If you could take ANY former Bills WR (not Diggs) and give him to Allen, who would it be?

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s funny, I obviously remember Moulds but he played in my media blind spot. He played during that time where I was gone from WNY and we were just starting to have the ability to follow a team from out of market. I wish I had seen more. 

I obviously remembered how physical he was, and how fast he was as a physical receiver, which is not as common. What I forgot was what great hands he had. I was just watching a highlight reel and was amazed at the number of times he hauled in an off target pass one handed before it became en vogue. Pair him with a legit QB in his prime and he would be in the HOF.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I really want to be clear about something:

I love Moulds!

I just think a lot of people are looking at former Bills WRs and aren't really considering the Allen aspect of this equation.

Thus far in his career, Allen is more of a "see WR open pass the ball" QB than an anticipation thrower. It's worked very well for him to this point because his GM has surrounded him primarily with WRs who could separate due to speed or route running: Smoke, Bease, Diggs, Sanders. Even Davis was a separator in the way he could stack CBs vertically and how he operated in the scramble drill.

Moulds was not a separator. He was tough as nails, had great hands, ball tracking ability and great open field vision

But separation wasn't one of his strengths. Go watch all the highlights of his time in Buffalo if you don't believe me.

That's the main reason I didn't go with him.

Now... the good news for everyone who chose Moulds is that in a lot of ways I think Coleman is very similar to what Moulds was, so we may get to see this in action. And I'm very excited about Coleman. Other than @HappyDays if you go back early in the draft process I think you'll find I was a very early defender of him as a stong prospect.

However, we are going to need to see either Allen throwing with a lot more anticipation/trusting his WR more or we're going to have to see Coleman really excel in his routes and gain more separation.

I have confidence one or both could happen. But for what I've watched in my 35 years of fandom I don't think there's a #1 WR who has separated from defenders in the way Stevie has.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

James Lofton, a burner with great hands and ironman toughness/durability, would be perfect for Allen and this offense.

Watching old Bills games from the 90s (too young to experience those years) Lofton was a beast. I never realized he was number 1 all time in reception yards at one point. Shoutout to Beebe to who made some tough deep catches down the side line and I think could take advantage of Allen’s arm strength. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

It's hard for me to consider TO when his prime was with another team.  Same with Lofton.  

For me, it's between Reed and Moulds.  And even though Reed is a HOFer, I think I'd go with Moulds.  Allen-to-Moulds would be a force to be reckoned with.  Moulds would end up in the HOF, too, if he stayed healthy and spent his career with Allen.  

• Like (+1) 3

Assuming Prime means their careers, regardless of team.

Lofton

Reed, TO, Moulds (in that order)

Chandler

Evans

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

James Lofton, a burner with great hands and ironman toughness/durability, would be perfect for Allen and this offense.

Beat me to it again bro'.  Lofton would be amazing with Josh.  Honorable mention to the Beebs.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2

Gotta go with Lofton here.  He led the league in YPR twice, posted 6 seasons of 1,000+, and finished his career with 764 catches for 14,004 yards and an 18.3 YPR avg.  His second season was close to 1,000 and he had another wedged in there where he got injured but would have had over 1,000.  

His QB in his five biggest seasons was Lynn Dickey.  His other 1,000 yard season was here with Kelly, at the age of 35, when he posted 57 catches for 1,072 yards, 8 TDs, and 18.8 YPR.  At 35.  

Dude was Gabe Davis with route running skills.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transient said:

In his prime... Terrell Owens.

Or Moulds... or Lofton... or Reed in no particular order.

Honorable mention to Lee Evans. Always curious what he could have done with a NFL caliber QB throwing to him.

Stevie was fine, but I'm tired of watching receivers drop passes (before anyone tries to call me out on TO, he made enough wow plays in his prime to more than make up for his oopsies). 

Not sure why anyone would say anyone but TO if we’re talking about “in their prime”.l

moulds was my guy, but I’ll take TO

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.