I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

“Just attention to detail,” Allen said when asked what has impressed him. “His football IQ, in my opinion, is off the charts. He understands defenses, he understands leverage when he’s running routes. The catch radius that he has, you can just throw one up and he’s gonna find a way to either go get it or break it up like we saw (Thursday).

“I love the guy. He’s making things personal, going out there and blocking hard, and he’s doing things the right way. He’s making plays in camp, and we’re building that chemistry on the field right now. And I think that off the field we’ve got a very good thing going, too.”

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

“Just attention to detail,” Allen said when asked what has impressed him. “His football IQ, in my opinion, is off the charts. He understands defenses, he understands leverage when he’s running routes. The catch radius that he has, you can just throw one up and he’s gonna find a way to either go get it or break it up like we saw (Thursday).

“I love the guy. He’s making things personal, going out there and blocking hard, and he’s doing things the right way. He’s making plays in camp, and we’re building that chemistry on the field right now. And I think that off the field we’ve got a very good thing going, too.”

Coleman?

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2024 at 1:15 AM, Rocky Landing said:

If Hollins, and Shavers are above MVS on the depth chart, I can't imagine what kind of value he would have. In a competition for a #6WR, I'd think they'd be looking for someone who a) played ST, b) would be seen as a younger developmental prospect, and c) could fill a more unique role. MVS doesn't offer any of that, and he'd be pretty redundant behind Coleman/Hollins/Shavers. And literally every other WR on the roster offers at least one of a, b, or c.

How the hell is Shavers better than anyone?  He hasn’t played an NFL snap.  Go with MVS Claypool Shakir Hollins Samuel Coleman, and put Shavers and Hamler on the practice squad and let’s get the party started.  MVS is an NFL WR.  He has made big catches.  He has length and speed.  Enough said. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

How the hell is Shavers better than anyone?  He hasn’t played an NFL snap.  Go with MVS Claypool Shakir Hollins Samuel Coleman, and put Shavers and Hamler on the practice squad and let’s get the party started.  MVS is an NFL WR.  He has made big catches.  He has length and speed.  Enough said. 

By this logic you’d never have a rookie on an NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Maybe he was coached up? Put in hard work in offseason? 

You're acting like they pulled him from the McDonalds drive thru and threw him on the field. 

Dude has a bunch of attributes that equates to being a good WR

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

When it comes down to WR #5, or #6, they are going to need to fill specific roles. If they carry six WRs, it's not necessarily going to be the best six WRs. It's going to be the six WRs that best fill out the WR corps. I submit that as a #5, or lower WR, MVS has little value, as he doesn't play ST, is not a developmental prospect, and has a skillset that would be considered redundant alongside Coleman, and Hollins. MVS certainly has time to work his way up the depth chart. But at the moment, it would appear that Hollins is above him, and it's entirely plausible that Shavers has passed him as well, just  from the reports that we have seen from TC. And why, with MVS's dismal catch %, and drop rate, would that be a surprise?

15 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

No just realistic talk and not fairy tales

Realistically, what we are seeing in camp so far is that Brady is using formations to free guys up, that Coleman has really good hands, that Samuel is going to be used in a variety of ways, and guys like Shavers are busting their butt to make the team.

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

When it comes down to WR #5, or #6, they are going to need to fill specific roles. If they carry six WRs, it's not necessarily going to be the best six WRs. It's going to be the six WRs that best fill out the WR corps. I submit that as a #5, or lower WR, MVS has little value, as he doesn't play ST, is not a developmental prospect, and has a skillset that would be considered redundant alongside Coleman, and Hollins. MVS certainly has time to work his way up the depth chart. But at the moment, it would appear that Hollins is above him, and it's entirely plausible that Shavers has passed him as well, just  from the reports that we have seen from TC. And why, with MVS's dismal catch %, and drop rate, would that be a surprise?

Does sounds like MVS has rebounded a bit week two of camp and has been back with the ones more after finding himself marooned with the twos at the end of week one. So that does bear watching. 

I do generally agree with your point though. WRs 5 and 6 have to contribute on teams. MVS doesn't. Now my guess is Hollins will play a fair amount of teams even as essentially WR4. Whether that changes the calculation I'm not sure. My instinct at the moment is both MVS and Shavers make it as WRs 5 and 6 behind the top 4. Reason being I don't see anyone else they won't be able to PS if they want to. But pre-season games might alter that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

You prefer 7th grade level whining and endless negativity?  

That is strong also

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Does sounds like MVS has rebounded a bit week two of camp and has been back with the ones more after finding himself marooned with the twos at the end of week one. So that does bear watching. 

I do generally agree with your point though. WRs 5 and 6 have to contribute on teams. MVS doesn't. Now my guess is Hollins will play a fair amount of teams even as essentially WR4. Whether that changes the calculation I'm not sure. My instinct at the moment is both MVS and Shavers make it as WRs 5 and 6 behind the top 4. Reason being I don't see anyone else they won't be able to PS if they want to. But pre-season games might alter that. 

I think we put too much emphasis on each training camp day and report, LOL.   However it sounds like Shavers is getting enough work with the ones that it is plausible he makes it.  That would leave MVS as expendable, but the contract is guaranteed, at this point he is a potential trade candidate like OJ Howard or he stays on the team an provides depth.  I think Shavers brings more to the table for special teams vs MVS.

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

No just realistic talk and not fairy tales

I like fairy tales, realistic talk is so yesterday,

I am going to try to do my comparison between the last 8 games of last year and this teams ability to throw and catch:

Coleman is already a more reliable Gabe Davis. 

Shakir should be slightly better than last year. Doot should be slightly better than last year.

Knox should be equal.

Cook should be equal, but has a good chance of being more reliable. 

So my question is how much different is Samuels vs Diggs? Diggs was not impressive down the stretch and was actually poor in the KC game. With the different usage I think/hope that Samuels will be as similarly effective. 

If MVS/Claypool/Hollins is above average our overall core is equal to last year, just more spread out. 

A stat I did not realize till writing this is that no one last year caught more than 150 yards that I did not name. 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is strong also

I think we put too much emphasis on each training camp day and report, LOL.   However it sounds like Shavers is getting enough work with the ones that it is plausible he makes it.  That would leave MVS as expendable, but the contract is guaranteed, at this point he is a potential trade candidate like OJ Howard or he stays on the team an provides depth.  I think Shavers brings more to the table for special teams vs MVS.

Expendable for who though? That is kind of where I am. If this was a straight Shavers v MVS then I'd be absolutely it is Shavers because of teams. I don't think it is though. It is more like Shavers and MVS vs only keeping 5 receivers. Claypool was inconsistent the few days he was out there then got hurt. Shorter has been invisible. Hamler and Isabella likewise. Maybe they do keep only 5 but if they do that it will because they are confident sneaking other guys through to the PS.

• Agree 1