Interesting Bills storylines to watch during training camp

Lots of interesting storylines the battles in camp are gonna be fun.

1- WR - Whose gonna emerge here? Shakir and Samuel should occupy 2 of the top 3 spots but that other WR “Top 3” spot is wide open as is the WR4 spot. Coleman, MVS, Hollins, and Claypool/Hamler will all be in the mix for those key spots. 

2- Center - McGovern is holding it down but will Van Pran get a hold of it and if so will they consider kicking McGovern back out to guard and Edwards to the bench/jumbo OT role again? Or does Van Pran need a year of seasoning? Will Alec Anderson or Clapp be in the mix as well? Lots to play out in that battle.

3- Ray Davis vs. Ty Johnson at RB2 is also very interesting to me. Davis is a good mid round pick but Ty produced well in a role last year. Good to have this be a battle for Cooks backup.

4- How much are they gonna use Knox and how will they use him. Two TE sets are gonna be aplenty in the offense but just how high are the gonna go percentage wise with two TE’s? Also will they use Knox as a full back and in other creative ways for some snaps here or there?

5- Rapp/Bishop is another quality battle. Rapp has a lot of starting experience including being on a Super Bowl winner with the Rams he also has a year in the Bills system. He has flaws as a player but is still a capable starter. Bishop is a high draft pick whose tools fit what the Bills like but he’s gonna have an adjustment period most likely. How quickly do they throw Bishop in the fire? Do they ease him into a role situationally or does he showcase enough to warrant heavy starter snaps out the gate?

Lots of other battles on the roster D-Line is a crowded field as well as is back up LB. Outside of a unproven WR core this team has a very good overall roster just have to hope they can piece together a good enough WR core and get the TE combo to be highly productive 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2024 at 9:19 AM, 3rdand12 said:

Thanks for the positive outlook in Edwards.

I do agree that This O line , including depth might be the best we have seen. Last year was a big improvement and I feel they have raised the bar again with some of the players brought in.

Just read an article on Spencer Brown and pretty stoked about his stats last year. and his health.

L Collins is healthy too and has played guard.

I gots a feeling :)

When I was young, I always heard that games were won and lost in the trenches.  But I didn't care.  I played WR in high school and always focused the skill postions when the Bills were on TV - especially the backs.  When OJ played, he commanded the totality of my attention.

But over the decades I've seen too many offenses falter because they couldn't protect the QB and/or open holes for the RB.  Now I pound the table a lot about OLs.  And I've been concerned for a long time that Beane has been neglecting it.  

But, for maybe the first time during Beane's tenure, I'm not especially worried.  I'm starting to think this just might, perhaps by a small margin, be the best OL in front of Josh yet.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2024 at 9:45 AM, Big Turk said:

Milano has to watch out he doesn't get mobbed by single women at training camp while interacting with the fans...if I had a dollar for every woman I've heard who says Matt Milano is "hot", I'd be very wealthy.

Does this make you jealous and if so, in what specific way?

On 6/25/2024 at 9:52 AM, BuffaloMatt said:

Will I surve this offseason

No kidding.

The "Close your eyes McDermott haters…he’s a top 10 HC" topic is up to 27 pages and the "I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better" topic is up to 25 pages... 

I haven't even clicked on either because I already know who is saying what, what arguments are being made and who's got their panties in a bunch.

On 6/25/2024 at 10:03 AM, HOUSE said:

If Von Miller doesn't look like Von Miller than how can we watch him?

On 6/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Which rookies will challenge veterans in training camp:

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger played 3 full college seasons at center and could beat out McGovern and send him back to left guard

Ray Davis is a better pass-blocker and has better hands than James Cook and could take a significant number of snaps from him 

Daequan Hardy is a nickel corner and great special teamer who could beat out Cam Lewis and Ja'Marcus Ingram for backup corner duties

Edefuan Ulofoshio has a chance to challenge Dorian Williams and Baylon Spector as the 3rd linebacker

DeWayne Carter could beat veterans Austin Johnson and Deshawn Williams for snaps in the DT rotation

Javon Solomon becomes the best homegrown pass rusher since the Bills drafted Bruce Smith in 1985.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, billsfan89 said:

Lots of interesting storylines the battles in camp are gonna be fun.

1- WR - Whose gonna emerge here? Shakir and Samuel should occupy 2 of the top 3 spots but that other WR “Top 3” spot is wide open as is the WR4 spot. Coleman, MVS, Hollins, and Claypool/Hamler will all be in the mix for those key spots. 

2- Center - McGovern is holding it down but will Van Pran get a hold of it and if so will they consider kicking McGovern back out to guard and Edwards to the bench/jumbo OT role again? Or does Van Pran need a year of seasoning? Will Alec Anderson or Clapp be in the mix as well? Lots to play out in that battle.

3- Ray Davis vs. Ty Johnson at RB2 is also very interesting to me. Davis is a good mid round pick but Ty produced well in a role last year. Good to have this be a battle for Cooks backup.

4- How much are they gonna use Knox and how will they use him. Two TE sets are gonna be aplenty in the offense but just how high are the gonna go percentage wise with two TE’s? Also will they use Knox as a full back and in other creative ways for some snaps here or there?

5- Rapp/Bishop is another quality battle. Rapp has a lot of starting experience including being on a Super Bowl winner with the Rams he also has a year in the Bills system. He has flaws as a player but is still a capable starter. Bishop is a high draft pick whose tools fit what the Bills like but he’s gonna have an adjustment period most likely. How quickly do they throw Bishop in the fire? Do they ease him into a role situationally or does he showcase enough to warrant heavy starter snaps out the gate?

Lots of other battles on the roster D-Line is a crowded field as well as is back up LB. Outside of a unproven WR core this team has a very good overall roster just have to hope they can piece together a good enough WR core and get the TE combo to be highly productive 

#1 yea , no kidding. I have no idea what to expect. But I do feel its Brady who knows what he needs from them.

#2 I think ya gotta stick with Connor this season and let the kid develop. Be very rude to yank McG after having him to commit his mind and body to play center

ps Dont count out Collins making the Team. Can play guard (His words ) Nice depth this season

#3 Ty did great job coming in. I did not realize how many pass yards he had. Very nice stats

Davis earns his way on cuz Ty returns as well and Bills are keeping those 3 active.

#4 This is my favorite question. I dont know or a good guess.

Kincaid is going to get plenty of attention after last season. Including getting roughed up by Defenses

I think you have to get the ball to Knox one way or another. Hoping Brady can scheme him open , and he doesn't drop the ball  LOL Is Quinten Morris still on the team ?

# 5 Didn't Bills bring a quality Safety in before the draft ? They will rotate Bishop in for sure. Since McD loves his DBs !

He might get ahead of Hamlin honestly in situations.

This year had best be about the Offense's successes

Defense just need to not fall apart in the big games. They have the players

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2024 at 1:43 PM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Which rookies will challenge veterans in training camp:

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger played 3 full college seasons at center and could beat out McGovern and send him back to left guard

Ray Davis is a better pass-blocker and has better hands than James Cook and could take a significant number of snaps from him 

Daequan Hardy is a nickel corner and great special teamer who could beat out Cam Lewis and Ja'Marcus Ingram for backup corner duties

Edefuan Ulofoshio has a chance to challenge Dorian Williams and Baylon Spector as the 3rd linebacker

DeWayne Carter could beat veterans Austin Johnson and Deshawn Williams for snaps in the DT rotation

I like all of these especially Ray Davis 

On 6/25/2024 at 9:57 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Other than a potential injury - i don't worry much about milano.  Guy works out a lot and will have likely taken his rehab very seriously.  And his instincts are off the chart, and thats what makes a LB great.  

Miller i think needs a camp, and a bit of competition.  He was limited all summer, started on PUP, and it was just a huge team distraction.  Then after his return it felt like he still wasn't ready, and just couldn't trust the knee.  I have a bit of faith in his return barring an injury - he looked a lot more dynamic towards the final couple of games (more than Floyd anyway), and I don't think he wants his career to end so abruptly.  

The problem is the extent of Milano’s injury is a well kept secret. A simple broken bone shouldn’t take this long and have him declared weeks away from being cleared for football activities. He will have to get real time action to see if he can be counted on. Does anyone really know if he has the speed and quickness that made an all pro? We need to see a little of that.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:18 PM, frostbitmic said:

Has McGovern been given the Center job or will he have to win it in TC ?

To me the move makes little sense. Last year they brought McGovern in to play LG and he was so much better than the stiff they had there the year before that. He played great next to Dawkins, so why mess with something that worked ?

Will Clapp - 21 NFL starts at Center

Van Pran-Granger - Started at Center for Georgia where he was a part of two Championships ... 2023 First team SEC, 2022 Second team SEC

Connor McGovern - Started one game at Center for Dallas due to injury. In college he was a RG as a Freshman, moved to Center as a Sophomore then back to RG as a Junior before going pro.

I guess I don't understand making two changes on the line when you only need to make one, unless McGovern is the best Center on the team.

We can't keep getting things wrong on McGovern. The dude views himself as a natural center. Performed really well at LG last season, and feels even better about sliding inside to the pivot. Obviously Beach Chairs agrees. And that's really the measure for me: is the team (coaches and management) making moves it WANTS to make? If so, we as fans should reasonably defer to their collective expertise. This was a sober, deliberate move to move on from Morse and replace him with McGovern. A little more beef up the middle.

Plus, McGovern's spot at LG is relatively easy to fill as far as OL positions go. The Bills saw an opportunity to get bigger, younger, and cheaper at OC and went for it. 

On 6/26/2024 at 12:44 PM, YattaOkasan said:

Joe Marino has hammered the point that the move on from Morse to McGovern was a choice.  Not something they had to do necessarily.  The interview was part of that logic, so i agree hes gonna feel good at center.  Interested to see what they do at guard cause McGovern and Morse are both smaller and that was maybe the only weakness running the ball.  If Edwards or Collins can help move DL with McGovern as part of combo blocks were gonna be so deadly in the run game.  Cook, Ray, Josh, Samuel, any other gadget player.  I think the idea is to force teams to put 7 in the box against us.

McGovern is at least 13 pounds BIGGER than the guy he's replacing. How is he then considered "smaller"? He's 3 lbs above the NFL average of 315 lbs for guards, and even bigger than that compared to centers.