The Bills have over $10 million in cap space- what is Beane’s plan?

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete said:

The Bills like to keep $5 million free for operations all season.

That leaves $5 free in cap space.

There is still 71 days until 2024 NFL season starts.  All NFL rosters are in flux.

Last year we added Leonard Floyd late.

Who might Bills target?  What position group?

QB - x

RB- depth maybe

OL-doubtful

TE-nope

WR-maybe

DL-doubtful 

Edge-maybe

CB-my guess

S-doubtful 

What is your opinion?

Surely they will be cutting some higher priced players once younger players beat them out that will save them some money on the cap as well. Jack Browning at punter is highly likely to unseat Martin for starters.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That can’t be right.

If all 16 PS players have less than 2 years accrued it would cost $3.6 million for the season. Six of the 16 players can be veterans with 2 or more years, but that drives the cost up to anywhere between $3.6 - $4.52 million.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

If all 16 PS players have less than 2 years accrued it would cost $3.6 million for the season. Six of the 16 players can be veterans with 2 or more years, but that drives the cost up to anywhere between $3.6 - $4.52 million.

Exactly!  Also, every time a couple of PS players get "elevated" for the week, they get a one-week bump in pay.

I was being generous only quoting $4M for the year.

Beane also knows that for every player that ends up on IR, he needs to replace that guy on the 53 roster.

Let's all hope that doesn't cost too much this year!

Thanks for replying.  I get tired of doing the math for board members multiple time per year!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly!  Also, every time a couple of PS players get "elevated" for the week, they get a one-week bump in pay.

I was being generous only quoting $4M for the year.

Beane also knows that for every player that ends up on IR, he needs to replace that guy on the 53 roster.

Let's all hope that doesn't cost too much this year!

Thanks for replying.  I get tired of doing the math for board members multiple time per year!

This is just operating costs of the season? $3-4 million. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is just operating costs of the season? $3-4 million. 

Not sure what you mean.  Once the final cutdown to 53 happens the PS is established and the $4M hit is on the books.

Typically, Beane keeps another $3-$4M on top of that for the season.

Currently the cap is for the Top 51.  Once it gets to the season the cap has to cover the 53 roster, PS, IR and any other "designations".

On the plus side.  Not all of the current Top 51 will make the roster, a good number will be cut, and a lower salaried player will take their place.

Beane has a lot of options, but I don't see any bigger signings coming unless it's too good to pass on.

I for one would hope he would sit on some of it to see who might come available when the cuts come down . A lot of really good players that might have lost a half step but are still really good dependable depth players come available after cuts are made when they can't beat out a younger player on the rise .

Plus i think by then Mika might have made a decision on what he wants to do and would play for a very cap friendly contracgt as more of a player/coach of the younger players & a kind of "safety" (pun intended) blanket type player .

It’s a shame we couldn’t get creative and work it into something for Aiyuk. Give him a contract where obviously the bigger money starts next year. I really like our WR room as across the board depth but adding a very good guy would put us in another world offensively. A young legit #1 that can come in and fit nicely, not go overboard with commanding targets…it’s just an ideal fit IMO. I know it’s a pipe dream but I feel like there’s a way.

2 hours ago, T master said:

I for one would hope he would sit on some of it to see who might come available when the cuts come down . A lot of really good players that might have lost a half step but are still really good dependable depth players come available after cuts are made when they can't beat out a younger player on the rise .

Plus i think by then Mika might have made a decision on what he wants to do and would play for a very cap friendly contracgt as more of a player/coach of the younger players & a kind of "safety" (pun intended) blanket type player .

If we sign Hyde, can we finally get rid of Hamlin?  Nice story that he is still alive and ticking, and can hopefully live a normal life for many years.  But my god the guy can't play a lick of football at the NFL level..  

Matakevich is still a free agent, so that seems like an easy way to spend $4m

On 6/27/2024 at 11:30 AM, Paup 1995MVP said:

If we sign Hyde, can we finally get rid of Hamlin?  Nice story that he is still alive and ticking, and can hopefully live a normal life for many years.  But my god the guy can't play a lick of football at the NFL level..  

I'd rather have Hamlin than Hyde at this point. Hyde is totally washed and Hamlin was more than serviceable when he filled in.

The Bills do not functionally have 10 million or so in cap space. The Bills need to account for in season emergencies (Which they like to have about 3-4 million for) and the practice squad (which yes does count and usually requires a 4 million reserve). So the Bills have after the PS about 6 million in space which will cover in season contingencies and a possible trade deadline acquisition (which you can get more for less in season in terms of absorbing cap space.)

TLDR: Bills are gonna use that space for the Practice Squad, in season emergency space, and flexibility to make a move at the trade deadline.