I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

8 hours ago, Billl said:

That’s a myth.  Sports books don’t try to get the public to split their bets equally.  They hope that it happens that way, but that’s not how they set lines.  If they did, the professional gamblers would crush them.  Vegas thinks he’ll throw for 3700-3750 yards.  If the top actuarial minds really thought the number would be 4100, you’d have whales come in and place huge bets.

Yup.  Josh still throws for about 4100 yards last year if you project the seven regular season games to 17 under Brady.  The sharps are factoring in the loss of Diggs/Davis and the possibility of injury.

The problem with the Bills roster has remained the same over the last few years: the top end talent likely isn’t elite enough to get it done down the stretch. 

They’ve long been touted as being deep, having quality players and a good surrounding cast. Once again, as you see in the receiver room, they’ve opted to go with multiple good options while losing their most dynamic WR. 

I am not pessimistic on their chance this year, as we still have JA. I just believe due to the make up of the roster, he’d have to play at an elite level (which he is capable of) to carry the team all the way. I don’t think it’s sustainable. 

There is the possibility that one of the guys in house elivates to that elite level. I am not counting on it. They’re still a playoff team, but how far they go will rest solely on Allen’s play making ability 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

38 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The problem with the Bills roster has remained the same over the last few years: the top end talent likely isn’t elite enough to get it done down the stretch. 

They’ve long been touted as being deep, having quality players and a good surrounding cast. Once again, as you see in the receiver room, they’ve opted to go with multiple good options while losing their most dynamic WR. 

I am not pessimistic on their chance this year, as we still have JA. I just believe due to the make up of the roster, he’d have to play at an elite level (which he is capable of) to carry the team all the way. I don’t think it’s sustainable. 

There is the possibility that one of the guys in house elivates to that elite level. I am not counting on it. They’re still a playoff team, but how far they go will rest solely on Allen’s play making ability 

Agree. But I don't think they are as deep this year. Maybe that is understandable with the cap decisions they took in the spring to start over at some spots. But it is still a weaker roster to my eye. We didn't get better this offseason, hopefully though it sets us up to get better next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Isn’t this the case no matter what the rest of the team looks like?

I would’ve loved for us to trade our first 3 picks (Coleman, bishop, Carter ✌️) this year and a first rounder next year to trade up to 9 for Odunze because he’s a legit step in day one WR1 but I am also amped up to see Brady and his spread the ball around positionless system and if it really lets Josh play loose and at his best

My favorite attribute that our top receiving threats have (Shakir, Kincaid and Coleman) is solid hands. I don’t want to see a bunch of dumbass drops this year 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I keep mentioning it because being one and fired THREE TIMES as a coordinator is absolutely incredible regardless of any perceived context.   

But we got the context when we saw his offense in the first half of the 2018 season.   THE WORST scoring offense thru half of an NFL season since the AFL/NFL merger.  50 years of NFL football, dave.   

I love that all the Daboll apologists act like the teams that fired Daboll were oblivious to the lack of talent he had to work with and THAT is why he got fired.

It's not at all possible that they watched him work in person for a season and realized that his offensive philosophy, design, play calling and leadership didn't promise enough synergy to warrant a second chance.

“Perceived” context? C’mon. Actually look at the qbs he had to work with and come back to me. And also look at at the unit he had to work with in the first half of the 2018 season. In the first ten games, he had an incredibly raw Josh Allen for 4.5 of them and Peterman et al for the rest.

50 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

“Perceived” context? C’mon. Actually look at the qbs he had to work with and come back to me. And also look at at the unit he had to work with in the first half of the 2018 season. In the first ten games, he had an incredibly raw Josh Allen for 4.5 of them and Peterman et al for the rest.

Well some coaches can actually create synergy.   Daboll is not one of them.

Counting last season with NY his offenses have finished 29th or worst in scoring 5 times in 10 seasons.

And those offenses have finished in the top half of the league in yardage only TWICE.  Two for Ten.  And he needed a HOF quality talent at QB in Josh Allen to do that.  

He's just not that good, dave.   His failures are not a small sample size,  his successes are. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well some coaches can actually create synergy.   Daboll is not one of them.

Counting last season with NY his offenses have finished 29th or worst in scoring 5 times in 10 seasons.

And those offenses have finished in the top half of the league in yardage only TWICE.  Two for Ten.  And he needed a HOF quality talent at QB in Josh Allen to do that.  

He's just not that good, dave.   His failures are not a small sample size,  his successes are. 

I honestly don't have a dog in this fight, but I think Daboll is fine. Genius? Certainly not. But he's had to deal with an astoundingly outsized share of games helmed by terrible QBs. For instance, with a middle-of-the-road mediocre qb who played all season along with a mediocre offense overall in 2022, the Giants finished smack dab in the middle of the pack offensively. Bottom line: he's a decent-enough offensive coach (honestly, probably smarter than most, although smarts only get you so far) who, if given a good qb, can deliver good results. And with a bad QB/offensive roster, bad results. Like almost every other offensive coach in the league. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly don't have a dog in this fight, but I think Daboll is fine. Genius? Certainly not. But he's had to deal with an astoundingly outsized share of games helmed by terrible QBs. For instance, with a middle-of-the-road mediocre qb who played all season along with a mediocre offense overall in 2022, the Giants finished smack dab in the middle of the pack offensively. Bottom line: he's a decent-enough offensive coach (honestly, probably smarter than most, although smarts only get you so far) who, if given a good qb, can deliver good results. And with a bad QB/offensive roster, bad results. Like almost every other offensive coach in the league. 

Yeah and your lack of a strong point is probably because you don't have the conviction to actually analyze his work.   He's NOT a "decent-enough" coach.   He's either excellent or awful.   Nobody has made Daniel Jones look as good OR as awful.   His work with Josh Allen in 2020 and in the playoffs in 2021 looked great.   His work in the second half of the 2021 regular season with Allen was terrible and he probably would have been fired if that continued in the playoffs.   That's who he is.   His offense's are all about HIM........and he's not as smart as he thinks he is.   It was interesting to hear Joe Brady say the offense was Josh's........Daboll would never say that.

The same thing that happened to Andrew Luck in Indy (they never gave him the proper oline), is similar to what the Bills are doing to Allen (not addressing the receivers properly.) Hopefully he sprays the ball around to a bunch of guys who know how to get open, we'll just have to see. I think the big play downfield will be almost non-existent this year and they rely more on the mid range targets. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The same thing that happened to Andrew Luck in Indy (they never gave him the proper oline), is similar to what the Bills are doing to Allen (not addressing the receivers properly.) Hopefully he sprays the ball around to a bunch of guys who know how to get open, we'll just have to see. I think the big play downfield will be almost non-existent this year and they rely more on the mid range targets. 

i actually see this yr as the fully realized version of what the FO thinks is the Super Bowl recipe redux Carolina 2015...bunch of nobodies at WR, rely heavily on TE and your QB offensively, and hope the defense plays out of their minds

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup.  Josh still throws for about 4100 yards last year if you project the seven regular season games to 17 under Brady.  The sharps are factoring in the loss of Diggs/Davis and the possibility of injury.

Also the weather will be much better the first half of the season which will make 4000+ yards a certainty IMO if Allen stays healthy (knocking on wood).

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and your lack of a strong point is probably because you don't have the conviction to actually analyze his work.   He's NOT a "decent-enough" coach.   He's either excellent or awful.   Nobody has made Daniel Jones look as good OR as awful.   His work with Josh Allen in 2020 and in the playoffs in 2021 looked great.   His work in the second half of the 2021 regular season with Allen was terrible and he probably would have been fired if that continued in the playoffs.   That's who he is.   His offense's are all about HIM........and he's not as smart as he thinks he is.   It was interesting to hear Joe Brady say the offense was Josh's........Daboll would never say that.

You seem to have it in for him for whatever reason (given how much you post about him), which is ... interesting to me. But whatever. I stand by what I said. He's fine. He's better than Dorsey was for the Bills, and we'll see about Brady (who also was "bad" -- by your standards -- when he had a bad QB playing for him in Carolina). It's all about Josh Allen anyway.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You seem to have it in for him for whatever reason (given how much you post about him), which is ... interesting to me. But whatever. I stand by what I said. He's fine. He's better than Dorsey was for the Bills, and we'll see about Brady (who also was "bad" -- by your standards -- when he had a bad QB playing for him in Carolina). It's all about Josh Allen anyway.

Yeah someone would always say "I have it in" for Wade because I said he was an idiot for not wearing a headset so that he knew what plays his coordinators were calling...........or when I said that "coach of the year candidate" Dick Jauron would always be 7-9 because he coaches not to lose..........or that it didn't make sense for Buddy and Chan to use their entire first season to "evaluate personnel" before making any roster changes.........or citing that the only reason you would hire that many coaches is if you didn't want to do any work when Rex was trying to have a 1:1 coach/player ratio. 

The pattern is quite the opposite........I call it like it IS.......others like yourself in this case(for some reason) let totally unsupported personal feelings get in the way of good analysis.   

I get that some people were dumb enough to believe that Daboll made Josh Allen into a star QB.   That's because they didn't believe in his talent/ability from the get-go.  But you should know better than that.

Terrible takes by you in this thread, dave.   Need a nose-pinch emoji.

• Disagree 1

If Matt LaFleur gets another question about whether the Green Bay Packers have a true No. 1 receiver, the clean-up crew might have a mess to deal with in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"I want to vomit every time I hear 'No. 1 receiver,' to be honest with you," LaFleur said Monday. "It drives me crazy. That's something that you guys talk about. I feel like we've got a bunch of 'em."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, GoBills808 said:

i actually see this yr as the fully realized version of what the FO thinks is the Super Bowl recipe redux Carolina 2015...bunch of nobodies at WR, rely heavily on TE and your QB offensively, and hope the defense plays out of their minds

They massacred our boy just like they did with Cam

Speedster with stone hands - Ted Ginn Jr - MVS

Bigger contested catch guy - Devin Funchess - Coleman

Good TE - 7th Floor Crew Greg - Kincaid

I bet Beano gets a wistful look in his eye when he remembers that team getting massacred by the Broncos defense and not being able to outscore the rotting corpse of Peyton Manning. Those were the good old days.

Edited by FireChans

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I bet Beano gets a wistful look in his eye when he remembers that team getting massacred by the Broncos defense and not being able to outscore the rotting corpse of Peyton Manning. Those were the good old days.

What’s your name? G - reg 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Its a dinosaur of a template but I see a lot of similarities 

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Come on.

Pick 3 players out of a 53 man roster and then say we built similarly?

Carolina also built a strong offensive line with Ryan Khalil, Andrew Norwell and Trai Turner.  These were consistent All Pros and Pro Bowlers.

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Come on.

Pick 3 players out of a 53 man roster and then say we built similarly?

Carolina also built a strong offensive line with Ryan Khalil, Andrew Norwell and Trai Turner.  These were consistent All Pros and Pro Bowlers.

That would support we built a worse version of the 2015 Panthers.