Interesting Bills storylines to watch during training camp

3 hours ago, eball said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think McGovern to C is going to be a big deal.  We'll see.

I think we may miss Morse's leadership and acumen with line calls.  I thought physically, however, Morse was just an average center.  I'm hoping McGovern can be average too.

Weirdly, PFF named McGovern one of the 32 top guards coming into 2024, despite him being a C this year, and despite not grading him highly last season...

"McGovern earned a modest 55.4 PFF overall grade in his first season with the Bills in 2023, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. The former Cowboy allowed just 23 pressures across 695 pass-blocking snaps, and his 4.1% pressure rate allowed was a top-20 mark at the position.

He was an ever-present figure on the Bills’ offensive line, too, playing 1,135 snaps in the 2023 regular season, the sixth most among guards, and starting every game for the team. His 74.2 pass-blocking grade ranked 11th."

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think Bernard already played at a pro bowl level. 

More picks, recoveries, sacks, tackles, and better coverage rating than JOK (JOK beats him in FF 1v0, TFL 20v10, PBU 6v5).  Similar story with Demario Davis, more recoveries, tackles, picks, PBUs, and better coverage grade (rating of 80 is really incredible) with Demario having more FF (1v0 again), TFL (12v10) and same sacks (6.5).  Bernard also covers further down field than either player.  Don't get me started on Bobby Wagner who only had more tackles and TFL (11v10) that were better.  Would argue he played similar to Patrick Queen too.  

Basically I'm saying you story line should be does Bernard take the leap to ALL-PRO LB cause he pretty clearly has the stats to be in the PB but not the name recognition. 

Fair assessment it is a popularity contest In large regard. He certainly could have made it and no one would bat an eye. Let's hope he leaves them no doubt this year

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, eball said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think McGovern to C is going to be a big deal.  We'll see.

It may very well come down to which combination is looking better in camp and preseason:

McGovern (C) - Edwards (LG) vs VPG (C) - McGovern (LG)

Edited by ColoradoBills

Has McGovern been given the Center job or will he have to win it in TC ?

To me the move makes little sense. Last year they brought McGovern in to play LG and he was so much better than the stiff they had there the year before that. He played great next to Dawkins, so why mess with something that worked ?

Will Clapp - 21 NFL starts at Center

Van Pran-Granger - Started at Center for Georgia where he was a part of two Championships ... 2023 First team SEC, 2022 Second team SEC

Connor McGovern - Started one game at Center for Dallas due to injury. In college he was a RG as a Freshman, moved to Center as a Sophomore then back to RG as a Junior before going pro.

I guess I don't understand making two changes on the line when you only need to make one, unless McGovern is the best Center on the team.

There are really a whole bunch of potentially compelling stories.  Here are some of them I'm looking at:

The potential rebirth of Kaiir Elam

Which among the new receivers will show signs of stepping up?

Does a healthy Von Miller have anything left in the tank?

Does a rookie punter give the Bills the opportunity to boot the high priced veteran? 

Like every summer, which rookies turn out to be the real deal and which UDFAs make the team and show potential?

Is Daquan Jones back to 100%

Can the defense figure out how to produce sacks and turnovers at a top ten level in the league or better?

Can Bass rediscover his confidence and consistency?

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think we may miss Morse's leadership and acumen with line calls.  I thought physically, however, Morse was just an average center.  I'm hoping McGovern can be average too.

Weirdly, PFF named McGovern one of the 32 top guards coming into 2024, despite him being a C this year, and despite not grading him highly last season...

"McGovern earned a modest 55.4 PFF overall grade in his first season with the Bills in 2023, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. The former Cowboy allowed just 23 pressures across 695 pass-blocking snaps, and his 4.1% pressure rate allowed was a top-20 mark at the position.

He was an ever-present figure on the Bills’ offensive line, too, playing 1,135 snaps in the 2023 regular season, the sixth most among guards, and starting every game for the team. His 74.2 pass-blocking grade ranked 11th."

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It may very well come down to which combination is looking better in camp and preseason:

McGovern (C) - Edwards (RG) vs VPG (C) - McGovern (RG)

10 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Has McGovern been given the Center job or will he have to win it in TC ?

To me the move makes little sense. Last year they brought McGovern in to play LG and he was so much better than the stiff they had there the year before that. He played great next to Dawkins, so why mess with something that worked ?

Will Clapp - 21 NFL starts at Center

Van Pran-Granger - Started at Center for Georgia where he was a part of two Championships ... 2023 First team SEC, 2022 Second team SEC

Connor McGovern - Started one game at Center for Dallas due to injury. In college he was a RG as a Freshman, moved to Center as a Sophomore then back to RG as a Junior before going pro.

I guess I don't understand making two changes on the line when you only need to make one, unless McGovern is the best Center on the team.

Here’s a recent interview with McGovern; he doesn’t sound like a guy being asked to do something he’s not comfortable or confident about:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Connor McGovern is very happy to be going back to his roots this upcoming season as he makes the move on the offensive line from guard to center.

“I would say center is my natural position so it’s just going back home,” McGovern said.

McGovern says that his experience in the position dates back to when he played football in high school.

“Hard to believe, but I was actually undersized growing up in high school,” McGovern said. “I was always center because I was usually the smallest one and then once I hit my growth spurt, I just stayed at center. I went to Penn State at center, moved to guard, then went back to center and it was just always something natural. I always liked being the guy right in the middle, it was always comfortable to me.”

However, since he got drafted, McGovern has spent most of his time in the league as a guard. That is until the Bills released Mitch Morse this offseason, moving McGovern back to the position he knows best.

“I missed it a lot, honestly,” McGovern said. “I got drafted as a center originally and then a new coaching staff came in. I got moved to guard and always kind of seeked my way back to center every time something happened. I’d play a little bit then always went back to guard. Now officially I can move back to center permanently for right now, so I’m very happy.”

McGovern, now the “quarterback” of the Bills offensive line, surely understands the communication aspect of his new role.

“It’s the center’s job to make sure everyone’s on the same page,” McGovern said. “Last year, I helped Mitch a lot with the calls but at the end of the day it was his show to run and now it's mine and I just love that extra weight on my shoulders to do that.”

“Connor, at the leadership position of our offensive line, he’s the one that sets the table to call the huddle to really start the next play,” Bills head coach Sean McDermott said. “I think he’s done a nice job.”

McGovern and the rest of the team are now resting up before training camp kicks off on July 24 at St. John Fisher University.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

Here’s a recent interview with McGovern; he doesn’t sound like a guy being asked to do something he’s not comfortable or confident about:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Connor McGovern is very happy to be going back to his roots this upcoming season as he makes the move on the offensive line from guard to center.

Now officially I can move back to center permanently for right now, so I’m very happy.”

McGovern, now the “quarterback” of the Bills offensive line, surely understands the communication aspect of his new role.

“It’s the center’s job to make sure everyone’s on the same page,” McGovern said. “Last year, I helped Mitch a lot with the calls but at the end of the day it was his show to run and now it's mine and I just love that extra weight on my shoulders to do that.”

“Connor, at the leadership position of our offensive line, he’s the one that sets the table to call the huddle to really start the next play,” Bills head coach Sean McDermott said. “I think he’s done a nice job.”

Maybe I was wrong when I said we might miss Morse's line calls.  

He seems confident and while he doesn't say so directly, it seems like he feels he'll be a better center than guard.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe I was wrong when I said we might miss Morse's line calls.  

He seems confident and while he doesn't say so directly, it seems like he feels he'll be a better center than guard.  

Joe Marino has hammered the point that the move on from Morse to McGovern was a choice.  Not something they had to do necessarily.  The interview was part of that logic, so i agree hes gonna feel good at center.  Interested to see what they do at guard cause McGovern and Morse are both smaller and that was maybe the only weakness running the ball.  If Edwards or Collins can help move DL with McGovern as part of combo blocks were gonna be so deadly in the run game.  Cook, Ray, Josh, Samuel, any other gadget player.  I think the idea is to force teams to put 7 in the box against us.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/24/2024 at 8:17 PM, MJS said:

I say keep Milano and Von Miller wrapped in as much bubble tape as possible. Obviously, they'll need to get ready for football and get in football shape, but don't risk them unnecessarily. I wouldn't play either of them in preseason games.

I dunno about "bubble wrap", but I personally don't care how they look in preseason; bring them along slowly and shut them down if they're injured, I say.

We've seen that guy who looked fantastic in pre-season then lasted about 10 snaps into the regular season in the past

On 6/25/2024 at 12:52 PM, Don Otreply said:

I understand your trepidation with those two, but in all reality, like Aaron Rodger’s either of them could get injured in the first game of the season, so sprinkling them in during preseason really doesn’t create any more risk than the first game of the season, likely less chance as no one is playing all that hard in preseason, jmo. 

Preseason imho is about clearing up unknowns for the Coaches

Rookies first. New Fa next and injured from last year or on that list as well.

Got to get them all  on the field to take a looksee, 

and for the injured dudes? The also need to gain confidence. Miller comes to mind .

But to the OP

yea

all of that  ! and what our erudite posters included since then !

Favorite time of year is when hopes are high because we dont have a clue yet what Bills look like  lol

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno about "bubble wrap", but I personally don't care how they look in preseason; bring them along slowly and shut them down if they're injured, I say.

We've seen that guy who looked fantastic in pre-season then lasted about 10 snaps into the regular season in the past

That's why I say keep them in bubble wrap. We know what they are. We don't have anything else to learn about them.

On 6/25/2024 at 4:26 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Part of my gripe moving him to center. he was quite good by eye at LG working with Morse and  that guy at LT

Edwards might be as good there

But absolutely watching and hoping the Rookie shines

PS 

McG has a quote somewhere , that he is very familiar at Center and looking forward to it. 

sorry to Eball  did not finish the thread before I posted : (

Connor quotes

Edited by 3rdand12

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Part of my gripe moving him to center. he was quite good by eye at LG working with Morse and  that guy at LT

Edwards might be as good there

But absolutely watching and hoping the Rookie shines

PS 

McG has a quote somewhere , that he is very familiar at Center and looking forward to it. 

sorry to Eball  did not finish the thread before I posted : (

Connor quotes

McGovern was good at pass pro, not so much at run blocking.   He might turn out to be a better center.  

FWIW, Edwards had a higher PFF grade than McGovern last season.  In fact, he had a very strong 91.9 grade in the playoffs.

When I look at things through the rose tinted glasses of my fandom, I can see reasons to believe this OL might be better than last year's.  I really hope that turns out to be the case.  One of my biggest gripes about Beane is that he hasn't spent enough money and effort on the OL.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/27/2024 at 10:47 PM, hondo in seattle said:

McGovern was good at pass pro, not so much at run blocking.   He might turn out to be a better center.  

FWIW, Edwards had a higher PFF grade than McGovern last season.  In fact, he had a very strong 91.9 grade in the playoffs.

When I look at things through the rose tinted glasses of my fandom, I can see reasons to believe this OL might be better than last year's.  I really hope that turns out to be the case.  One of my biggest gripes about Beane is that he hasn't spent enough money and effort on the OL.  

Thanks for the positive outlook in Edwards.

I do agree that This O line , including depth might be the best we have seen. Last year was a big improvement and I feel they have raised the bar again with some of the players brought in.

Just read an article on Spencer Brown and pretty stoked about his stats last year. and his health.

L Collins is healthy too and has played guard.

I gots a feeling :)

• Like (+1) 2