I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

On 7/26/2024 at 12:56 PM, GunnerBill said:

It is a simple fact that we don't have anyone who is proven beyond #3 type production. I will leave Kincaid aside for a second because I was talking specifically about wide receivers. I am just not as optimistic as you are on either Keon or, to a lesser extent, Shakir who I do think can be very good but you have to be elite to be a difference maker at slot and I am not sure he is that. 

I think the Bills will have enough to move the ball. But they have objectively on paper one of the worst receiver groups in the league going into the season. It will come down to Josh and Joe to maximise what they have.

I get this.  When you look at the resumes of our wideouts, they're pretty weak compared to the CVs of the WRs on the better teams.    

But I think there may be reasons to be optimistic when you look at skill set, potential, and context.

When you consider the backs and TEs as well as the wideouts, there's enough talent there for Brady to work with.  We've got size, speed, catch radius, hands, and versatility in that group.  

I was NOT impressed with Brady's gig as an OC last year.  But when I listen to him talk during the offseason, and when I listen to players and coaches talk about him, I'm encouraged.  One thing that stands out to me is how often I've heard people say he's collaborative and likes to take suggestions from coaches and players.  Apparently, he does this much more than Dorsey did.  And it's a good trait because Brady might not be the smartest, most experienced coordinator in the NFL but the collective wisdom of Brady, his position coaches, and players is impressive if he can harness it.

Finally, I'm optimistic because Josh Allen is our QB.  He's going to make one of these receivers a star.  Maybe more than one.

I'm not convinced it'll all work out.  There's a lot of uncertainty and I can see why the pessimists worry.  But I'm nervously, cautiously expecting a passing attack that's at least as potent as last year's and maybe more.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get this.  When you look at the resumes of our wideouts, they're pretty weak compared to the CVs of the WRs on the better teams.    

But I think there may be reasons to be optimistic when you look at skill set, potential, and context.

When you consider the backs and TEs as well as the wideouts, there's enough talent there for Brady to work with.  We've got size, speed, catch radius, hands, and versatility in that group.  

I was NOT impressed with Brady's gig as an OC last year.  But when I listen to him talk during the offseason, and when I listen to players and coaches talk about him, I'm encouraged.  One thing that stands out to me is how often I've heard people say he's collaborative and likes to take suggestions from coaches and players.  Apparently, he does this much more than Dorsey did.  And it's a good trait because Brady might not be the smartest, most experienced coordinator in the NFL but the collective wisdom of Brady, his position coaches, and players is impressive if he can harness it.

Finally, I'm optimistic because Josh Allen is our QB.  He's going to make one of these receivers a star.  Maybe more than one.

I'm not convinced it'll all work out.  There's a lot of uncertainty and I can see why the pessimists worry.  But I'm nervously, cautiously expecting a passing attack that's at least as potent as last year's and maybe more.  

Exactly. 

I totally understand ppl being pessimistic,  there is alot of unknowns in the WR group but as a whole I think this very well could be the most complete,  well rounded O Josh has had. 

We have 1 of the best TE trios and the rushing attack should be more dynamic.  

And through 4 TC practices I'm loving what Brady is doing with heavy motions and creating mismatches. 

I think our WR core will truly live up to the everybody eats motto and depending on our opposing defense,  guys will have big games, Brady will implement a gameplan based on the weekly matchups 

Still optimistic Keon becomes a true #1 , which will elevate the group to a whole different level, even if he starts slow (no pun intended), they'll be just fine because of the depth. Love the potential versatility 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Where?

Cuz I don't think it will be in Buffalo.

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Those 3 likely see a similar amount of playing time

MVS, Hollins  rotating in regularly 

Everyone else fighting to make roster 

MVS has been a very good playoff performer for KC.   Something the Bills haven't really had at WR other than 1 game

Edited by Warriorspikes51

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Samuel

Shakir

Coleman

Those 3 likely see a similar amount of playing time

MVS, Hollins  rotating in regularly 

Everyone else fighting to make roster 

MVS has been a very good playoff performer for KC.   Something the Bills haven't really had at WR other than 1 game

No he hasn't.  Why do people just say stuff.  In his 4 playoff years totaling 11 games played, he averages 2.18 rec per game.  Has he had a couple big catches sure, but so did David Tyree and he didn't make his Super Bowl winning teams roster the next year either...just like MVS.  But to say he has been a "very good" playoff performer as if 2.18 rec per game cements him as our WR4 is just over the top.  He has had Rodgers and Mahomes...both teams moved on...never broke out for either team, literally lost KC games last year with drops.    

Hollins has a firm grasp on WR4 right now...MVS and Claypool can still battle him for a role in this team, but it will not be easy to overtake Hollins right now.  And quite frankly Tyrell has impressed the coaches all offseason and his bid for the 53 is a legit possibility too right now and is now a threat to both MVS and Claypools bids for a roster spot.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/27/2024 at 9:59 PM, JerseyBills said:

So frustrating listening to WFAN and ESPNyc , everyday propping up the Jests and constantly disrespecting the Bills. 

Bart Scott literally said we lost our best defender in Jordan Poyer on Mon or Tues, unfortunately I couldn't get on to school him n had to go back to work. 

They also stay disrespecting the weapons on O, which I obviously disagree with. Love hearing about the motion n different looks so far in TC, I'll say it again,  this will be the most well rounded and unpredictable weekly O 17 has had

this is surely our hope Jersey :)

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have to be optimistic

Being a Bills fan for so dang long ? I have to be cautious in my enthusiasm.

its fg training camp geez. Wait till preseason to reach hard conclusions please 

lol

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No he hasn't.  Why do people just say stuff.  In his 4 playoff years totaling 11 games played, he averages 2.18 rec per game.  Has he had a couple big catches sure, but to say he has been a "very good" playoff performer as if 2.18 rec per game cements him as our WR4 is just over the top.  

Hollins has a firm grasp on WR4 right now...MVS and Claypool can still battle him for a role in this team, but it will not be easy to overtake Hollins right now.  And quite frankly Tyrell has impressed the coaches all offseason and his bid for the 53 is a legit possibility too right now and is now a threat to both MVS and Claypools bids for a roster spot.   

Based on camp reports, the WR battle is more interesting than I thought it would be.

Then again, camp reports are just camp reports.  Last year, we heard a lot of good stuff about Sherfield during camp and he was a non-factor during the season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Based on camp reports, the WR battle is more interesting than I thought it would be.

Then again, camp reports are just camp reports.  Last year, we heard a lot of good stuff about Sherfield during camp and he was a non-factor during the season.  

That was a huge disappointment, I thought Sherfield would have an impact, quite the opposite though.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is also true...and always true TBH...however, the things that makes the buzz on Tyrell stand out as more interesting is 2 fold:

• It isn't so much camp reports, he is getting specifically mentioned and praised by Beane, the coaches, and Allen.
  • And they are backing that up by giving him snaps with the first unit even though we have no injuries to open up those reps.  He is getting them because they feel he has earned him.  That is a big sign of his stock rising because while every camp someone makes some plays or gets some observer buzz, its not very often that person is going on to see first team reps, often not even 2nd team reps.  
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is also true...and always true TBH...however, the things that makes the buzz on Tyrell stand out as more interesting is 2 fold:

• It isn't so much camp reports, he is getting specifically mentioned and praised by Beane, the coaches, and Allen.
  • And they are backing that up by giving him snaps with the first unit even though we have no injuries to open up those reps.  He is getting them because they feel he has earned him.  That is a big sign of his stock rising because while every camp someone makes some plays or gets some observer buzz, its not very often that person is going on to see first team reps, often not even 2nd team reps.  

Yeah.  I was fairly confident a month or two ago that we'd end up keeping Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, MVS, Claypool, and Hollins.  

But I'm starting to wonder if Shavers is going to knock MVS or Claypool off the 53.   

Based on the camp buzz, I'm also starting to wonder if Hollins will have a bigger role on offense than I originally envisioned. 

For me, this is the most interesting position group on the Bills right now.  I'm really curious to see how the roster shakes out and if Brady can get good production from this motley crew and their diverse skill sets.  I'm assuming Shakir, Samuel and Keon will be the starters but Brady will have some of the other guys in on certain packages.       

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah.  I was fairly confident a month or two ago that we'd end up keeping Samuel, Shakir, Coleman, MVS, Claypool, and Hollins.  

But I'm starting to wonder if Shavers is going to knock MVS or Claypool off the 53.   

Based on the camp buzz, I'm also starting to wonder if Hollins will have a bigger role on offense than I originally envisioned. 

For me, this is the most interesting position group on the Bills right now.  I'm really curious to see how the roster shakes out and if Brady can get good production from this motley crew and their diverse skill sets.  I'm assuming Shakir, Samuel and Keon will be the starters but Brady will have some of the other guys in on certain packages.       

Me personally, I always felt Hollins was going to have a bigger role than people thought.  I saw him play a lot when he was a Raider and he is a legit WR...but it is all the dirty work he is so good at and wants to do that made me feel he was going to play a bigger role than people think.  The kind of role that doesn't always show up on the score board either.  Ability to block as a WR is important on this team and it is the one void left by Davis that needed to be filled.  And of course there is his ST abilities too.

I personally thought MVS was a guy who would be fringe to make this team, his inconsistent hands was never something I saw sticking here.   I just thought it would be Claypool that would make him expendable, didn't expect that to be Shavers...who is actually making both MVS and Claypools paths to the roster harder.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

...which is then lost by cutting MVS 😐

Depends on how many WRs they keep.  If we're saying Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, Hollins and Shavers are the top-5, they could opt to keep a 6th and that could be MVS.  And there's always the PS if he's willing to go there.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Me personally, I always felt Hollins was going to have a bigger role than people thought.  I saw him play a lot when he was a Raider and he is a legit WR...but it is all the dirty work he is so good at and wants to do that made me feel he was going to play a bigger role than people think.  The kind of role that doesn't always show up on the score board either.  Ability to block as a WR is important on this team and it is the one void left by Davis that needed to be filled.  And of course there is his ST abilities too.

I personally thought MVS was a guy who would be fringe to make this team, his inconsistent hands was never something I saw sticking here.   I just thought it would be Claypool that would make him expendable, didn't expect that to be Shavers...who is actually making both MVS and Claypools paths to the roster harder.

I didn't think much of the Hollins signing at first.  Then my son said he was a decent player for the Raiders.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

Shavers making the roster and contributing would be like found money.

34 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

...which is then lost by cutting MVS 😐

Going into the business of lost and found can be quite profitable, even if it’s small potatoes.

- Leigh Steinberg

• Like (+1) 1