"You like movies about gladiators?"

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

All this tells me is that Hollywood is so creatively bankrupt. Gladiator 2?

As the Rolling Stone’s Keith Richard’s once said about “artist” stealing music for their songs, it’s because “They are bereft of talent “ 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

All this tells me is that Hollywood is so creatively bankrupt. Gladiator 2?

You don't think Ridley Scott wanted to continue the story?

He also continued with Alien.

Not sure what this has to do with Hollywood's creativity. Scott does whatever he wants at this point in his career.

To your point though, there are very creative and original films coming out constantly, so I never understand this narrative.

And then even if you consider remakes like Dune to be not creative, it's still an awesome movie.

Lack fo creativity in Hollywood is such a weird complaint that people parrot.

• Disagree 3

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not sure what this has to do with Hollywood's creativity. Scott does whatever he wants at this point in his career.

To your point though, there are very creative and original films coming out constantly, so I never understand this narrative.

And then even if you consider remakes like Dune to be not creative, it's still an awesome movie.

Because remakes, sequels, and reboots get massive budgets and advertising dollars and are an ever increasing percentage of Hollywood profits?

My favorite is when people act like this is a “weird complaint” when it’s just a fact lol.

In 1993, 2 of the top 20 highest grossing films were a remake, reboot, prequel, sequel or spin-off.

In 2013, it was 14.

in 2018, it was 16.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Because remakes, sequels, and reboots get massive budgets and advertising dollars and are an ever increasing percentage of Hollywood profits?

My favorite is when people act like this is a “weird complaint” when it’s just a fact lol.

In 1993, 2 of the top 20 highest grossing films were a remake, reboot, prequel, sequel or spin-off.

In 2013, it was 14.

in 2018, it was 16.

That simply means us, the consumers, are increasingly willing to pay for remakes.

Explain how that means there's a lack of creativity.

Edited by LeGOATski

15 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Pretty awesome our guy is doing these big things.  

Notice no Mahomes. Allen is so much more marketable. Well and the better qb. 

He's another Manning type to me. Funny and down to earth, but also doesn't mind the spotlight.

Mahomes is more of a bro.

Kinda douchey

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Maybe I'm just an old fart.  Or maybe I just love books more.  But I'm personally not parroting anyone when I complain about Hollywood and it's lack of creativity.  

I don't like super hero movies.  My family drags me into them and I fall asleep from boredom.  From my vantage point, there's nothing novel, creative, or interesting about them.  I wish Hollywood stopped spending hundreds of millions on silly superhero flicks and used that money instead on original, intelligent, dramatic stories.  

I rarely like franchises of any kind (though there are exceptions).  Once you've seen the premise, it's time to move onto a new story with a new premise.  How many times do you want to watch The Bourne Identity?  Personally, I was good with once.  

I can't remember the last movie experience I truly enjoyed.  I suppose it was the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Very rarely do I enjoy a movie more than the book(s) it was based on but I thought Jackson did a masterful job bringing Tolkien's imagination to the big screen.  

Btw, I loved Dune when I was a teen - read it 6 times.  Decades of life and thousands of books later, that's still my record.  Yet I was not enchanted with the recent Dune movie, sorry - though it was much better than the awful Lynch attempt.

I'm somewhat happy there's going to be a Gladiator 2 movie just because I want to see more historical dramas.  But why not an original story instead of a sequel to a movie where the main character dies?  Because tickets are sold with name recognition - "Gladiator"... Ridley Scott...  more big names to come. 

Original stories are risky and that's why Hollywood hardly makes them anymore.  Can you imagine someone trying to get funding for a hokey script about a barroom romance with an unhappy ending based on failed stage play.  Casablanca wouldn't get made today.  

I want Hollywood to make a movie about the Bills Super Bowl season.  But I guess we have to win one first. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

That simply means us, the consumers, are increasingly willing to pay for remakes.

Explain how that means there's a lack of creativity.

Okay fine. Hollywood makes more remakes because they appeal to the lowest common denominator of person who will still shell out $20 to oh and ah at a generic superhero movie or “I’ve heard of that” in the year 2024.

It’s the fans’ fault for being horrific tasteless slobs and Hollywood recognizes that they can just push remake garbage over and over and over and make money instead of being creative.

52 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Misleading thread title, and yes, I like movies about gladiators.

I didn't what to just call it. "Josh does another Pepsi ad." 

I made the connection to the Airplane quote because of what the commercial will be about 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.