Which Team Do You Expect to Represent the AFC in the 2024-25 Super Bowl?

Chaos

Which Team Do You Expect to Represent the AFC in the 2024-25 Super Bowl?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team Do You Expect to Represent the AFC in the 2024-25 Super Bowl?

• Buffalo Bills
    • Kansas City Chiefs
    • Other Team

17 hours ago, FireChans said:

Chiefs will cruise. They are better than last year.

I see this opinion a lot but not sure I agree. They have the same question marks at OT and WR that they had last year. They lost their best CB in Sneed. Kelce is another year older. Not that any of that will matter of course but just looking at the roster it is a lateral step at best IMO.

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

Chiefs will cruise. They are better than last year. Mahomes probably wins MVP easy too 

I don't know about "cruise" to a championship. Football is such a tough sport. Injuries can ruin any teams season at any time. Also, Kelce is what 34, 35. At some point he has to slow down. The Chiefs will be the favorites in the AFC as they should but there are a handful of teams that have a realistic shot to beat them.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know about "cruise" to a championship. Football is such a tough sport. Injuries can ruin any teams season at any time. Also, Kelce is what 34, 35. At some point he has to slow down. The Chiefs will be the favorites in the AFC as they should but there are a handful of teams that have a realistic shot to beat them.

Injuries ruined the Pats dynasty once in their 20 year run.

I'm voting "other" as the most probable answer. As far as the Chiefs, getting to the Super Bowl three times in a row is just really really hard and the AFC is still extremely competitive. As far as the Bills, I don't think we have enough high end talent to make a real run this year. Of the Bills and Chiefs I think the Chiefs are quite a bit more likely to make it than we are because of coaching advantages and less turnover on their roster compared to us. So overall I'd bet on the field but it's close between the field and the Chiefs.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Injuries ruined the Pats dynasty once in their 20 year run.

Good point. They also had the GOAT QB and GOAT HC leading them. Plus, back then the AFCE was the Pats, Moe, Larry, and Curly. NE had no competition for the division and basically had it won by mid Oct. 

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Good point. They also had the GOAT QB and GOAT HC leading them. Plus, back then the AFCE was the Pats, Moe, Larry, and Curly. NE had no competition for the division and basically had it won by mid Oct. 

so how much different are the Chiefs at this point? 

Best QB, check

best HC, check

best TE, check

weak division, check

We are living in the new Pats dynasty right now.

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

so how much different are the Chiefs at this point? 

Best QB, check

best HC, check

best TE, check

weak division, check

We are living in the new Pats dynasty right now.

I guess it's not much different. I hope the Chargers with Harbaugh will eventually build a team that can give them serious competition in the division. Nobody in the AFCE gave the Pats competition during their dynasty run.

Edited by Gregg

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I see this opinion a lot but not sure I agree. They have the same question marks at OT and WR that they had last year. They lost their best CB in Sneed. Kelce is another year older. Not that any of that will matter of course but just looking at the roster it is a lateral step at best IMO.

I think they are obviously better at WR unless Rice misses half the season or something but until we hear anything from the league on possible discipline I am going to act like he is there. His development plus Hollywood Brown compared to the start of last season when MVS was arguably their best vet receiver. And that is without even trying to predict the impact Worthy could have. 

OT is a legit concern. I have never been a Jawaan Taylor guy right back to him being drafted by the Jags and it looks right now like Wanya Morris or the rookie out of BYU will start at left tackle. I still wouldn't be surprised if they add a ring chasing vet. But basically their tackles were bad last year and it wasn't enough of a problem to stop them because they have a magician at Quarterback. 

The one area they have "got worse" is corner losing Sneed. But they still have McDuffie, I imagine he will move back outside and I like the two young corners in the system from the 2022 draft. Jaylen Watson had an exceptional game in the Eagles Superbowl as a 7th round rookie (he outplayed McDuffie that day actually) and Joshua Williams, who took a little longer to come around, was balling by the end of last season. Sure, neither of them are Sneed day 1, but they are two talented young corners who have already started and performed in big spots for the Chiefs. 

I think they are better than they have been the last two years UNLESS Kelce has dropped off either through age or "other interests". If he is still Travis Kelce this team will be better. They were 11-6 last year. They will be at least 2 wins better in 2024. And then as for the playoffs.... well unless Tom Brady is on the other side Mahomes is 13-1. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

On 6/28/2024 at 1:45 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think they are obviously better at WR unless Rice misses half the season or something but until we hear anything from the league on possible discipline I am going to act like he is there. His development plus Hollywood Brown compared to the start of last season when MVS was arguably their best vet receiver. And that is without even trying to predict the impact Worthy could have. 

OT is a legit concern. I have never been a Jawaan Taylor guy right back to him being drafted by the Jags and it looks right now like Wanya Morris or the rookie out of BYU will start at left tackle. I still wouldn't be surprised if they add a ring chasing vet. But basically their tackles were bad last year and it wasn't enough of a problem to stop them because they have a magician at Quarterback. 

The one area they have "got worse" is corner losing Sneed. But they still have McDuffie, I imagine he will move back outside and I like the two young corners in the system from the 2022 draft. Jaylen Watson had an exceptional game in the Eagles Superbowl as a 7th round rookie (he outplayed McDuffie that day actually) and Joshua Williams, who took a little longer to come around, was balling by the end of last season. Sure, neither of them are Sneed day 1, but they are two talented young corners who have already started and performed in big spots for the Chiefs. 

I think they are better than they have been the last two years UNLESS Kelce has dropped off either through age or "other interests". If he is still Travis Kelce this team will be better. They were 11-6 last year. They will be at least 2 wins better in 2024. And then as for the playoffs.... well unless Tom Brady is on the other side Mahomes is 13-1. 

Reid is 13-1 too.  Hard to separate that from Mahomes. Unless Mahomes does the gameplanning and play calling in the playoffs. In which case it is all Mahomes. 

On 6/27/2024 at 9:59 AM, Gregg said:

I guess it's not much different. I hope the Chargers with Harbaugh will eventually build a team that can give them serious competition in the division. Nobody in the AFCE gave the Pats competition during their dynasty run.

The Jets had that two year stretch with Rex.

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Reid is 13-1 too.  Hard to separate that from Mahomes. Unless Mahomes does the gameplanning and play calling in the playoffs. In which case it is all Mahomes. 

What was Reid's record in playoff games with KC pre-Mahomes?

Reid is a great coach. A HoF coach. But Pat Mahomes is the reason they are 13-1 against non-Brady teams. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

You have to go with the Chiefs till another team can prove that they are likely to beat them in the post season which has been very hard during the Mahomes/Reid/Spags era - they are a team that consistently makes the post season and once there they elevate their post-season play and opponent game planning from what you see in the regular season.

The Bills are the next best bet as they are consistently sniffing around the post season and just have not had the juice to get far enough. Much of that I attribute to our defenses simply unable to close the door when we have a late lead. We need to be healthier (particularly on defense) down the stretch.