year.

Let's hope that Elam is "that guy" this year.

And consider the famous Marv Levy quote that if you start making decisions based on what the fans want, you'll soon be sitting with them.  I have strong opinions about the Bills and what they do, but I give McDermott and Beane a lot of leeway.  Both seem to be hard working, intelligent guys who take their jobs very seriously, so I've got to think that in most cases, they know a whole lot more about what they're doing than I do (or any of the rest of us).

There's also the old NE Patriots and Bill Walsh philosophy that its better to get rid of a guy a year too early than a year too late.  That's probably the case with Morse, Poyer, and possibly even Diggs.  McGovern may or may not work out at Center, but they have a good option at guard with Edwards and after the draft they now have SVP to develop and back up at Center.  I think McGovern will start the season at C, but if SVP has a great camp and shows well in the early games (maybe there will be some blowouts and he'll get some garbage time snaps), he could take over the job later in the season, leaving McGovern to battle it out with Edwards for the Guard spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we had to run the ball more because we weren't getting passing production from our #1 or #2 WR's.  Both Davis and Diggs disappeared in the 2nd half.

This is also the reason that the offense “sputtered” late and in the playoffs, Diggs had pretty much gone to full on trade me mode, and Davis just can’t seam to stay healthy in any season, we had to rely on Shakir, Kincaid and  the run game to cover for Diggs and Davis. Diggs has never been a game changer come playoff time, in nine playoff games he has accounted for “two” (2) touchdowns…, while the ever maligned Dawson Knox has had seven TDs…,

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’ll be David Edwards. This will be the best run blocking OL the Bills have had with Allen. They’re going to try and bully teams upfront. 

Yup, mix up the run with the short to mid strike passing game. I don't require the incessant need for "chuck plays" as long as we sustain drives, tire opposing defenses and score.  We're going to have a solid OL with decent depth. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’ll be David Edwards. This will be the best run blocking OL the Bills have had with Allen. They’re going to try and bully teams upfront. 

I don't know about Edwards, but I would love, love, love the Bills to be able to run at will, especially in the red zone.   That would make the Bills passing game absolutely lethal, especially off play action.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I don't know about Edwards, but I would love, love, love the Bills to be able to run at will, especially in the red zone.   That would make the Bills passing game absolutely lethal, especially off play action.

I vaguely remember what it was like to have a manly OL that could push the DL back in short yardage situations.

I'm nostalgic for an OL like that.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I vaguely remember what it was like to have a manly OL that could push the DL back in short yardage situations.

I'm nostalgic for an OL like that.  

I'm old enough to remember the Electric Company, the OL that blocked for OJ for his fabulous 2003 yard season in 1973.   Everybody knew they were going to run, and they still did it.  Last season, the OL showed some flashes of that under Brady, so I'm very hopeful.

• Like (+1) 2

• 78thealltimegreat changed the title to According to PFF Connor McGovern is very good
7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

not to brag but😏

I’ve been one of the minority or maybe I’ve been the only poster lol  to take a wait and see approach to McGovern due to his lack of Center play at the NFL level.

The more I’ve seen him interviewed in the last couple months, the more comfortable I’ve become, he gives off good vibes. Maybe he flourishes at C and I’m thinking the coaches let Morse go in large part due to what they’ve seen from McGovern behind the scenes.

• Like (+1) 3

• Simon changed the title to According to PFF Connor McGovern is good
1 hour ago, julian said:

I’ve been one of the minority or maybe I’ve been the only poster lol  to take a wait and see approach to McGovern due to his lack of Center play at the NFL level.

The more I’ve seen him interviewed in the last couple months, the more comfortable I’ve become, he gives off good vibes. Maybe he flourishes at C and I’m thinking the coaches let Morse go in large part due to what they’ve seen from McGovern behind the scenes.

Ya I'm not sure what to expect at C from him. I'd much rather keep him at G and the rookie takes over and Edwards keeps that 6th OL role that Brday likes and both both excelled in

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya I'm not sure what to expect at C from him. I'd much rather keep him at G and the rookie takes over and Edwards keeps that 6th OL role that Brday likes and both both excelled in

That would be my preference as well, keeping the left and right sides of the line intact would be nice.

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

McGovern thinks center is his natural position but the Cowboys tried him there and he was terrible.  All the hoopla about him taking that job and holding it sounds great and I hope it's all accurate because that would solidify the line, but I would not be surprised if the rookie with too many names takes the center job by early November, and McGovern slides back to LG.  

Does anyone know anything about the blocking scheme Dallas used when McGovern played C there?  

I have no clue myself, but that can have a huge impact on an OLmen performance 

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Doesn’t that just prove the Packers OL is better?

Yes-  but that wouldn’t be dumping on the Bills.

thread about connor McGovern gets morphed into the Bills OL sucks.  So typical of the poster.  Doesn’t just dump on the player being discussed-  rather the entire OL.  😂