Bills salary cap space update

57 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Somebody posted that once the season is over that the Bills are projected to be $53M under the cap. Is that accurate?

No way that is even close to being accurate.

Maybe whoever claimed that have included all the possible options that could increase the cap space.

Moves such as cutting Von Miller and restructuring every dollar from current contracts.

Also, at the end of the season the Bills will have way less than 51 players signed so that always throws off the cap $ amount.

Bills then have to think about re-signing/extending UFAs such as Spencer Brown.

Beane is in way better shape next season than he was this spring.  How much better, we will have to wait to see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Somebody posted that once the season is over that the Bills are projected to be $53M under the cap. Is that accurate?

No, Spotrac has us as $17M below the cap right now, but there will be moves made over the next few months, so that's a sort of preliminary idea based on little change happening.

But as they say, change happens.

ColoradoBills is on target above.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/24/2024 at 4:08 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Brown and Rousseau should be extended this summer.

Rousseau reminds me of Edmunds in the sense that he's good not elite and is going to get a massive contract, I kind of hope it's not from the Bills.  I would extend Brown.  

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, Spotrac has us as $17M below the cap right now, but there will be moves made over the next few months, so that's a sort of preliminary idea based on little change happening.

But as they say, change happens.

ColoradoBills is on target above.

Pretty sure Spotrac has us $17M *over* the cap right now.  Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't understand why everyone thinks we have a lot of cap space next year.  It's better than this year, but still 4th worst in the league.  

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:
9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

IDK. But this year Diggs counts for 31M, and zero next year. So maybe it's not that far off.

54 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

Rousseau reminds me of Edmunds in the sense that he's good not elite and is going to get a massive contract, I kind of hope it's not from the Bills.  I would extend Brown.  

Pretty sure Spotrac has us $17M *over* the cap right now.  Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't understand why everyone thinks we have a lot of cap space next year.  It's better than this year, but still 4th worst in the league.  

Yup, Rousseau is in the exact boat as Edmunds & Davis. Unless Groot can hit 10+ sacks, he's going to be politely allowed to test FA.  

On 6/24/2024 at 9:56 AM, Virgil said:

Best Available Free Agents as of 6/11/24:

WR

• Robbie Chosen

Let's get the Carolina band back together!

He had an out-of-this-world 31.5 yards per reception last year.

No hrainer.

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

Agree that Rousseau is likely to get way overpaid in free agency. 

Yes, OTC has the Bills $17M over the cap in 2025. They can get healthy in a hurry with a few moves - cutting Von Miller and restructuring Oliver, Dawkins and others. The big question is what they do with Allen’s contract. 

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agree that Rousseau is likely to get way overpaid in free agency. 

Yes, OTC has the Bills $17M over the cap in 2025. They can get healthy in a hurry with a few moves - cutting Von Miller and restructuring Oliver, Dawkins and others. The big question is what they do with Allen’s contract. 

We thought AJE was going to get paid and he didn’t

35 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We thought AJE was going to get paid and he didn’t

I never thought that. In fact the 2/$12M we are paying him is a substantial overpay IMO. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, Rousseau is in the exact boat as Edmunds & Davis. Unless Groot can hit 10+ sacks, he's going to be politely allowed to test FA.  

Guys! I don’t know why this bothers me so much. Rousseau is so much better than those two replaceable players. You don’t get better letting players like Rousseau walk. He's as solid as it gets. He’s not a premier pass rusher but he’s the perfect compliment. You don’t want to pay him as a premier pass rusher, those guys are getting $30 million.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Seems like a good time to trade the farm for Aiyuk.

I don’t see us trading for Aiyuk given the amount of guys they’ve brought in, but I did wonder if we would ever make Shakir available for such a player.   If so, I wouldn’t rule it out. 

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe whoever claimed that have included all the possible options that could increase the cap space.

Moves such as cutting Von Miller and restructuring every dollar from current contracts.

Also, at the end of the season the Bills will have way less than 51 players signed so that always throws off the cap $ amount.

Bills then have to think about re-signing/extending UFAs such as Spencer Brown.

Beane is in way better shape next season than he was this spring.  How much better, we will have to wait to see.

This plus no Diggs, 

Didn't you prove yourself wrong in your own post? LOL 

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Guys! I don’t know why this bothers me so much. Rousseau is so much better than those two replaceable players. You don’t get better letting players like Rousseau walk. He's as solid as it gets. He’s not a premier pass rusher but he’s the perfect compliment. You don’t want to pay him as a premier pass rusher, those guys are getting $30 million.

I agree with this. He is not Davis nor Edmunds. Clearly, Bernard stepped in, is the size of a corner and was more effective than Edmunds.

Gabe Davis did zilch down the stretch. 

Not every edge is a premier pass rusher, there are not many in the NFL. He is a solid DE and is still getting better. 

Edited by warrior9

3 hours ago, Doc said:

At $30M+/year? 

Yeah.  I'd give it to him as they'll have the space next year to give out at least one big free agent contract especially with the cap going up as quickly as it is.  I'd love to have Aiyuk, Coleman, and Kincaid as Josh's three main targets for the next four plus years while he's in his prime.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:22 AM, YattaOkasan said:

Edge is my biggest concern.  WR after that.  CB and Safety could also be considerations.  For the most part though I feel pretty good and wanna see what they have 

We only have 3 outside CBs! That’s nuts!

We only have 3 safeties! That is equally nuts!

it is almost a given we are going to run into very serious problems along the way in the secondary. At least the 3 CBs have some hope of being starters. The three safeties are all unknowns! We have no idea if our safeties are going to be any good or not.

Fans become so delusional every offseason….

42 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

We only have 3 outside CBs! That’s nuts!

We only have 3 safeties! That is equally nuts!

it is almost a given we are going to run into very serious problems along the way in the secondary. At least the 3 CBs have some hope of being starters. The three safeties are all unknowns! We have no idea if our safeties are going to be any good or not.

Fans become so delusional every offseason….

It's the same three CB's as last year in Benford, Douglas, and Elam.  Can Ja'Marcus Ingram step into the Dane Jackson role?  We have four true safeties (Rapp, Edwards, Bishop, Hamlin) competing for two stops and that's assuming Hyde isn't brought back.  All but Bishop have started before.  I wouldn't count out Cam Lewis being a break glass in case of emergency backup at the position either.  They may bring in a veteran at either position if the young guys don't step up in training camp.  I trust McDermott in evlauating and developing the secondary.  I'm not concerned with this secondary in the slightest.  WR and DE on the other hand......

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don’t see us trading for Aiyuk given the amount of guys they’ve brought in, but I did wonder if we would ever make Shakir available for such a player.   If so, I wouldn’t rule it out. 

I think the 49ers really don't want to let him go because he's a true #1 that opens the field up for them in the middle for guys like Samuel, Kittle, McCaffrey, and now Pearsall to feast.  It's more of a pipe dream on my part.