Climate Change

Great, we are burning up the planet

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/06/22/deadly-heat-wave-climate-change/

Dozens of bodies were discovered in Delhi during a two-day stretch this week when even sundown brought no relief from sweltering heat and humidity. Tourists died or went missing as the mercury surged in Greece. Hundreds of pilgrims perished before they could reach Islam’s holiest site, struck down by temperatures as high as 125 degrees.

Sign up for the Climate Coach newsletter and get advice for life on our changing planet, in your inbox every Tuesday.

The scorching heat across five continents in recent days, scientists say, provided yet more proof that human-caused global warming has so raised the baseline of normal temperatures that once-unthinkable catastrophes have become commonplace.

The suffering came despite predictions that a year-long surge of global heat might soon begin to wane. Instead, in the past seven days alone, billions felt heat with climate change-fueled intensity that broke more than 1,000 temperature records around the globe. Hundreds fell in the United States, where tens of millions of people across the Midwest and Eastern Seaboard have been sweltering amid one of the worst early-season heat waves in memory.

“It should be obvious that dangerous climate change is already upon us,” said Michael Wehner, a climate scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “People will die because of global warming on this very day.”

That much of this week’s heat unfolded after the dissipation of the El Niño weather pattern — which typically boosts global temperatures — shows how greenhouse gas pollution has pushed the planet into frightening new territory, researchers say. Scientists had expected this summer might be somewhat cooler than 2023, which was the hottest in the Northern Hemisphere in at least 2,000 years.

June is already all but sure to set a 13th-consecutive monthly global average temperature record, said Zeke Hausfather, a climate scientist who works for the payments company Stripe. Next month, he added, the planet could approach or surpass the highest global averages ever measured.

Whether the unyielding trend of record heat will ease soon, with an expected transition from El Niño to its cooler counterpart, La Niña, isn’t yet clear, scientists said. Scientists are also still analyzing individual extreme weather events to determine how much climate change influenced them, if at all.

What is obvious: the way humans have caused baseline temperatures to surge.

“We’ve got the highest greenhouse gas concentrations in the last 3 million years. Carbon dioxide traps heat, so the temperature of the planet is rising,” said Michael McPhaden, a senior scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “It’s real simple physics.”

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Entire narrative is to promote fear to garnish support for insane state spending on the green sector.  And power.  

Maybe we should be afraid of climate change and do something about it 

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Carbon sequestration would be at the top of the list  

Doing it today, but it is costly and has no commercial value.  Only done when gov't subsidies are in play.  I do like the idea of putting in liquid form at the bottom of the ocean, but holy crap that'll be expensive. 

Probably have to start by taking away everyone's social security so we can fund that effort.

Hey OP, are you b!tching to China and/or India about the carbon problem??

If you are only crying to us about this, you seriously need to STFU and stop moaning about it.

Humans have NO IMPACT on climate change whatsoever.

Grow up already. We have been hearing about this nonsense for 60 years.

Yeah, there is climate change. It’s called the four seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Doing it today, but it is costly and has no commercial value.  Only done when gov't subsidies are in play.  I do like the idea of putting in liquid form at the bottom of the ocean, but holy crap that'll be expensive. 

Probably have to start by taking away everyone's social security so we can fund that effort.

Since we are already paying for climate change, might as well figure out the cheapest, best way to deal with this before it gets too expensive. I mean orange juice and coffee are already more expensive 

https://fortune.com/2024/06/11/orange-juice-coffee-prices-climate-change-agriculture-breakfast/

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Humans have NO IMPACT on climate change whatsoever.

🤣

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Since we are already paying for climate change, might as well figure out the cheapest, best way to deal with this before it gets too expensive. I mean orange juice and coffee are already more expensive 

https://fortune.com/2024/06/11/orange-juice-coffee-prices-climate-change-agriculture-breakfast/

🤣

Do you use air conditioning?

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Do you use air conditioning?

Yes, and I drive a car, run a chainsaw, turn lights on and off, talk to morons like you on line--which uses power--and throw away food in the trash, which turns to methane gas, so what? 

34 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

“Everyone else…DO SOMETHING”

I drive down the street and see signs that say "Climate Action Now!" on front lawns. Of 4,000 sq ft natural gas heated homes with 2 zone AC, a built in pool with nat gas heat, and 3 big SUV's in the driveway. But you driving by reading my sign, you do something, now!

It was hotter in the 1930's than it is today. And then it wasn't. How do these "experts" know the cycle won't flip into a cooling trend regardless of CO2 levels? They don't. But if you want them to say its going to get cooler just pay them enough and they'll say it. Just like they say its going to get hotter. I'm sick and tired of "experts" telling me what I should and shouldn't do. How about I tell them what to do? F Off!

21 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I drive down the street and see signs that say "Climate Action Now!" on front lawns. Of 4,000 sq ft natural gas heated homes with 2 zone AC, a built in pool with nat gas heat, and 3 big SUV's in the driveway. But you driving by reading my sign, you do something, now!

It was hotter in the 1930's than it is today. And then it wasn't. How do these "experts" know the cycle won't flip into a cooling trend regardless of CO2 levels? They don't. But if you want them to say its going to get cooler just pay them enough and they'll say it. Just like they say its going to get hotter. I'm sick and tired of "experts" telling me what I should and shouldn't do. How about I tell them what to do? F Off!

MAGA logic, lol 

You hate those old experts, huh? You go to the doctor ever? 

52 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

MAGA logic, lol 

You hate those old experts, huh? You go to the doctor ever? 

My doctor doesn't claim to be a climate expert armed with a paltry 100 years or so of incomplete temperature data on a planet that's 4.5 billion years old peddling a simplistic cause/effect hypothesis of temperature variation insisting we take various actions without any evidence that any of them will do anything. 

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My doctor doesn't claim to be a climate expert armed with a paltry 100 years or so of incomplete temperature data on a planet that's 4.5 billion years old peddling a simplistic cause/effect hypothesis of temperature variation insisting we take various actions without any evidence that any of them will do anything. 

He is an expert on medicine, right? 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He is an expert on medicine, right? 

Let them keep their head shoved up their ass about it. That is where they keep it for everything else. ***** them!

• Thank you (+1) 1