What’s a policy you fully support that would be very unpopular in real life?

Let’s get nuts. What’s a policy that you personally support that you know the general populace is very unlikely to support. It can be local, state, federal, whatever. 

For me, I believe that the second you turn 70 years old, you should have to take a road test for your drivers license every year. Studies show that it’s about this age that traffic accidents exponentially increase. 

Let’s make some policies!

• Agree 3

Anyone who identifies another person by their skin color should be cited for racism. The entire democrat party would be fined on the daily. Segregating people by skin color is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and it happens all day every day. We are all HUMANS 

• Like (+1) 4

I would like to see us go to a VAT in lieu of the income tax. A VAT taxes consumption, not earnings or savings. We spend an enormous amount of time and money around income taxes, tax preparation, tax avoidance, etc. This is the single most wasteful thing in our economy.

The regressive effects could be mitigated by some kind of rebate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drivers aged 16–24 were involved in 22.8% of all accidents in 2021. Drivers aged 25–34 were involved in almost as many accidents—22.6%—and no other age groups were involved in nearly as many crashes

https://www.chainlaw.com/what-age-group-causes-the-most-car-accidents/#:~:text=Young Drivers Have the Most,in nearly as many crashes.

Individual liberty for all without the Karens wanting the government to enforce their Ideology/Will on others.

End all Wars/Military acts without a full vote in congress for each one.

Cap and demand every PAC and Dual Charity disclose funding when they get it.  

Politicians wear patches for who or what groups fund them. Like NASCAR

VAT would be interesting if it replaced income tax.  it is regressive.  As the EU added it to the Income tax.  

Edited by Tommy Callahan

2 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Get rid of ny state vehicle inspections! Cash grab disguised as a safety protocol.

In Colorado we have emissions tests for cars that are older than a certain number of years. I can't remember how many years (5?), but I've got a car that needs it this year. Passage rate is extremely high for any car newer than about 2010. Incredibly wasteful of my time and money.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

In Colorado we have emissions tests for cars that are older than a certain number of years. I can't remember how many years (5?), but I've got a car that needs it this year. Passage rate is extremely high for any car newer than about 2010. Incredibly wasteful of my time and money.

It was like that when I lived in New Mexico. I'll take an emissions test over inspections any day though!

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

It was like that when I lived in New Mexico. I'll take an emissions test over inspections any day though!

I was told that you only inspect your vehicle when its bought and sold in Florida. and no Emissions.

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I would like to see us go to a VAT in lieu of the income tax. A VAT taxes consumption, not earnings or savings. We spend an enormous amount of time and money around income taxes, tax preparation, tax avoidance, etc. This is the single most wasteful thing in our economy.

The regressive effects could be mitigated by some kind of rebate.

A VAT isn't perfect but it's better than what we're doing now. Throw in some rebates at the lower levels and for having dependents and it's a winner. Not even sure it would be unpopular in real life.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In NY cars newer than 2 years and older than 24 years are exempt from the emissions portion of the inspection. It should be noted that emissions inspections are required in some areas per the feds.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd go primarily election reforms that would destroy the two-party system and end the duopoly of the Democratic and Republican parties.

• Elections no longer being First Past the Post, but instead using Single Transferable Vote or Ranked Choice voting.
  • Congressional districts being multi-member districts.
  • Repeal the arbitrary cap of 435 seats in the US House set in 1911 and greatly increase the size of the House to reduce the ratio of members of Congress to people living in a district. I'd start with doubling it and go from there.
  • End gerrymandering nationwide through methods like independent committees, shortest split line, efficiency gap, etc.
  • Overturn Citizens United, ban SuperPACs, and seriously clamp down on how much money can be spent on elections

This would likely result in:

• Viable minority parties being able to get elected
  • Both the Democratic and Republican parties splitting up into smaller parties like leftist, center-left, center-right, and right wing
  • No real Spoiler Effect
  • Voters being able to choose their representatives instead of the other way around
  • Voters actually being able to hold elected accountable since they won't have to choose between the lesser of two evils
  • Reduction of zero-sum "us vs them" politics as parties will likely need to partner in coalitions to get things done; likely also reduction in negative partisanship
  • Elections not being dominated by the ultra rich who can just buy their way in
  • Conservatives in liberal areas able to get representation and vice versa with liberals in conservative areas
  • Reduction in geographic polarization

Killing child molesters, no trial. Just kill them right in the middle of the city in the middle of the day so everyone can see. They don’t deserve to live and it would stop others from doing it hopefully.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Killing child molesters, no trial. Just kill them right in the middle of the city in the middle of the day so everyone can see. They don’t deserve to live and it would stop others from doing it hopefully.

We agree on something!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Agreed, at least in NYS it’s a capped cost but still. Should be limited to emissions. Always felt like the dealer used it as an excuse to get you to buy more unnecessary maintenance. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Agreed, at least in NYS it’s a capped cost but still. Should be limited to emissions. Always felt like the dealer used it as an excuse to get you to buy more unnecessary maintenance. 

The line from the DMV is great. "You're not required to get the repairs done at the shop that failed your car!" Fat lot of good that does people when the dealer is scraping the inspection sticker off your car whilst the rabbit ears embedded in every trooper hat in a 50 mile radius turn on you simultaneously.

Demanding that proof of payment needs to be in place for any government program except defense.

If a program is to be invoked, it needs to have in place a method of funding, and that payment needs to be enforced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On inspections:

To inspect cars in NYS, a shop has to spend a one time $20k cost on the computer hardware needed.  But who are we kidding, the state will change and require new hardware probably every 5-7 years.  Additionally, I believe they have to pay yearly for a subscription to allow them the live connection to the NYS servers, although the mechanic I knew didn't go into those details.

Imagine all the NYS inspections shops smattered around the state, and quickly you realize the inertia already in motion.  Ain't no way the state nor mechanics will give up this racket.  Too much time/money invested to go back.  Just be lucky it is still $21, pleeb.

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

I'd go primarily election reforms that would destroy the two-party system and end the duopoly of the Democratic and Republican parties.

• Elections no longer being First Past the Post, but instead using Single Transferable Vote or Ranked Choice voting.
  • Congressional districts being multi-member districts.
  • Repeal the arbitrary cap of 435 seats in the US House set in 1911 and greatly increase the size of the House to reduce the ratio of members of Congress to people living in a district. I'd start with doubling it and go from there.
  • End gerrymandering nationwide through methods like independent committees, shortest split line, efficiency gap, etc.
  • Overturn Citizens United, ban SuperPACs, and seriously clamp down on how much money can be spent on elections

This would likely result in:

• Viable minority parties being able to get elected
  • Both the Democratic and Republican parties splitting up into smaller parties like leftist, center-left, center-right, and right wing
  • No real Spoiler Effect
  • Voters being able to choose their representatives instead of the other way around
  • Voters actually being able to hold elected accountable since they won't have to choose between the lesser of two evils
  • Reduction of zero-sum "us vs them" politics as parties will likely need to partner in coalitions to get things done; likely also reduction in negative partisanship
  • Elections not being dominated by the ultra rich who can just buy their way in
  • Conservatives in liberal areas able to get representation and vice versa with liberals in conservative areas
  • Reduction in geographic polarization

I agree with you on the transferable vote thing. We used to say that our system of elections meant that politics was fought in between the 40 yard lines. That's not how it works now. We are now in a horrible rut that rewards extremes on both sides by the way our primary process works.

But I disagree on expanding the size of the House. It is already pretty unwieldy, and I can't imagine a 900 member House being more willing to reach reasonable compromises. I think it would only get worse as representatives answer only to their smaller/even more uniform constituents. Your gerrymander reforms could help, but I'm not optimistic.

Truth. 

Also, it’s time to destroy the drug cartels.  They’re a much bigger national security threat than anything that Iraq did or didn’t do after the First Gulf War. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Anyone who identifies another person by their skin color should be cited for racism. The entire democrat party would be fined on the daily. Segregating people by skin color is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and it happens all day every day. We are all HUMANS 

For the 2000 census I wrote in Human for  my race.

• Thank you (+1) 1