"You like movies about gladiators?"

Just now, LeGOATski said:

You're being very dramatic. Like the Anxiety character from Inside Out 2.

The Venn Diagram of folks who love Star Wars/Pixar and all movies made for audiences 20-30 years younger than them and the folks who go to Disney World multiple times per year without children is a circle.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Venn Diagram of folks who love Star Wars/Pixar and all movies made for audiences 20-30 years younger than them and the folks who go to Disney World multiple times per year without children is a circle.

To each their own, I guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The man wants to watch a remake. You've demonstrated my point. None of that long-winded scenario explains a lack of creativity in Hollywood.

I demonstrated my own point. The reason he wanted to watch a remake is because he was unimpressed with the original theme movies.

34 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I demonstrated my own point. The reason he wanted to watch a remake is because he was unimpressed with the original theme movies.

And?

So this one guy doesn't like the summer's movie options and that's supposed to represent the state of creativity in Hollywood.

Interesting point.

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

And?

So this one guy doesn't like the summer's movie options and that's supposed to represent the state of creativity in Hollywood.

Interesting point.

Look at the late '70s or early '80s. At least if you're into sci fi, it was a good time for original theme movies. You had the first Star Wars movie, and then Empire Strikes Back. You had the original Dune. Tron. That's rock solid content, at least for people who like that genre. It's a golden age, and people are thrilled to see original theme movies.

Fast forward a few decades. A person is looking at the new movies in the theater. He or she would love to be blown away by an original theme movie: something as good as the first Star Wars or Tron had been. But nothing in the theater looks remotely close to being able to do that. So instead he or she settles for a remake. Yes, this is definitely settling. Which is better: seeing the original Tron for the first time, or seeing Dune remake number three? Obviously Tron. Why is the guy in the earlier example watching Dune remake number three? Because he doesn't think any of the original theme movies available are going to make the same contribution Tron had made.

Why does this happen? I see two problems. 1) Stuff gets used up. The first time you see a particular plot twist, maybe you're intrigued. The tenth time you see that same plot twist, it's old hat. The more content that gets created, the more that new content is going to remind you of old content 2) Downgrade in Hollywood talent. A guy like George Lucas retires, and gets replaced with Kathleen Kennedy. Maybe Hollywood isn't as good as it could be, at identifying the next George Lucas.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Look at the late '70s or early '80s. At least if you're into sci fi, it was a good time for original theme movies. 

Had to stop right there. Interstellar? Arrival? Ad Astra? Annihilation? Dune (I had to include it even though it's a "remake" it's so far better than the original which barely even followed the books)? Everything Everywhere All At Once?

These are just recent films off the top of my head. If you're truly a sci fi fan, I can't imagine complaining about this era of movies. 

This is also an amazing time for horror fans.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:00 PM, LeGOATski said:

Interstellar? Arrival? Ad Astra? Annihilation? Dune (I had to include it even though it's a "remake" it's so far better than the original which barely even followed the books)? Everything Everywhere All At Once?

Interstellar is 10 yrs old so you've named 6 films over a 10 year stretch. That's not what I would consider a good era of sci fi.

My wife has Netflix, Prime, etc and scanning through them to find a good sci fi film is always a waste of my time.

It's now to the point that I literally only turn on my TV to watch football in the fall and college hoops in March.

58 minutes ago, Simon said:

Interstellar is 10 yrs old so you've named 6 films over a 10 year stretch. That's not what I would consider a good era of sci fi.

My wife has Netflix, Prime, etc and scanning through them to find a good sci fi film is always a waste of my time.

It's now to the point that I now only turn on my TV to watch football in the fall and college hoops in March.

Obviously that's not all the movies, it's just super easy ones I could name right away. And it's certainly not representative of everyone's taste. It's so subjective. The point is that great original movies are extremely easy to come by. They come out every year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Obviously that's not all the movies, it's just super easy ones I could name right away. And it's certainly not representative of everyone's taste. It's so subjective. The point is that great original movies are extremely easy to come by. They come out every year.

So easy, it was a movie from 10 years ago, 8 years ago, 6 years ago, and 5 years ago, along with a remake of an adaptation 

Honestly how can anyone say this era of movies is bad? The Departed came out in 2006!

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So easy, it was a movie from 10 years ago, 8 years ago, 6 years ago, and 5 years ago, along with a remake of an adaptation 

Honestly how can anyone say this era of movies is bad? The Departed came out in 2006!

.....and Everything Everywhere All At Once was 2 years ago. 

Dune 2 was this year.

I provided a super easy variety of original sci Fi movies spanning the last decade.

You're welcome.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:15 PM, FireChans said:

I think the stereotype of the Star Wars/Pixar audience is changing.  It's not just nerds or sci-fi geeks who openly like them now.

I have never seen a Star Wars but love all Pixar movies.   I went to Disney World once as a kid and will never go there again.  I don't think my son even has interest and he's 9.  I will watch Pixar movies when I'm not with my son.  I will go to a theatre to watch a good Pixar movie.  

I have several friends who are obsessed with Star Wars.  The Bills Bar by me is decorated with Bills memorabilia and Star Wars because the owner is obsessed with it.

These friends will go to the theatre multiple times to watch the new Star Wars or they go every time a theatre is showing the originals.  

None of the guys are nerds or sci-fi geeks and many of them are bad mother f******.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

.....and Everything Everywhere All At Once was 2 years ago. 

Dune 2 was this year.

I provided a super easy variety of original sci Fi movies spanning the last decade.

You're welcome.

1917 was an original?  That was a great movie.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1917 was an original?  That was a great movie.

There are tons. Every year. That's what I don't get. 

I only named sci-fi movies.

10 hours ago, Simon said:

Annihilation was also an adaptation.

And there are people out there who complain about the originality of Star Wars and Alien...those splintered off from the original Dune script. Hollywood couldn't get out of it's own way in order to make the original Dune. I guess creativity in Hollywood was really a problem in the 70s.............

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills Bar by me is decorated with Bills memorabilia and Star Wars because the owner is obsessed with it.

IMG_0128.thumb.gif.6b5a06965cbf4e4ce77defee68c448f5.gif

Sorry, couldn’t resist.….

15 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The point is that great original movies are extremely easy to come by. They come out every year.

Before this goes to PPP, I'll beat this dead horse until the plow heart stops beating.

I see @Simonis looking sci-fi but--w Prime, etc--there are gems beyond the genre that are brilliant.

Prime ex: American Fiction, 2023. Best movie I've seen in many years.

I fully understand the African-American lens around which it has been framed. But the film, ultimately, is a profound story of every family, ethical dilemmas, love lost/gained...and etc. Since this is not an Ebert review I'll leave it there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.