Jessica Pegula Wins Berlin Open

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I agree with that. Is she the oldest?

Jessica is the oldest of Kim and Terry's kids. If memory serves, prior to Kim's health problems she was the one who had publicly alluded to someday being involved in the day-to-day dealings of the sports teams with her mother. Laura is older and has worked with Terry in his other business ventures prior to his owning the Bills and Sabres. I think he also has a son that is his oldest child, but you don't hear much about him.

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I feel it's density that the Bills win the Super Bowl next year and she wins her first Major.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I thought that reference would be lost on people but I figured "What the hell."

I would have got the reference, regardless... but it helps that it was posted by the inventor of the flux capacitor. :lol:

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Why? that’s not a dig at her, I just don’t know anything about her other than she’s good at tennis. 

This is a good question.

We really know nothing about her other than she is good at tennis. That doesn't mean someone will be a good owner (or a bad owner).

If driven people as owners/president meant successful teams then the Marlins would have been excellent for the past few years.

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

She's driven, competitive, and bright. Those are all excellent qualities that should transfer.

I mean, all hijinks aside, at least half the members of TBD fit that description. Driven, competitive, and smart must be the absolute minimum cost of entry to own a pro sports franchise successfully. I mean it makes for a good subplot for the eventual movie about the bills Super Bowl run but it sounds a bit like giving Damar the ball on a fake punt. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I mean, all hijinks aside, at least half the members of TBD fit that description. Driven, competitive, and smart must be the absolute minimum cost of entry to own a pro sports franchise successfully. I mean it makes for a good subplot for the eventual movie about the bills Super Bowl run but it sounds a bit like giving Damar the ball on a fake punt. 

No one actually knows how they will perform in a role until they are placed in a position that demands the performance of that role. This is nearly a tautology. Short of personal knowledge, the best anyone can do is surmise on the basis of public achievement. I think her persistence over time, and through injuries, is admirable. Further, her experience admits some existential awareness of the life of an athlete. It's your prerogative to consider all that relatively trivial, but then I suppose there's just not enough to offer a basis for conversation.

3 hours ago, Trev said:

Report back when she wins an American tournament. Europe doesn’t play tennis or do anything very well. 

She won the Citi Open in DC in 2019. I think it was her first title ever…and 6 of the top 10 players in the world are European, 2 are American (Gauff, Pegula), one from China, and one from Tunisia.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Terry has moved on wrt to the Bills future.  His other daughter is now handling and actually has ownership (about 1%) I read.   Jessica broke the family silence with her publication about her mom's medical condition and is on the "outs" w Terry is my read.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Terry has moved on wrt to the Bills future.  His other daughter is now handling and actually has ownership (about 1%) I read.   Jessica broke the family silence with her publication about her mom's medical condition and is on the "outs" w Terry is my read.

I don't think the latter is necessarily that, at all.  I doubt Jessica published her Player's Tribune piece without running it by the family.

Thing is, Laura has business executive experience and is available NOW while Jessica is still able to play tennis at a high level.

In the dynamics of "blended families", it's not uncommon for the kids of their first family to keep their distance from the 2nd wife, and perhaps not want to be involved in a business the 2nd wife is leading.  But, with the 2nd wife out of the picture, Laura may have expressed interest and willingness.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Is there any evidence of the bold? That sounds like quite a stretch. What is this based upon? Because her sister got a stake in the team? This is complicated stuff. I don’t recall any negative feedback after she wrote about her mother. I actually thought it was very well done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 6/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I'm guessing this is why she doesn't seem to be involved much with the Bills, despite some previous stories.  She's got something else going on.  Won the Berlin Open today.  Top Ten in the world for 100 weeks.  Currently ranked #5.  Representing the USA in the upcoming Olympics.

That pushed her up, Hondo.  I checked a couple of weeks ago because I was curious if she went/or how she played at the French Open.  She was at #8 then.

EDIT: @hondo in seattle

Jeepers, Hondo, she was at 5 for the Berlin Open, not after.  My bad.

Could she be a top four seed for Wimbledon?  We'll see.  Good for her.  Good for American tennis.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

That pushed her up, Hondo.  I checked a couple of weeks ago because I was curious if she went/or how she played at the French Open.  She was at #8 then.

EDIT: @hondo in seattle

Jeepers, Hondo, she was at 5 for the Berlin Open, not after.  My bad.

Could she be a top four seed for Wimbledon?  We'll see.  Good for her.  Good for American tennis.

I hate when the media calls her "The Billionairre Tennis Star," and things like that.  It's as if money bought her the success she's experienced.  I think her true story is one of perserverance.  She didn't have a lot of success early in her career, wasn't ranked high, suffered some injuries, and contemplated quitting.   Now she's top five, and has been as high as #3.  

It would be cool to see someone so connected with Buffalo and the Bills win Wimbledon.  She just won a grass so it's not unrealistic to hope.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

This is the fear everyone wants not to be true.  The possibility that the business executive type Laura - not Kim's offspring- now has "business influence".   The Bills had several years where it looked like cash wasn't an issue.  This year not so much.  We're operating a lot more like Cincy now than Philly.

It makes good marketing and business sense to wait until next year before the opening of the stadium to do your big signing.  The downside is that your WR room looks horrid for a year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.