I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

MVS is the only true field stretcher on the roster though, and his salary is fully guaranteed. For those 2-3 practices where he wasn't with the 1s at all I wondered if he would be the first guaranteed signing since OJ Howard to manage to lose his roster spot, but now that he's firmly back in with the starters I am back to thinking he is a roster lock. He has a set role in the offense as a field stretcher, and while he may represent the bare minimum that you can get out of that role it is a necessary role and no one else on the roster is even ostensibly competing against him for it.

Hamler I think is a PS lock. He'll be our emergency call up if Samuel ever gets injured. Sounds like Hardy is winning the kick return job and has shown enough on defense to warrant a spot on the roster, so that leaves Hamler as a redundant player.

A lot of good points being made in the last couple pages, and your’s is a reasonably take. I’m very reticent to use that word “lock” beyond the obvious three, though. 

Edited by Rocky Landing

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yea, it's extraordinary that on a Buffalo Bills message board Bills fans, like almost every other fan-base in America, are positive and excited about a team with an elite QB that has gone to the playoffs 5 straight years and won 4 straight division titles.  I just don't get it when there are so many reasons to be negative and miserable.

It only becomes an issue when people can’t separate their unbridled optimism from reality.  60% of this board thinks McDermott should be fired.  That’s ridiculous given the fact that he’s the second winningest coach in the NFL the past 5 seasons.

It starts to make sense when you realize that the same people who want him fired think Curtis Samuel and a rookie Keon Coleman are better weapons than Diggs and Davis (who produced 2000 yards and 15 TDs last season).  If the passing game struggles, people are going to wonder how McDermott could allow this to happen when he was given “better weapons” at WR to work with.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

The defense allowed 0.27 YPA more in 2023 than 2022.  And it lost their best LB for 75% of the season.

Always an explanation.  It also gained a couple of LBs that stepped up.  

2022:  5th in YPG, 14th in YPC 

2023:  `5th in YPG, 28th in YPC 

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

They will go with 6.

Coleman

Samuels

Shakir

Hollins

MVS 

The last spot between Coleman and Shavers.

MVS makes it because he is the best field stretcher of the bunch.

Did you mean Shorter and Shavers?

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think people are conflating Hollins being a roster lock with him being WR4.   He and MVS are well past their primes so neither are likely to be huge contributors in the passing game, IMO but MVS is likely to get more targets so he's WR4 in that regard.    

REALLY terrible performance from the WR corps as a whole Friday night.  Weren't even any Jake Kumerow's out there dominating with the knowledge that they weren't actually going to get hit.   Just guys dropping passes when open and otherwise being covered.  

We will hopefully see if Shavers is anywhere close to playable during the preseason when he's contested and has to catch passes "NFL open".   Haven't really seen any of that the past two camps.  Right now I see them just keeping 5.    And if they had a guy like Aiyuk or Metcalf they might only need 4.   

Yea keeping 5 is a real possibility IMO. I think they have more promising young fliers in other spots. Using 6 om receivers jusy to have 6 wouldn't be smart for me. 

Worrying reports from Friday. Guessing you were at the stadium?

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I seem to remember Dean Kindig talking Hamler up a couple times. But it’s hard to sift through all the narratives, and 12 second highlight shots. Even the “experts” have biases this time of year. 

But I think @BADOLBILZ above is right. There has been an assumption on this site that they’re carrying six WRs. But at some point, adding yet another 6’4”+ receiver is just redundant (on a team that really can’t afford redundancy).

Hamler has been almost exclusively with the 2s and 3s I believe. Honestly don't think he has any shot unless he emerges as their returner. 

I agree on the assumption about six. I don't think that has to hold at all. I'd rather been Kinglsey Jonathan and Javon Solomon than any of the options for receiver 5 and 6.

40 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Always an explanation.  It also gained a couple of LBs that stepped up.  

2022:  5th in YPG, 14th in YPC 

2023:  `5th in YPG, 28th in YPC

Milano was a huge loss.  If he had played the whole season...

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Milano was a huge loss.  If he had played the whole season...

Your leapfrogging. 

Bernard stepped big-time too.

Those arguing this can't have it both ways.  

1 hour ago, Billl said:

It only becomes an issue when people can’t separate their unbridled optimism from reality.  60% of this board thinks McDermott should be fired.  That’s ridiculous given the fact that he’s the second winningest coach in the NFL the past 5 seasons.

It starts to make sense when you realize that the same people who want him fired think Curtis Samuel and a rookie Keon Coleman are better weapons than Diggs and Davis (who produced 2000 yards and 15 TDs last season).  If the passing game struggles, people are going to wonder how McDermott could allow this to happen when he was given “better weapons” at WR to work with.

You are grossly overgeneralizing here.  Again, I think it's pretty damn weird that a Bills fan can be libeled a "homer" on TWO BILLS DIVE for being optimistic about the WR group this season.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Ya know, I feel very sorry for people that only see two options in contexts like this.  

Homerism vs. misery/negativity.

It actually explains a lot about the world we live in.  

You're the one calling people "homers" on TWO BILLS DRIVE.  Seems like you're staking out the extreme position here.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You are grossly overgeneralizing here.  Again, I think it's pretty damn weird that a Bills fan can be libeled a "homer" on TWO BILLS DIVE for being optimistic about the WR group this season.

You're the one calling people "homers" on TWO BILLS DRIVE.  Seems like you're staking out the extreme position here.

Those 2 simply are trolling or they get chubby off arguing. 

• Agree 3

50 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Your leapfrogging. 

Bernard stepped big-time too.

Those arguing this can't have it both ways.  

Bernard was replacing Edmunds though. They didn't get close to replacing Milano's production. Ty Dodson did a fine job. But he wasn't close to a healthy Milano.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

I agree with this. There isna section of this board has been guily of over valuing our talent and under valuing the job our coaching staff has done. And since 13 seconds - which was a coaching failure - a group has totally attached themselves to that narrative and it is hard for them to come off it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea keeping 5 is a real possibility IMO. I think they have more promising young fliers in other spots. Using 6 om receivers jusy to have 6 wouldn't be smart for me. 

Worrying reports from Friday. Guessing you were at the stadium?

Hamler has been almost exclusively with the 2s and 3s I believe. Honestly don't think he has any shot unless he emerges as their returner. 

I agree on the assumption about six. I don't think that has to hold at all. I'd rather been Kinglsey Jonathan and Javon Solomon than any of the options for receiver 5 and 6.

Yeah I was there.   The atmosphere is a bit more like a real game than SJF practices so the intensity is up and you get a little better read on how players match up.   You could also see the defense is getting better at defending the tight formations and 2 TE looks as well.    The receivers were terrible.   The TE's were good.   

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I was there.   The atmosphere is a bit more like a real game than SJF practices so the intensity is up and you get a little better read on how players match up.   You could also see the defense is getting better at defending the tight formations and 2 TE looks as well.    The receivers were terrible.   The TE's were good.   

That is more than I will get from Sal in the morning. He had an accident in his pants over Josh's black helmet live on radio on Friday. 

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bernard was replacing Edmunds though. They didn't get close to replacing Milano's production. Ty Dodson did a fine job. But he wasn't close to a healthy Milano.

I agree with this. There isna section of this board has been guily of over valuing our talent and under valuing the job our coaching staff has done. And since 13 seconds - which was a coaching failure - a group has totally attached themselves to that narrative and it is hard for them to come off it. 

lol

i have the guy you quoted in agreement on ignore and for good reason- the people who think the wideouts aren't good enough are generally also the people who think the hc isnt. so as is his chiefs trolldom wont he once again completely misses the mark

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

lol

i have the guy you quoted in agreement on ignore and for good reason- the people who think the wideouts aren't good enough are generally also the people who think the hc isnt. so as is his chiefs trolldom wont he once again completely misses the mark

I wasn't talking about you. You think both are inadequate. You were not the subject of the post.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

LOL  

You've gotta love how the personally directed stuff starts with simple nonspecifically directed factual observations.  

What I said was that our run D would get worse, which it did, significantly.  Granted, it didn't seem to be much of an issue.  

But since you're brought it up, isn't it also funny how McD claims that our offense needs to be more run heavy and that's how games are won, but on the defensive side he does the opposite?  

Again, if those are the only two options, ... could be you, or the people suggesting that.  

;) 

BTW, those types of arguments are akin to playground tantrum of young children.  

What's even more hilarious is the one's going overboard in the fall and at season's end will be those thinking that Coleman's going to have some kind of monster rookie season, that Davis is going to do much more than Singletary or Moss ever did.  How Samuel's going to replicate his best of his seven seasons.  etc.  

Apparently then it's just fine to be over the top negative and pessimistic.  LOL  

Honestly, forums are the best little microcosms of human nature.  

Grow up dude.  Stop trying to spin everything.  I never said those were the options.  Dude made a comment that we are homers.  Your life revolves around endless winding arguments on here. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Grow up dude.  Stop trying to spin everything.  I never said those were the options.  Dude made a comment that we are homers.  Your life revolves around endless winding arguments on here. 

That’s why I use my “manual ignore” skills. Some people just live for the argument, regardless. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I seem to remember Dean Kindig talking Hamler up a couple times. But it’s hard to sift through all the narratives, and 12 second highlight shots. Even the “experts” have biases this time of year. 

But I think @BADOLBILZ above is right. There has been an assumption on this site that they’re carrying six WRs. But at some point, adding yet another 6’4”+ receiver is just redundant (on a team that really can’t afford redundancy).

You might be thinking of me- I was talking up hamler - thought be balled in the practices I went to - havent seen anyone mention him in the media.  I'm hoping he makes it as returner bc I think he can be a legitimate depth receiver

36 minutes ago, stevewin said:

You might be thinking of me- I was talking up hamler - thought be balled in the practices I went to - havent seen anyone mention him in the media.  I'm hoping he makes it as returner bc I think he can be a legitimate depth receiver

He'd have to be incredible in preseason to justify a roster spot.  Otherwise no way a GM with any common sense gives someone with that injury history 17 guaranteed game day checks by having him on the roster in week 1.